Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Not for 4g's but it's head research, and I needed to vent.

Christ
11-11-2007, 09:30 PM
I was looking around really old threads (circa 2003) that I had googled for in the last couple years, and doing some research on swapping parts for other parts from other vehicles/makes of vehicle (this is my idea of fun).

I found a thread on RPR (thanks tony, for reminding me of this wonderful site.) that basically laid out what needed to be done to swap the 'teg HEAD ONLY ONTO THE EW MOTOR.. I wasn't aware that this could be done.. but apparently, aside from timing/fuel issues, it's basically bolt on.

So here's what I'm thinking for my '85, since I was going to actually rebuild another motor for it.. I can save money here.

EW block, bored for bigger pistons. Or maybe I'll use the EW pistons, that should yield about 7.4-7.8:1... perfect for high boost.
P&P D16A1 head
Full rotating balance, upper and lower
3-angle or 5-angle valves.
IC intake (Individual Carbs.. screw the wiring.)
Turbo box on the IC intake, using IHI RHB5 booster.
Full ARP lower end kit, custom milled hardened steel (better than grade 8) head studs. (the joys of working for a company w/ their own milling area/machine shop) More to come, definitely, as there are so many other things one could do w/ this combination... it's been reported to have at least 110HP w/ the ECU and everything done up, still running rich, and cams retarded 6-8*. (minor timing belt issue)...

The low compression/high boost combination should yield MUCH greater power.. I have a few ways to fix the cam timing, including adjustable cam gears, since I can have bushings inserted in B-series cam/crank gears to fit the D-series and EW engines, and I have adjustable B-series cam gears already. (don't ask.) And w/ IC's, I will just have to tune some screws, instead of trying to play w/ maps and dick with fuel tuning for the boost.

The only REAL problem I see thus far is the not-so-reliable vacuum advance of the 86-87 'teg, since I won't be using an ECU at all, I won't be able to have electronic advance. (I know there are other options for this, but I'm not interested in using anything other than stock Honda parts, for the most part, in other words, No MSD shit, no Pertronix ignition kits, etc.) I was actually thinking about seeing if I could make that dizzy mechanical advance.. instead of vacuum, since there may be a problem w/ boosting and the dizzy advance, but all that will most likely be sorted out while building.

This is just the beginning, although I won't actually be doing any of this until AT LEAST mid-summer of next year, due to money and lack of access to the engine/car.

Sorry for the extremely long post that doesn't really belong in this forum, b/c it's for a 1st gen CRX... but hey, I needed to get all this out, and this is my favorite place to be. :screwy::grinyes:

Add your comment to this topic!