Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New Muffler on stock piping

Blue Talon
06-04-2007, 09:35 PM
Hi, I just recently bought a Non-Turbo 97 Talon, and I was wondering if it was possible to put a universal muffler on the stock piping with out welding, I was actually planning on using clamps? Now I know a placing a muffler on stock piping will get me almost no performance, but as much as I would love to put a new exhaust system on the car, I just can't afford it right now. All I want to do exhaust wise right now is replace my cracked stock muffler because it sounds and looks like shit. I'd rather not replace it with a stock muffler because it looks lame.

If it helps to know what muffler I'm looking at here it is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=220113662782&rd=1,1

So, does this require any welding or could I just clamp it on there? Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

kjewer1
06-04-2007, 09:44 PM
I've used aftermarket mufflers for NTs that bolt right up to the intermediate pipe. They aren't too expensive either IIRC, but I haven't looked at them in many years. Easier than cobbling something together IMO, worth a bit of a price increase, and cheaper than a full catback. Since the muffler is the biggest restriction in the system in most cases, it's a worthwhile intermediate step IMO.

Blue Talon
06-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Well the muffler I'm looking at is a universal one, and the inlet size souds right so I assume it'll fit just fine. The question is can I clamp or do I have to weld it? Also it appears that doesn't come with a hanger, what can I do about that?

kjewer1
06-04-2007, 10:16 PM
If it's the right size you can clamp or weld, your choice. Since it's universal, it is obviously up to you to fabricate and weld on the hangers as required. You may also have to either bend your stock intermediate piping or fab up a piece to go between the IP and the muffler in order to get the angle and tip positioning correct.

The fact that you were asking these general questions is what lead me to recomend an aftermarket "axle back" muffler instead. If you still want to take the cheap route and go universal, you can look into having a muffler shop install it, but then the cost advantaged is lessened somewhat.

Blue Talon
06-04-2007, 10:19 PM
If it's the right size you can clamp or weld, your choice. Since it's universal, it is obviously up to you to fabricate and weld on the hangers as required. You may also have to either bend your stock intermediate piping or fab up a piece to go between the IP and the muffler in order to get the angle and tip positioning correct.

The fact that you were asking these general questions is what lead me to recomend an aftermarket "axle back" muffler instead. If you still want to take the cheap route and go universal, you can look into having a muffler shop install it, but then the cost advantaged is lessened somewhat.
Could you give me a link to an axle back muffler? I'd appreciate it.

kjewer1
06-04-2007, 11:09 PM
WTF, for some reason I'm having a hard time finding a link with a picture. Looks like you can pick up the 5zigen ones for ~150-175. here (http://www.machv.com/noncatex.html) is full catback for 299, not bad.

Here is a Greddy version (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SP-Axle-Back-Exhaust-Mitsubishi-Eclipse-95-99_W0QQitemZ270126173575QQihZ017QQcategoryZ33630QQ rdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem) for 169, probably quieter than the other canister style mufflers, including your universal one. There are at least 3 other types, but some of them get nearly as expensive as that 299 catback at MachV. You can see from the pics that the pipe is bent up to fit your car, and has the matching flange.

You can still go the universal route if you like, but you're gonna need a muffler shop to weld up the hangers and such, unless you want to go supah ghetto and get the clamp/hangar combos and find some way to bolt them up.

The choice is yours, it's your car. I just don't want to see you end up with a universal muffler that sounds ridiculous, is held on with string and duct tape, and doesn't fit or look right. :) Good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!