Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2003 3Series Coupe Facelift?

glenn bayard
09-10-2001, 01:31 AM
What is probability that 2003 3 Series Coupe will have revised front/rear, given 2002 sedan received same? I love current sytle but amber turn signals are unattractive vs current clear on M3, plus(personal opionion) rear bumper to busy/unattractive. Thanks.

F20C
09-11-2001, 02:05 PM
The current model life runs till MY2004 I believe. So there is still 3 years left. Chances are coupe will receive minor treatment as well.

jinushaun
10-05-2001, 09:45 PM
God I hope not!!

Its appearence has been softened and it doesn't look as agressive anymore. It's interesting to note that it's only the saloon and touring versions were changed, and the "sportier-looking" coupes remained the same. Maybe they're trying to give it a family look?!? The wider grill (like 7-series, try to be classier?) and curvy headlamps suggest this. With the exception of the cosmetic changes, I like the other updates they made (ie: better streering/handling, cd). What happened to SMG? I thought the 2002 were gonna get this? Maybe I'm reading too many UK magazine...

I hope the redesigned 2004 3 series (E69? Can't remember) doesn't look like any of the other new BMW cars I've seen. New Z3? X Coupe? The E65 7 series with the yellow front turn signals on the TOP? The E65 with the strip of light in the back reminds me of a Cadilac...sick! Though I praise BMW's effort to make they cars more distinguishable from one another (ie: E36 3 and E39 5), I hope they don't butcher up the looks. At least keep the 3 series agressive and sporty looking--I don't want to be driving Ms Daisy or be mistaken for a family car any time soon.

surfskier
10-17-2001, 04:18 PM
I agree! I don't like the new front-end for the 2002 sedan. It just looks too wimpy, too simple, and less classy. If they want to give a similar look to the coupe, they need to add a more aggressive front spoiler.
Also, the new 7 series body doesn't look too exciting. In that class, I would have to save that the S-Class looks the best followed by the A8 and then the new 7. The new 7 doesn't look as sporty as the one it replaces and what is up with the weird looking rear deck-lid!

glenn bayard
10-17-2001, 07:01 PM
Thanks for your reply re 3 series sedan update, it was much appreciated. Glenn

Ultimateone
10-17-2001, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by surfskier
I agree! I don't like the new front-end for the 2002 sedan. It just looks too wimpy, too simple, and less classy. If they want to give a similar look to the coupe, they need to add a more aggressive front spoiler.
Also, the new 7 series body doesn't look too exciting. In that class, I would have to save that the S-Class looks the best followed by the A8 and then the new 7. The new 7 doesn't look as sporty as the one it replaces and what is up with the weird looking rear deck-lid!
I dont think the pics are giving it justice, My friend has saw one and he says it is so much more incredible in person... so I dont know?

jdavis
10-18-2001, 06:13 PM
Hello All,

I have to agree with a more aggressive front spoiler and trim. Hopefully the next couple of years will result in boosting the current hp to 250+. As a MY2000 328i I'm constantly having to chase S4's. Does anyone know how to eke out 30 more ponies out of the 197hp powerplant? I'm considering a new exhaust, air filter and chip but that might give me 15hp or so. I just am having the damnedest time having to run with the new 330. For all you body style enthusiasts. Check out Hamann's site. Some really incredible front fascia's and skirts. Also, they have a shot of the Hartge 3 which has the M5 engine crammed in it.

F20C
10-18-2001, 06:34 PM
The face-lift version doesn't look that bad in my mind. You can see face-lift sedan on the roads already.

Ultimateone
10-18-2001, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by jdavis
Hello All,

I'm considering a new exhaust, air filter and chip but that might give me 15hp or so.
Definitely do all those mods, you should be able to at least get over 15hp.

gang$tarr
10-21-2001, 12:17 AM
i hate how the facelifts look... i'll keep my '00 thanks

XZLR8
10-28-2001, 05:39 PM
I've seen a few of the new '02 3-series sedans on the lots and I'm not that impressed with the new front end. Maybe it will grow on me.... but then again, should a $40K car HAVE to grow on ya?

I have a '01 325Ci convertible. The very first thing I did was swap out the amber turnlights for clear lens ones. Much improved. I think the new '02 coupes & convertibles are coming with the clear lens' now as part of the sport package.

ST325i
10-29-2001, 10:11 AM
Do you think the owners of the older body style (E36) were thinking the same when they saw the E46? I honestly didn't like the E46 when i first saw it, but now i'm a proud owner of an 01 325. Given time, we will come to appreciate what the BMW designers have come up with.

gang$tarr
10-29-2001, 09:35 PM
Yeah i actually kinda like it now (contrary to my post above :D )

i hated how the circle lights looked, that weren't connected... maybe those are only on the 318 compact, or whatever it's called

ultimatedriver7
10-30-2001, 05:31 PM
Hey ya'll:

Does anyone know of pics showing the new facelifted sedans with sport package bodywork from the factory? This typically includes the front bumper, wheels, tires, sideskirts, and rear bumper. The sport package on my car as well as that on the '01 sedans is dropdead gorgeous. Hopefully it will spice up a rather bland looking new facia on the new 3 sedan. As for the rear end of these new sedans, I think it looks great.

