Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Trying to track down a VIN, can you help..

Shedracing
08-23-2007, 07:51 PM
Hello,
I want to track down a 78 T/A I owned a few years back. I live in the bay area CA. My question is does anyone know if DMV will give you your vehicle history if you ask. I'm looking for the VIN so I can run it on carfax. Now I know your thinking why not just ask DMV right. Well the DMV's near me have been a major pain in the a$$. If some tells me they have done this I will go back down and just be more assertive.

Thanks for your time,

Ron

'97ventureowner
08-23-2007, 11:23 PM
I know in NY the DMV has records of previously owned vehicles, but I'm not sure how far back they go. The DMV has a booth at our state fair where people can look up their driving record and they also have a record of vehicles registered in your name complete with other info including the VIN #. I would also check your state's DMV website to see if there is any info on whether or not they have the info you are looking for. If all else fails then you would have to go down to your local office. If NY does it I see no reason why CA wouldn't. In fact if they do they probably charge for a printout of the report like they do here in NY, (anything to increase their revenue:lol:)

Add your comment to this topic!