Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hyundai 2000 code P0171

kbherbie
08-08-2007, 10:38 PM
I am looking at buying a this car for my daughter and the check engine light came on while test driving I went and had a diagnostic test done and it showed a code P0171 System too lean . What would this be and how much could I expect to pay to fix the problem I can get the car for $2000 it has 103k is this a good deal with this problem? Karla

Jalmir
08-09-2007, 11:59 AM
the complete description for the code is :

System too lean, bank 1 Intake/exhaust leak, AIR system, MAF/VAF sensor, fuel pressure/pump, injector(s), HO2S

The first thing to check is for a vaccum leak or an intake gasket leak, also check the MAF and first oxygen sensor.

kbherbie
08-10-2007, 08:12 AM
Thanks for you reply. Do you have any idea how much this would cost if you take it in. And is the a serious problem? Thanks for your input. Kb

Jalmir
08-10-2007, 11:05 AM
Sorry I really don't how much it would cost, I mostly do all that myself and when I find the defective part I go buy it and change it myself ...

And yes, it's a serious problem, a car that run lean will eventually die, lean means there is not enough fuel getting in the engine (hence a possible vacuum leak : more air gets in the engine) fuel also act as a lubrican and help cooling the engine down a little, so if you keep on running lean the engine will be damaged and will eventually need to be change.

Add your comment to this topic!