Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

advice

comandz
12-19-2002, 02:14 PM
I have 2 quick questions. I am in the process of ordering my G, and i amd not sure if i should add the sports tire package and the nav system. Any suggestions?
thx

nas4a
12-19-2002, 02:18 PM
Are you talking sedan or coupe? If it's coupe, DEFINATELY order the wheel/tire package. The 18" coupe wheels are gorgeous.

Re. Nav...it's a personal preference. I chose not to. $2000 is just too much for what amounts to a gadget. I amost never get lost. It's up to you. From what I've heard, it's a very good nav system.

comandz
12-19-2002, 02:21 PM
i guess it is pretty obvious i am a first time poster. The car i am looking at is a coupe. I was wondering about the tires because i live in Chicago, and winter handling is a concern.

nas4a
12-20-2002, 08:55 AM
OK...if you're getting a manual transmission, it comes with the upgraded 18" wheels and tires standard, as well as Brembo brakes. If you're getting the Auto, you can add the 18" tire and wheel package as an option, but you cannot get Brembo's. Now, Like I said, I think the 18" wheels are gorgeous. The 17" wheels look ok, but the 18's are just amazing IMO...that being said, the tires on the 18's, Michelin Pilot Sports are HORRIBLE on snow/ice. They're average on wet roads, but HORRIBLE on snow/ice. Did I say that already? ;) The weekend I got my car, it had just snowed. My driveway has an incline of about 15 degrees, and is about 100 feet long. It had about 2" of packed snow on it, and the car went NOWHERE. I got maybe 15 feet up. It spent the first 3 nights parked at the bottom of the driveway...

My advise, and I know some people have done this...Get the upgraded tire and wheel package, but either a) buy a spare set of rims and snow tires for winter, or b) talk to your dealer about swapping the Michelin Pilot Sport tires for snow/all-season tires for the 18's.

But seriously, find a pic of a Coupe w/ 18's, then find a pic of one with 17's, it's no contest.

daddy Z
12-21-2002, 05:27 PM
My dealer just called and said he had a Red G35coup 6sp with everything less navigation.
It will be gone by monday so e-mail me if anyone is interested

carfanatic
12-27-2002, 12:20 PM
hey comandz,

i ordered my G35 coupe with leather a month ago. I was in the same situation as you are in now. I agree with everyone here...the 18's are a MUST!

As for the navagation system, it's true what most people mention here. It's more of a personal preference. If it's a weekend car, then it probably isn't necessary. If it's your main car, then you might want to consider one if you plan to go on trips with it. Also, keep in mind that the nav system is factory installed so I don't think you can get it installed at the dealer in the future (don't quote me on this one).

I ended up ordering the G35 coupe with leather and all the options(premium package, sport package, and nav system). Wasn't sure of the nav system but figured it was only $41 more per month if financed for 48 months and only $33 more per month if financed for 60 months. This will mostly be a recreation/weekend car and I don't plan to touch the car with aftermarket products so decided to fully load the car.

Good luck with the decision...

SuPeRcAr_MaN
12-28-2002, 03:29 PM
Damn, Daddy Z, that is a pretty G35.

rutz1972
01-16-2003, 12:51 PM
I agree that the Navigation is up to each individual. My wife said we didn't need it. I ended up getting my Sedan fully loaded with Navi and use it all the time. I am in sales an travel in my area alot. It just makes things so easy now. The car is absolutly amazing and is a head turner, thats for sure. I got the Black w/ light tan interior and heavily tinted windows. My neighbor bought one in Red with barely any options. It's funny with the two parked next too each other. Looks cool (I like mine beter of course). I will have to snap a photo and post it when I get a chance.

Add your comment to this topic!