Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hard steering problem found

327chevy
06-20-2007, 06:55 PM
Well after putting up with the lack of power assist from the steering system of my 99 Silverado I finally had the oportunity to go at the problem.I allready had the pump off before so I did the pressure hose test to make sure there was pressure so it had to be in the steering box.Pulled the box off hoping it was just dirt in an orifice but didn't find anything so it was time to go inside.I took the 3 bolts out of the cover where the hoses attach and pulled it off to find a spool there with one of the 4 fibre o-rings blown in two.Problem found,oil was bypassing when turning the wheel right instead of building pressure.

Ok now I'm on the phone this morning trying to find a "kit" from GM to replace the 4 fibre o-rings but the only way I can get them is to buy the whole spool/gear/pitman arm assembly :banghead: .Not the answer I was hoping for.Well I guess I'll buy another steering box to put on and mabey if I can find some similar parts from a local outfit that deals with hydrolic seals I'll have a spare.

If anyone else has similar steering issues this would be a good starting point and if anyone has a line on the internal seals etc in these boxes I'd appreciate knowing about it.Thanks

DJ JEFF
06-22-2007, 01:24 PM
Had the exact same thing happen to me with my 01 Tahoe that I use to have. Only I lost my steering going around a corner one day and I almost took out about 5 other cars. I was not happy. Dealer fixed it for free though. I think they are hiding that one because they don't want to recall for that.

Add your comment to this topic!