Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2005 Jetta Station Wagon Smells Like Cat Pee Inside

Grayson1
10-20-2007, 12:51 PM
Hi There,
My neighbor moved in about 3-4 months ago. After a month, her car (http://www.2carpros.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=133282#) began to smell like ammonia inside. I have sat in her car and smelled it and it is strong.

She is blaming my cats. She says that they are spraying the tires and under carriage of her car (http://www.2carpros.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=133282#) because she transports her dog in the car.

I am not so sure because:
1) There is another dog owner in our p-lot and they have never approached me about this issue.

2) I struggled with a cat pee smell in my own vehicle (1998 Dodge Dakota) for 5 years before I broke down and spent $1,500.00 to get the dash pulled, the carpet replaced, and the problem fixed (The work was by Toyota Pre-Owned in Ft Myers,FL but it only lasted 2 years and the carpet crystals are back - another story).

3) I own a portable black light that came with the product Urine Gone. I have repeatedly checked the tires and undercarriage of her car and do not see anything.

Can you let me know if this is a problem that other VW Jetta wagon owners have had?

The owner refuses to get the mechanical aspect of this issue checked due to "cost" but she is demanding that I keep my indoor/outdoor cats inside and pay for her vehicle to be cleaned.

THANKS!!:smokin:

FantasticChadwick
11-08-2007, 07:21 PM
Just to let your neighbor know, my fiancee' has an 05' Jetta station wagon that also gets a cat pee smell inside. There have been no cats in or around the vehicle. She smells it in the air conditioner and the smell comes and goes. So you can tell your neighbor to spend her energy finding solutions rather than blaming everyone around her.

If anyone knows the source of this problem please let me know. I'd be thrilled to fix the issue.

Thanks

Ladydi_87
06-25-2008, 11:23 PM
It's possible the pollin filter needs to be replaced. The filter is a little tricky to remove so she may have to take it to a mechanic, although it can be done by someone with little knowledge of cars. She should also have her AC unit checked.

BTW, your cats aren't causing the problem. We live in the country and have tons of stray male cats wandering through our place in the spring. They've sprayed around our '05 Jetta Wagon tons of times and the smell has never EVER permiated into the car itself.

ryanj44
06-26-2008, 11:02 PM
Wow, I'm glad I read this post!! I have a 2006 Jetta and have cleaned the inside three times and the smell still returns! The only time I really notice it is if I start the car and it has been sitting in the sun all day. I crank the air conditioning on and it takes about a minute for the smell to fill the car. I also notice it when I put the ECON button on, which shuts off the A/C. I'll have to check into the pollin filter, but if you guys find anything else out, please post!! The smell is really getting on my nerves!

Add your comment to this topic!