Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuel Flooding problem???? Help!!!

santiagoanarosa
11-07-2007, 01:37 PM
My car was in good running condition. Then one day I decided to buy fuel injector cleaner. I put it in my car and the very next day my car started to hesitate. There was a strong gas smell as I drove my car. I took my car for a diagnostic and I was told that my injectors are being flooded. The injectors are getting to much fuel. (car flooding) I took my car to a garage so he can repair it. He stated that its not flooding and that it was the fuel filter. Car work good for a few days and then it started hesitating again. Strong gas smell still exists. When driving, I constantly smell a strong gas odor and the car hesitates badly.

1. car hesitates
2. strong gas odor
3. black smoke comes out of muffler
4. car shuts off as I'm driving

1990 Mitsubishi eclipse
1.8 engine

I maintain my car and is always in good shape, except for this. I'm in desperation. Can someone give me any answers?

Thank you greatly....

Desperate Ana

david-b
11-07-2007, 02:23 PM
My car was in good running condition. Then one day I decided to buy fuel injector cleaner. I put it in my car and the very next day my car started to hesitate. There was a strong gas smell as I drove my car. I took my car for a diagnostic and I was told that my injectors are being flooded. The injectors are getting to much fuel. (car flooding) I took my car to a garage so he can repair it. He stated that its not flooding and that it was the fuel filter. Car work good for a few days and then it started hesitating again. Strong gas smell still exists. When driving, I constantly smell a strong gas odor and the car hesitates badly.

1. car hesitates
2. strong gas odor
3. black smoke comes out of muffler
4. car shuts off as I'm driving

1990 Mitsubishi eclipse
1.8 engine

I maintain my car and is always in good shape, except for this. I'm in desperation. Can someone give me any answers?

Thank you greatly....

Desperate Ana

Welcome to AF!
Thank you for supplying all the information that you did. It helps us out a lot.

Cleaner won't make the injectors "flood" the engine. I know when I've used those I had some smoke coming from my exhaust from cleaning, but that was when I first bought it and it had never been done.

A bad fuel filter could cause issues like that. But it seems like that was fixed.

Is there a Check Engine Light?

The Ignition coil may also be your problem. No/erratic spark will cause fuel no to get burned in the cylinder causing the car to run bad. I know there's ways to check the coil, but not sure on the 1.8 how to do it.

Bad injectors may cause this problem too as they may just be leaking instead of actually spraying right, but that's rare.

inafogg
11-07-2007, 02:35 PM
hi ana fuel smell means either a leak or gas is not being burned.i assume
there are no leaks.so gas is not being burned when was last tune up?if its
been tuned recently you could have a bad spark plug or a possible injector
sticking open.i would check spark plugs all of them.1 is probolly gas fouled
replace it or all if not been tuned lately.check for spark on fouled plug.
if all is ok maybe having injectors cleaned. good luck & hope this will help

santiagoanarosa
11-07-2007, 03:10 PM
Welcome to AF!
Thank you for supplying all the information that you did. It helps us out a lot.

Cleaner won't make the injectors "flood" the engine. I know when I've used those I had some smoke coming from my exhaust from cleaning, but that was when I first bought it and it had never been done.

A bad fuel filter could cause issues like that. But it seems like that was fixed.

Is there a Check Engine Light?

The Ignition coil may also be your problem. No/erratic spark will cause fuel no to get burned in the cylinder causing the car to run bad. I know there's ways to check the coil, but not sure on the 1.8 how to do it.

Bad injectors may cause this problem too as they may just be leaking instead of actually spraying right, but that's rare.

Yes, the check engine light is on constantly.

SilvrEclipse
11-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Go to advance auto zone and have them check it. They do it for free, then tell us what the codes are.

Blackcrow64
11-07-2007, 05:06 PM
Just so ya know, I merged the duplicate thread and this one since it had a reply in it already.

Add your comment to this topic!