Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Upper Dash for 99 Camaro SS

in4sit
07-11-2007, 09:58 AM
Anyone ever replaced one of these? I just want to know if I need to take the hole dash apart to replace.

Also anyone have a link on how to do this and a link to here I can buy a new uppper dash?

Earlsfat
07-13-2007, 12:49 PM
HAHA... Cmaero??? That type of talk won't get you far around here, lmao.

I have a 70 so it's probably MUCH different, but not THAT much different. Lots less wires in mine, lol.

You're talking about the DASH PAD, right? If so the short answer is yes... you gonna hafta take everything that's attached to it off.

Long answer: there should be some clips that hold it to a brace mounted into the top of the firewall. Get on your back in the wheel weel, with a nice flashlight (preferably one that has a base you can aim up there and have out of your way) and look along the seam at the front of the dash pad. There should be some clips. (Mine had about 8 clip spaces, but used only 6... hillbilly resto job). You'll probably have to unscrew the lower trim pieces (not probably, you will) from the dash pad to get it off and put the new one on... Use masking tape to tape the screws next to where they go if you're not sure you'll remember. I imagine there'll be a total quagmire of wires up there, just be careful not to pull / cut them, etc. The dash pad should require you to actually unplug or disconnect any of them. Put the new one on, put everything back in the reverse order you took it off... good to go. Maybe take you a couple of hours once you've figured how to get the old one off there.

You might wanna wait and see if anyone else who's done this on a 3 or 4 gen knows more, but that should basically be it.

Not sure if they're making repro dash pads yet, might be a dealer item. Plan on it running you $300-$400 for a new one. Don't know what one out of a boneyard will run you... that is, if you can find one that's in decent shape.

ikeyballz
07-13-2007, 08:10 PM
lol, at least it sounds like camaro..

cm ae ro..

compared to ca ME ro

Add your comment to this topic!