Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How to convert a RR to a Chevy

black_adder2
12-02-2002, 04:33 AM
350 V8? Any ideas or links?

Thanks!

Scott 02
02-18-2003, 06:17 AM
Don't even bother trying, Rolls Royce engines probably have not chevy parts in common.

Hudson
02-18-2003, 12:34 PM
Older three-speed Rolls-Royces have ONE key part in common with GM cars: their transmission. The three-speed automatic transmissions used in the 1960s and 1970s were supplied by General Motors. Converting a Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow (and similar models) wouldn't be too difficult, but why would you scrap such a great engine as the Rolls-Royce 6.75L V8?

Scott 02
02-18-2003, 01:32 PM
why would you scrap such a great engine as the Rolls-Royce 6.75L V8?

Same thing I was thinking. I'd never scrap that V-8. Just sounds like a foolish thing to do and way too much effort for nothing to be involved. He might think different. Black_Adder2 proabably just wanted to know if it could ever happen and the answer is....yes. Some way, some how it can proabably happen.

Jimster
02-18-2003, 09:13 PM
Please please please don't mess up that Rolls Royce by putting a crappy 5.7mass-produced V8 in the place of an exclusive 6.75 produced for a car of such finesse

kratefan
12-29-2003, 12:02 AM
Please please please don't mess up that Rolls Royce by putting a crappy 5.7mass-produced V8 in the place of an exclusive 6.75 produced for a car of such finesse
There are actually kits to do this very thing. Some people take the Rolls engine out to preserve it while they drive the rest of the car. It's MUCH cheaper to replace the Chevy engine than a Rolls. I think some limo companies do this also (after they've butchered the car by cutting them in two).

CarPassionist
02-01-2004, 06:27 PM
but why would you scrap such a great engine as the Rolls-Royce 6.75L V8?

When cash flow is draining.... :2cents: :p :grinno:

MagicRat
04-04-2004, 05:30 PM
My buddy worked with a local limo company for a while. Every one of their Rolls cars (most were not stretched), except for one had a Chevy engine. Its much more cost effective, especially for commercial applications.
(I suspect the one Rolls engine there had not self destructed yet)

kratefan
05-10-2004, 08:23 PM
My buddy worked with a local limo company for a while. Every one of their Rolls cars (most were not stretched), except for one had a Chevy engine.
1. Its much more cost effective, especially for commercial applications.
2. (I suspect the one Rolls engine there had not self destructed yet)
As for 1., Yes, you can replace a Chevy engine for MUCH less than it would cost to even look at a RR engine.

As for number 2., having owned a RR, the mechanics of the engine are incredible. There was NO vibration. I think mechanically it would run a long time, the electrics. . . .
Jeff

CarPassionist
05-17-2004, 04:20 PM
Ang the transmission was also from General Motors till the 4-Speed from Silver Spirit. If I am not mistaken, the V8 Motor has also a relation to GM too, but I don't remember exactly. I have read it in an article abouthe V8-Engines years ago. :rolleyes:

But it a shame to do it that at this magnificent car :frown:
You either afford it, buy it and rive it because it is a Rolls.

sub006
03-22-2005, 09:42 PM
Caddy 500's are a great alternative. L.A. shope insatlled quite a few in the '70s and 80's. Smooth and quiet as a Rolls with twice the torque.

Jaguar D-Type
05-12-2005, 12:03 AM
Bentley's V-8 dates back to a GM V-8 from the 1950s.

caughlins
07-09-2006, 06:26 PM
You can do it but the transmission is not the only concern. The brakes are powered by pumps off of the cam shaft. You will not have a place for these on Any other motor. The motor mounts are set up as one in the front and two at the transmission to enigine area. The Subframe is a sealed unit and cutting into it will leave it vunerable to rusting. As far as the Rolls motor being based off of a GM motor I do not believe that it is as it is a sleeved motor and is aluminum. That being said it has been done using GM based brake power boost used on desiel trucks. There are companies out there that will do it in such a way as to allow the orignal motor to be refitted.

sub006
07-10-2006, 10:57 AM
You might want to contact Dick Guldstrand (the Corvette racer/tuner/builder) at Guldstrand Motorsports in Burbank, California.

His was one of theshops replacing burned-up Rolls engines in almost-new, just-out-of-warranty Rollers from Beverly Hills and Hollywood in the time period described above. He used new Caddy engines and could tell you what's involved in the swap.

Add your comment to this topic!