Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

blower motor wont turn off

jonahj
08-05-2007, 03:18 PM
i have a jeep grand cherokee (1995, 5.2 liter) my blower motor wont turn off whenever i turn my car off, or when i turn it off from the dash console. whats wrong with it, is it the resistor? i can only turn it off by taking out the blower motor fuse. i need help please let me know? thanks

jburlin
11-02-2007, 09:13 PM
i have a jeep grand cherokee (1995, 5.2 liter) my blower motor wont turn off whenever i turn my car off, or when i turn it off from the dash console. whats wrong with it, is it the resistor? i can only turn it off by taking out the blower motor fuse. i need help please let me know? thanks

Did you ever discover the solution to this problem?
Thanks

Bob D.
11-04-2007, 12:09 AM
It's usually the control switch that gets too hot, melts slightly and causes the circuit to stay closed.

croozer
11-08-2007, 04:42 PM
It`s the resistor under your heater box. Replace it.

psycho_maniac
02-21-2008, 09:27 AM
Could somebody explain more? How do you go about replacing the resistor? I have this same problem in my 99 WJ. Also Where do i get the parts from?

croozer
02-21-2008, 11:43 AM
Could somebody explain more? How do you go about replacing the resistor? I have this same problem in my 99 WJ. Also Where do i get the parts from?
Look under the heaterbox on the passenger side below your glovebox. its about 4" X 4" square with a weatherpak plug on it. It has screws holding it on, Remove the screws and wire to take it out. The dealer will have the part for you. Its pricey, I`m not sure if local parts houses have this resistor. My wife works for the regional parts wharehouse for Chrysler/Jeep so it was easy for me to get it.

psycho_maniac
02-28-2008, 01:04 PM
is there a fuse for the heater? i think i may have blown it because i took the resistor box out and when i went to plug it back in now the motor doesnt turn on at all. I would also like to add that I own a 99 gradn cherokee limited

tiffanysandoval
03-12-2008, 11:30 AM
GA_googleFillSlot("Forums_ROS_300x250_noad");I have a 94' Jeep Grand Cherokee with a straight 6 motor, I also have a remote starter in this also. Just recently I changed the oil pan gasket, now when i turn the car off the information display wont shut off and drains my battery... I tried taking out the fuse and when i do that my car shuts off. Also, my heater will turn on without the key in the ignition and I can put my windows up and down without the key in it... this car is posessed!! Anyone have any info.for me please!!

jeeper186
12-28-2009, 05:41 PM
I know this is an old thread. I am also having the same trouble with the blower motor not shutting off in a 98 JGC limited with a 4.0. I have replaced the control unit in the dash and the resistor next to the fan motor with no luck. Yea, I went to the recycle yard to get the parts thinking there cant be that many that would have the same problem. But I guess you never know. This one sure looked good when I inspected it. Wish I knew how to test the resistor. Just to many electronics inside. Could someone give more insight as to if I am on the right track? I am really getting tired of the hanging switch to turn it off and on. Thank in advance. :banghead: :shakehead

croozer
12-28-2009, 07:41 PM
It is common that the resistor on the box goes bad. Replace it with new. Gambling with the scrap yard will most likely get you junk parts.

Biigpuker
06-15-2011, 01:49 PM
I too am having the same problem. I have a 99 limited with the auto temp control. So far I have ruled out the ignition switch. Now I am trying to locate the relay for the blower motor thinking this may have fused the tips together. I really hate taking it to the dealer but in a few days it's gonna get up in the 90's again. Anyone else have some idea?

96JeppOwner
08-05-2017, 06:27 PM
I know this makes no sense, but it is the blower resistor. Yes, I know it doesn't compute that a bad resister would deliver power to the blower with the key off and out of the ignition. My 96 Grand had the same issue and I figured it must be the relay (behind the glovebox on the end of a cable) - but swapped that out and it made no difference. I presented the problem to the Jepp Dealership mechanics ( 3 in the shop at the time) and they were stumped - suggested the 'electrical diagnostic test' at $135 for the first hour. Well, I bought the $200 Mopar resister and TaDa - everthing works perfectly.

Add your comment to this topic!