Here is one pic: http://www.bmwstore.com/new_vehicles/current_vehicles/11065.jpg

As a sidenote, the SMG will never be offered in the standard 3 series for marketing reasons (If you want it you have to cough up the dough for an M3)

Thanks

jinushaun
11-02-2001, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by ultimatedriver7
As a sidenote, the SMG will never be offered in the standard 3 series for marketing reasons (If you want it you have to cough up the dough for an M3)
...In the States.

I've talked with BMW and they reiterated that only the M3 will get SMG in the US. As far as I know, SMG will be offered on the standard 3s in the UK. (The best car magazines are from the UK).

ultimatedriver7
11-02-2001, 09:04 PM
for the confusion guys. I didn't really take into consideration that this forum serves all countries. Yes I believe it is an available option in other countries but never will be offered on the 3 series in the US. However, I have heard it will become an option on the next generation (E60) 540i six speed. Also, you should predict it on the list of options with the new X5 4.6s and on the next generation Z3 line. Due to the sporting nature of the 6 series in years past, its also a possibility for that line.

Damn, life's a trade off...

UltimateDriver7
'01 330Ci
soon to be '02 M3 :cool:

F20C
11-03-2001, 12:53 AM
Hey ya'll:

Thanks

Of course BMW is not offering SMG2 (Sequential M Gearbox II) to 3 Series. It's offering what's call a SSG (Sequential Sports Gearbox) to regular 3 Series.

Bel7ail
11-03-2001, 08:01 PM
Do you have a picture of how the SSG is??

F20C
11-04-2001, 05:10 PM
SSG is like SMG2 where it's pedal shifter located right behind the steering wheel. The only difference is it's performance is not as extreme as SMG2.

F20C
11-04-2001, 05:28 PM
http://209.132.49.149/images-large/2001_bmw_m3_csl-3.jpg See the red mark behind the steering wheel? That's the pedal shifter.

jinushaun
11-04-2001, 10:37 PM
This is from the UK 2002 3 series. (Copyright (c) 2001 BMW Car Magazine).

gang$tarr
11-04-2001, 10:40 PM
where's the leather?!? :confused:

that bmw is all cloth :apuke:
lol, what is that? looks modded

F20C
11-05-2001, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by gang$tarr
where's the leather?!? :confused:

that bmw is all cloth :apuke:
lol, what is that? looks modded

That's CSL.

jinushaun
11-08-2001, 11:32 AM
I saw the new 2002 3 series in real life recently, and I must admit, it isn't that bad (see previous post). But if I had to choose, I'd still take the old style because it looks sportier and more agressive.

In the November issue of CAR, it seems I'm not the only one who thinks BMW is heading in the wrong direction, design-wise. Damn that head designer, Chris Bangle! BMW's future designs are just horrible if the new 7 series, Z9 and X coupe are any indication.

ultimatedriver7
11-08-2001, 11:54 AM
The new 3 doesn't look bad when you have the sport package...In fact I think i like it more than the design of my 2001 330 coupe. The front is very clean looking and has a very defined sportiness without being gaudy. As far as making it sporty without being M3-sporty, I think BMW was on the right track. BUT on the 3 series without the sport backage I think the front end is weak to say the least.

jinushaun
11-08-2001, 03:00 PM
The new 3 doesn't look bad when you have the sport package...In fact I think i like it more than the design of my 2001 330 coupe. The front is very clean looking and has a very defined sportiness without being gaudy. As far as making it sporty without being M3-sporty, I think BMW was on the right track. BUT on the 3 series without the sport backage I think the front end is weak to say the least.
I must not be familiar with the sports package... how does the sports package make the front better?!?

ultimatedriver7
11-09-2001, 05:11 PM
Jinushaun:

The sport package on 2002 3 series consists of the following:

1) M-wheels and tires (same as last year, 17 inchers)
2) firmer suspension settings
3) different side moldings ( look closely, the ones on the sport package equipped cars have a taper that goes toward the rear of the car whereas non sport package cars have moldings that taper in the center only)
4) different front bumper that reminds me of the way the M5 looks in the front (there are two seperate black trim pieces as opposed to one, there is a more aggressive appearance up front, different aux lights, etc.) looks good!
5) different rear bumper (ditto above)
6) M steering wheel (same as last year)
7) sports seats

heres a link where you can see a lot of the changes:
http://www.bmwstore.com/new_vehicles/current_vehicles/11065.jpg

ultimatedriver7
'01 330Ci step prem sport xenon rearshade cdchanger nav system cold clim pkg (all options besides rear backup)
soon to be '02 M3 loaded w/ SMG II everything except metallic paint and rear backup

oscar
11-09-2001, 09:17 PM
Ultimate driver: man, you are absolutely right about the front bumper on the sport package as opposed to the non-sport. It looks 100% better. But how do you know that the photo you linked is in fact the appearance of the 02 3 series sedan sport, for US market? I hope that it is because that is the vehicle that I have on order! Thanks.

jinushaun
11-09-2001, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by oscar
Ultimate driver: man, you are absolutely right about the front bumper on the sport package as opposed to the non-sport. It looks 100% better.
I must concur, the front does look better. Do you have a link with an image of the modified boot?

