Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Temperamantal Door Lock 91 Q45

robertcg
11-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Hello All.

The drivers door lock is very temperamental. I insert the key and I cannot turn the key unless I jiggle it around for a while. Eventually I can get the key to turn and I am able to lock/unlock the door. The key works fine when used on the passanger door. I also tried a spare key and the results were the same. I am pretty certain the tumbler is the problem since I can feel the key binding on one or more pins in the tumbler. I tried lubricating the inside of the tumbler with graphite which did not help. I want to change the tumbler so my question is this- can I order a new tumbler from the dealer that will match my key or must I buy a tumbler with it's own matching key which would mean I would have to use a different key for each door hence forth?

Thanks for your help.

ppastos
10-05-2010, 01:02 AM
Try a little WD-40 instead of graphite. You have to use a little WD-40 every week if your locks are that bad.

I think a experienced lock smith can repair the lock while retaining the same key. A local lock smith told me that at least but ask around and see what comes up.

maxnix
10-22-2010, 02:49 PM
Try a little WD-40 instead of graphite. You have to use a little WD-40 every week if your locks are that bad.

I think a experienced lock smith can repair the lock while retaining the same key. A local lock smith told me that at least but ask around and see what comes up.

WD-40 is not a lubricant as it is hygroscopic. Might be worth R&R on the lock cylinder before it gets worse.

Add your comment to this topic!