Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Gas cap

rrk1368
09-19-2007, 11:10 AM
I have a 2007 Sonata. I have a very hard time getting the gas cap off when filling up. I've noticed that gas station attendants sometimes have the same problem. I'm just curious, does anyone else have this problem? If so, can anything be done. I have to add, I have arthritis in my hands, so thats maybe the problem. Thanks for any help.

Bear
09-23-2007, 09:53 PM
I have a 2007 as well and no problem, the cap seems a bit weird in that it appears loose when I turn it backwards to remove, but it pulls right off after about one half turn. on reinstall I turn it two clicks down

LesGrandsPieds
09-25-2007, 06:09 PM
That's the new style of gas-cap that seals off the gas tank completely. I have an '06 Sonata, same thing.

My grandma's car, an '02 Lexus ES 300, is the first car I saw that had it. It's kinda spring loaded, so it sticks in there really well and you don't have to turn it that far to put it on. When you put the cap back on after fueling up, you can turn it counter-clockwise just enough to check to make sure you can feel the springiness, that's how you know it's on right.

I'm convinced it's a superior type of cap. The reason new cars have it is to help with the emissions that normally result from the fumes of unburned fuel.

Add your comment to this topic!