Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

88 VW Fox Wagon-- noisy fan in dash

lquin
07-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Hi, I've had my VW Fox Wagon new since 1988 and just love my "wee blue beastie". Right now I have a very noisy fan in the dash that sounds like it is hitting against something. The noise gets higher in pitch when I increase the fan speed. I could probably fix the problem myself but am not sure how to get access to the fan. Before I start prying things off the dash (and likely breaking them) does anyone out ther know how I should go about getting access to the fan in the dash?

Thanks...Lesley in Victoria BC

lquin
07-15-2007, 12:47 AM
Well I did manage to get this fixed. For anyone interested the fan is accessible from the engine side of the dash. Remove the plastic ribbed cover just under where the windshield wiper motor is and then the plastic black rectangular box under that (three clips hold it in). In my case it was a "rectifier" -- or that's what my brother called it, that has come loose and was lying against the housing for the fan motor. Some well placed electrical tape and voila! A quiet running fan. Just what I need as we set a record temp of just shy of 37 degrees the other day (that's celsius for those in the US).
:) Lesley

Add your comment to this topic!