Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 LSC won't start!

IMtnBike
08-30-2007, 09:16 PM
My 1997 Mark VIII won't start. IT has a new battery. The engine turns over fine but will not start. My mechanic seems to think it has something to do with the security system. Has anyone had a problem like this. It started fine and I drove it 100 miles. when I tried to start it the next morning, no go. Could the chip in the key be defective or something? All suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

Jeff:banghead:

randr456
09-18-2007, 09:03 PM
if pats light is not flashing transponder is ok try upluging crankshaft position sensor and reinstalling known terminal problem

89oldsregancy
09-27-2007, 11:07 PM
does the car have a fuel pump shut off switch usally in the trunk on mark 7s neer the air ride switch

BlackiceLSC
11-18-2007, 07:50 PM
probably a crank position sensor, as mentioned above.

the CPS is mounted on the passenger side of the engine, down low, between the A/C compressor and the oil pan. There is a small harness pig-tail there. Un-plug it, and plug it right back in. If the car starts, then plan to replace this part soon. Some folks have been lucky, and only had the NO START symptom 1 or 2 times during ownership, and the CPS reset procedure worked every time for them.

Could also be the Camshaft Positioning sensor, located behind the power steering pump resevoir. Harder to get to, but easier to replace than the crank sensor. The cam sensor works the same way...just unplug it, and plug it right back in.

But of course, check the inertia switch in the trunk first. It is a fuel pump shut-off switch triggered by impact. If you park on the street and someone tapped your rear bumper while attempting to park, it can trigger the inertia switch.

when you turn the key ON, do you hear the fuel pump PRIME for a second or so? If not...check that switch first. Driver's side of the trunk-just look for the yellow sticker.

Add your comment to this topic!