Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

04 Prix - New brake pads/rotors car shutters when braking

mbeukelman
08-12-2007, 08:39 PM
2004 Grand Prix GT

I’m a new “do it yourselfer” and was trying to install new front brake pads and rotors on my car.

I was very careful to follow the instructions and everything seemed to work fine however when I get going above 60 MPH I get a vibration in the steering wheel and the car shutters. At slower speeds I don’t notice it as much but I can still feel it slightly if I’m paying attention.

To try and remedy it I unassembled everything to make sure the new rotors were VERY clean, and was sure to tighten all bolts to spec. Does anyone have any idea what is causing this and what a remedy would be. The one thing I didn’t do was bleed the brake lines as the manual didn’t say it was necessary, but would this help?

Thank you for your help, this was supposed to be a short project which turned into a weekend.

Matt

wolfkin_j
08-13-2007, 12:27 AM
your tires need balancing, if problem only occurs when braking on the other hand you have warped rotors and need to take them to a shop to have them cut.

mbeukelman
08-13-2007, 08:57 AM
your tires need balancing, if problem only occurs when braking on the other hand you have warped rotors and need to take them to a shop to have them cut.

Thanks for the advice, I do need new tires, but the issue didn't start until I put on brand new rotors right out of the box. Is it possible they were warped new out of the box?

Niq
08-13-2007, 12:28 PM
If the rotors are from Korea, then maybe they suck. Did the inside diameter of the rotor fit correctly onto the hub? Has anyone heard of "out of balanced" rotors? I don't think bleeding your brakes makes a diff here. It's got to be either the rotors or the tires...... (Just my two cents..)

mbeukelman
08-13-2007, 01:49 PM
If the rotors are from Korea, then maybe they suck. Did the inside diameter of the rotor fit correctly onto the hub? Has anyone heard of "out of balanced" rotors? I don't think bleeding your brakes makes a diff here. It's got to be either the rotors or the tires...... (Just my two cents..)

The rotors did fit the hub fine, but off the top of my head I don't know where they were from. I have heard that sometimes if they sit for two long they have run off - when the rotors are warped out of the box, but I don't have any tools to check for it.

I think I'll try and put on my old rotors and see if it resolves the issue, if it does watch out automotive store because I'm going to BE PISSED if they sold me crap rotors and won't take them back because I used them for 10 miles.

Niq
08-13-2007, 07:03 PM
The rotors did fit the hub fine, but off the top of my head I don't know where they were from. I have heard that sometimes if they sit for two long they have run off - when the rotors are warped out of the box, but I don't have any tools to check for it.

I think I'll try and put on my old rotors and see if it resolves the issue, if it does watch out automotive store because I'm going to BE PISSED if they sold me crap rotors and won't take them back because I used them for 10 miles.

I was going to mention putting the old ones back on, but wasn't sure if you wanted to put additional wear on your new pads. I’m sure it’s highly not recommended. i.e. I think your going to have some accelerated wear on the new pads if you put the old rotors back on. I wouldn't recommend a friend to do it, but I myself would, just for a quick test. I would just leave the old rotors on just long enough to find out in the vibration goes away, then stop driving with the old rotors.

FYI, now is a good time to upsize your front rotors, if you have larger wheels. I don’t mean to get off topic here…. I went from the stock 11” dia to 11.9” dia rotors. It didn’t cost that much, and there was a great improvement in braking power. I splurged and got slotted rotors, and have not had any brake fade issues discussed in previous posts. (Rain or shine) If you interested I’ll post everything I learned doing this upgrade. Theirs some important things to consider before doing this...

Heres the pics. And yeah I know the rotors are on backwards, swapped them that same day.
pic 01 (http://home.kc.rr.com/dfisher10/06-Aft-Side.jpg)
pic 02 (http://home.kc.rr.com/dfisher10/03-Aft-frt.jpg)

mbeukelman
08-13-2007, 11:15 PM
I was going to mention putting the old ones back on, but wasn't sure if you wanted to put additional wear on your new pads. I’m sure it’s highly not recommended. i.e. I think your going to have some accelerated wear on the new pads if you put the old rotors back on. I wouldn't recommend a friend to do it, but I myself would, just for a quick test. I would just leave the old rotors on just long enough to find out in the vibration goes away, then stop driving with the old rotors.

FYI, now is a good time to upsize your front rotors, if you have larger wheels. I don’t mean to get off topic here…. I went from the stock 11” dia to 11.9” dia rotors. It didn’t cost that much, and there was a great improvement in braking power. I splurged and got slotted rotors, and have not had any brake fade issues discussed in previous posts. (Rain or shine) If you interested I’ll post everything I learned doing this upgrade. Theirs some important things to consider before doing this...

Heres the pics. And yeah I know the rotors are on backwards, swapped them that same day.
pic 01 (http://home.kc.rr.com/dfisher10/06-Aft-Side.jpg)
pic 02 (http://home.kc.rr.com/dfisher10/03-Aft-frt.jpg)

Hey thanks for the advice, I cleaned up the old rotors and will give it a try tomorrow. As for the pad wear, for what they cost I'm not to worried about it.

Also, thanks for the advice on the larger rotors, I'll take that into consideration when I throw a sh!t storm at the auto store.

mbeukelman
08-14-2007, 10:45 PM
I know everyone cares about how this worked out for me. Well, I put on my old rusty beat up rotors and the vibration is gone, so the issue must have been with the new rotors, I'm going to bring them back tomorrow.

Niq
08-15-2007, 11:19 AM
Yeah, I'm glad you found out what the problem was. Luckily it's a simple fix, mechanically speaking. If part stores are going to sell junk, they have to expect most of it to come back with an angry customer. That’s the neat thing about this forum. Everyone here gets to learn from everyone else's experience. Thanks for posting your problem here. It is here where I learned about the Chinese and Korean crap that’s out there. Did you find out were your rotors came from?

mbeukelman
08-15-2007, 04:33 PM
Yeah, I'm glad you found out what the problem was. Luckily it's a simple fix, mechanically speaking. If part stores are going to sell junk, they have to expect most of it to come back with an angry customer. That’s the neat thing about this forum. Everyone here gets to learn from everyone else's experience. Thanks for posting your problem here. It is here where I learned about the Chinese and Korean crap that’s out there. Did you find out were your rotors came from?

I got the rotors at Checker the parts said they were made in the USA and were Raybestos, normally I go to O'reilly, but they were out of stock. We will find out tongiht how good they are about returning junk.

Add your comment to this topic!