Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Knocking noise-Timing Belt? Wont start!

MAXPOWER1
10-11-2007, 02:53 PM
I own a 1998 Mercury Mystique, similar to the contour. Its a 2.5 GS with 108,000 Miles. This car has been sitting for 8 months. Prior to the 8 months, the car had a slight knocking sound coming from the mid to left side of the top of the engine. I dont know if the sound is reverberrating from somewhere else. The car wont start. It sounds like it wants to start but it seems it should be turning over faster. I checked the compression without actually starting

the car, only turning it over for about 5 seconds, and the compression only read about 65. I figure this could be because the car was sitting for so long. By opening up the oil cap and taking out a plug, i could see the cam and crank moving. This evening, I'll drain the oil and maybe take the oilpan off to look for shards of a bearing. Do I need to replace the timing belt? Help me. What is this knocking noise and why wont the car start?

beyondloadedSE
10-11-2007, 03:13 PM
Was 65 psi in all cylinders?

Mine with good compression with 8.5:1 custom compression pistons read 120 psi.

If its knocking, its more than likely a rod bearing. Thats pretty typical with these motors. Thats one reason why us contour owners run a full quart more of oil than recommended.

This motor has timing chains, not belts. If you pull the oil pan, you wont have to replace them. If you did have to replace the chains, you might as well pull the entire motor. Its a major PITA.

MAXPOWER1
10-11-2007, 03:29 PM
And what if its a rod bearing. Will I see shards in the oil pan? How hard is it to take off the oil pan? Will I need to take off exhaust, etc.? Will I need to replace the motor?

beyondloadedSE
10-11-2007, 05:21 PM
And what if its a rod bearing. Will I see shards in the oil pan? How hard is it to take off the oil pan? Will I need to take off exhaust, etc.? Will I need to replace the motor?

I believe you can get off the oil pan without removing the y-pipe. Yes, if its a bearing, you should see metal shards in the oil pick up screen. Oil pan is not hard. If the bearing is spun...its time for a 3.0L. ;)

wafrederick
11-03-2007, 07:09 PM
It is a big job,the engine comes out from the bottom with the transmission bolted together and make sure the grounds are in the right spots.You will burn up the transmission if you don't.

Add your comment to this topic!