Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Sparkplug seems to be soldered in

mudhawaii
07-11-2007, 08:21 AM
'97 Mercury Mountaineer, 5.0, 90K+.
I was changing out the original plugs and #3 cylinder broke off. After removing the ceramic and electrode I still could not remove the shell with a square or spiral easy-outs. I cleaned the corrsosion around the plug and found metal (solder like material) all around the shell to the head. I used a rotary tool and carbide chipper bits to remove some (about 1/8") and no luck removing the shell. I drilled multiple holes around the shell and noted metal coming from each hole but I am still unable to remove the shell. Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Photos available.
mudhawaii@sbcglobal.net

shorod
07-11-2007, 12:29 PM
Hmm, maybe a Heli-Coil or similar insert has already been used in that plug hole and that's what you're seeing?

I assume you'll be sure to use anti-seize when you do finally get this repaired.

I wish you luck, and am glad to say I don't have any experience to help you out with this one. Sorry.

-Rod

mudhawaii
07-11-2007, 03:21 PM
Found the problem. It seems as though something had gotten on either the plug or header and had melted (looked like low temp solder). After chipping away a bit more it came out. Everything else seems to be OK. I put it back together and it sounds good.

shorod
07-11-2007, 09:32 PM
Wow, congratulations on the less difficult fix, and thank you for the follow-up!

Glad to hear you got your issue solved.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!