Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Exhuast Question

HiT-TheNos420
10-23-2007, 04:31 AM
Been searching for the answer to this question. I have a 97 gst and want to upgrade my stock exhaust, which is also leaking. (1) I am buying a whole 3" system at once, what other parts, fittings, etc. do I need to make it everything fit and flow nice on a stock exhuast system? and (2) how difficult would it be to install it myself, with little experience.

david-b
10-23-2007, 05:40 AM
You really don't need much else. Sometimes you may have to get a flange (like on the cat) welded on, but that's it. Any shop will do that for real cheap.

Install is easy. I did mine when I was still kinda new to all of this and just took a hack-saw to different sections. It depends on how rusty everything is too.

SilvrEclipse
10-23-2007, 07:03 AM
I had to cut mine apart also. It was so rusted there was no hope. Also use the biggest socket wrench you can find. I had to put a 3ft piece of pipe on the bolts to the cat.

david-b
10-23-2007, 07:55 AM
When I did mine everything got replaced, so I also took a hammer and a screw driver to beat the hell out of it (around the flex pipe) because the manifold bolts wouldn't come off. But it doesn't sound like you're going that far up. And on the turbo, they're usually easier anyways.

SilvrEclipse
10-23-2007, 08:06 AM
Mine in all replaced now. The only bolts that are even on the exhaust are the ones that bolt up to the turbo. The rest is welded together... Damn exhaust shop

TalonEclipseMixGsx
10-23-2007, 09:17 AM
Install isn't that bad. Are you installing the downpipe and the catback. I took my exhaust off as a whole assembly (from o2 housing to muffler) since it was rusted. Are you going to be running a cat or a test pipe? My exhaust came with all the necessary bolts and gaskets.

HiT-TheNos420
10-26-2007, 03:16 AM
Well I did some searching on the net for a both test pipe and cat, but since I just got my smog done and my tags renewed :) ima go for a test pipe. And later on buy a cheap cat setup for future smog testings. I also read on these forums about EBAy exhaust systems, stainless steel, that have done people good, so i might go with one of those. I Also have an Old MaxSpeed Muffler I got when I got my first Eclipse with a 4.5" tip that i might have welded on. I dont know right now if ima do that or not.

gthompson97
10-26-2007, 07:06 AM
3" Apexi-N1 ftw. Or a custom mandrel-bent exhaust with a good muffler on the back shall work wonders for you too.

SilvrEclipse
10-26-2007, 10:51 AM
Just go with Ebay exhaust. I dont know how much 3" cat back is but I had an exhaust shop make 2.5" for my car and it ended up costing just has much by the time I bought the muffler to. The shop did a great job but it would have been easier to just buy it online.

defiancy
10-26-2007, 10:52 AM
Agree. For a GST any e-bay exhaust is pretty good. I would look into Megan Racing for the downpipe. They are cheap as hell and great quality.

I ran an e-bay Tsudo cat back on my GST and it was great.

I think IIRC I paid about $300 or so for everything.

HiT-TheNos420
10-27-2007, 05:17 AM
cool, thanks for the info guys. If i dont go to tahoe for my birthday next weekend i will definently be buying a new system.

Add your comment to this topic!