Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

R12 to R134a Conversion, I need help by someone who has done this before.

06-29-2007, 05:09 PM
Ok I have a 1993 ford ranger and it of course has r12 refrigerent in it and I want to convert it because it is becoming hot in california, and the other day I took it into town the air didn't work at all!! I got sick with heat exhaustion on that day. I would highly appreciate some help from someone with prior experience. My dad and I do all of our own work on out cars, and I was just wondering if you could tell me what I need to do to be successful the first time. Like tips, good places to buy parts, etc. Please help I get to see my dad tomorrow and we would like to complete this over the weekend if possible.

06-30-2007, 12:33 AM
To do it properly is somewhat of a long process. For one after releasing the original R-12 (which should be done in accordance with EPA instructions) you have to replace the accumulator/drier, vacate the system with a vaccum pump, then charge it with the new refirgerant. I doubt it if you have the necessary tools and equipment. It would be best if you get a pro do it for you.

Add your comment to this topic!