Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Problems with optimas after 50k miles?

The KP NESS
06-25-2007, 06:34 PM
I have been hearing a lot of different things about optimas like the timing belt goes after 50k so I would like to know what anybody has heard

mvisgak
07-18-2007, 03:18 PM
My 2004 Kia Optima is at 118,000+ and I bought it brand new with 14 miles on it 12/31/03. The timing belt went last night. Short of normal maintenance (brakes, tires, headlights), this has been the only issue that has arisen in my ownership. And it wouldn't have been a problem if we had looked at the maintenance schedule and changed the belt back at 60,000, or even 110,000. Our ignorance. Hopefully it won't cost us anything more than the belt. I'm very thankful for my Kia. It has treated me very, very well. As you can tell from my mileage I drive a lot and this little beauty has been a solid, reliable car!

- Michelle

wyldstorm
11-15-2007, 03:22 PM
I bought my Kia Optima in 2001 and I have been in and out of the dealership repair shop a year later with nothing but problems. :disappoin We joke every time I take my car in how they might as well set me up my own waiting room and we talk like we have been friends for years which is basically how it is since I have been in there so much.

I would not buy another Kia whatsoever. :nono: I wouldn't have this one if it wasn't for the fact that after the divorce I can't get another car and I held on to it this long also because of the warranty. Now the warranty is gone except for the powertrain warranty and it is making it difficult to keep up with all it's problems.

So what I am saying is mine has had problems since the beginning and still having problems. I am dealing with the speed sensor now and just got it out of the shop after it had been in there for nearly a month for other problems dealing with timing even though I had a new timing belt put on last year.

I am now considering just going and trading down just to get rid of it after this last time because too many problems and now this speed sensor. Myself I would recommend NOT buying a Kia but that is just me because to me Kia sucks. :loser:

analyzerlx
01-03-2008, 08:47 PM
I have a little over 70,000 miles and have been unable to afford a new timing belt for my 2004 EXV6 Optima. So far the most annoying problem is the fact my check engine light came on 3 times and and turned off with no problems? I plan on getting the service done eventually, when I get the money. Another problem that I had fixed under warranty was the receiver for the automatic door locks. I guess another minor issue is that I've had to replace lights around the vehicle several times, all within days or weeks of each other (lights aren't cheap!). Well, to go more in depth with the lights, I replace the headlights at least 5 of them and one license plate bulb a few turn signal bulbs and now a side marker bulb just went out??? The car is a real comfortable vehicle and considering the rough driving I've done, I am completely satisfied with the reliability of the car. I am completely confident that Kia makes a wonderful product and until recently was a Toyota loyalist, but now I believe I'm behind Kia all the way. BTW I average 25 mpg in mixed mountain/ hwy driving.

jsinton
01-18-2008, 09:04 PM
You have to get the "check engine" light analyzed. Take it to Autozone, they'll check it for free. Changing a timing belt is not impossible with some basic auto mechanic skills and an instruction book. Belts are relitivly cheap.

Add your comment to this topic!