Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 960 oil mystery

k_23
06-15-2007, 09:12 PM
my oil light flashed on and off. i checked the oil and found it bone dry:eek: answers to the obvious-no leaking ie no oil spots, no smell, no terrible smoke out of the exhaust or anywhere else. :screwy:
the oil was 2200mi into a 5k synthetic job. so i ask where is the oil if it isn't in the car, on the ground or smoking out? is this going to become a nightmare in that it's leaking somewhere hideously internal and expensive to repair?:banghead:

the internal leak possibilities are 1) a cracked block into the coolant system for the engine. 2)??? any suggestions? please?

manlystanley
06-25-2007, 11:32 AM
my oil light flashed on and off. i checked the oil and found it bone dry:eek: answers to the obvious-no leaking ie no oil spots, no smell, no terrible smoke out of the exhaust or anywhere else. :screwy:
the oil was 2200mi into a 5k synthetic job. so i ask where is the oil if it isn't in the car, on the ground or smoking out? is this going to become a nightmare in that it's leaking somewhere hideously internal and expensive to repair?:banghead:

the internal leak possibilities are 1) a cracked block into the coolant system for the engine. 2)??? any suggestions? please?

Some things to try:

1.) Pull your spark plugs, is there a oil residue on some of them? If yes, then your burning oil.

2.) Drain some of the collant. Is there oil mixed with it? If yes, it's leaking into the collant.

3.) Also, it would be interesting to pull the fire stopper and see if the pin holes are clogged.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Stan

rhandwor
07-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Look at the small bolts on top around the coils. If one is loose or the sealant is bad the oil will run around the coils.

Add your comment to this topic!