But how do you know that the photo you linked is in fact the appearance of the 02 3 series sedan sport, for US market? I hope that it is because that is the vehicle that I have on order! Thanks.
If you go to the root directory, you'll see it's the site for a Cincinnati, Ohio BMW dealer. The page that has that image is: http://www.bmwstore.com/new_vehicles/new_cars_detail.phtml?uid=1127

It's a silver automatic 2002 330i with sport package, premium package, heated seats, and bi-xenon light. It's an actual car on their lot.

F20C
11-09-2001, 09:48 PM
Ultimate driver: man, you are absolutely right about the front bumper on the sport package as opposed to the non-sport. It looks 100% better. But how do you know that the photo you linked is in fact the appearance of the 02 3 series sedan sport, for US market? I hope that it is because that is the vehicle that I have on order! Thanks.

You can tell because of couple things. The headlight lines is now oval shaped instead of circle shaped. The foglamp is intergrated into the bumper.

ultimatedriver7
11-10-2001, 09:09 AM
I am glad that you guys agree with me about the sport package vastly improving the aesthetics of the 2002 3 series sedans. As always the sport package is a great deal on the 3 series so I encourage all of you to get it if you are ordering a new 3. Also, for those who don't know, the seats included with the sport package are numerous times more comfortable than the stock seats. In my mind they alone are worth the extra cash.

Ill look for a pic of the rear end. It looks somewhat similar to the E46 M3 rear bumper.

What do you guys like about the sport package front end most? I think i like the similarities to the M5 with the dual black plastic trim pieces etc. but thats just me

Ultimatedriver7
'01 330Ci all options except rear backup
soon to be '02 M3 all options except rear backup and metallic paint

ultimatedriver7
11-10-2001, 09:22 AM
here are some great pics of the new SMG gearbox offered on the 2002 M3:

wheel and stick: http://www.bmwworld.com/pics/engine/1665_832.jpg

stick: http://www.bmwworld.com/pics/engine/1666_832.jpg

paddles: http://www.bmwworld.com/pics/engine/5025_832.jpg

if you guys look at the picture titled "stick" can anyone tell me what the following console buttons do? the first one looks like this (!) and the second looks like this SPORT

I've sat in a new M3 but i guess i didnt ever notice these two buttons.

Ultimatedriver7

aldori
12-22-2001, 01:25 PM
Most likely the coupe will follow through with a facelift in next year. If you remember the North American E46 sedan was the 1st model to change over in 99 followed by the coupe the next year. That seems to be the pattern. I would expect the next full design in '05 as my dealer has indidcated BMW is on a 7yr design cycle. Although I have a '99 sedan, just ordered an '02. Some of you may want to check out the BMW individual program at http://www.bmw.com/bmwe/products/individual/. Your dealer may not be aware of it but this program offers you an opportunity to order something a little different! Not everything is available to the North American market but the paints are indeed an option for those seeking to have something individual.

nebular18
12-22-2001, 07:47 PM
Hi ultimatedriver. I guess the first button is to activate/deactivate the driver's side heated seat, second button is for the dynamic stability control, third is to mute the sound system, i guess fourth is for the suspension, fifth seems like activating the rear blind? (similar to the merc's), sixth is to activate the sports function ( think will have better handling etc ) last one is the front passenger side's heated seat.

Hope i'm right....:alien:

duffygc
01-28-2002, 03:25 PM
Hi,

... FWIW, found this text describing the SSG:

However, biggest surprise is the introduction of SSG (Sequential Shift Gearbox) to 325 and 330i. BMW claimed it is a simplified version of the M3’s sequential manual box, but it is actually built around the regular 5-speed manual rather than the M3's 6-speeder and most importantly, the shift mechanism is supplied by Italy's Magneti-Marelli instead of Siemens. You might remember Magneti-Marelli is the maker of Alfa Romeo's Selespeed and Ferrari's F1 system, so SSG should be much cheaper than the SMG. Unfortunately, shift response is far slower than SMG. There are 3 modes: in "Normal" mode, shift takes 400-500ms; in "Sport" mode, it is reduced to 250-300ms but shift quality is less smooth; in "Launch" mode, 150ms can be achieved from first to second gear.

Has anyone found a road test of SSG?

Greg
(UK)

richpull
01-29-2002, 11:06 PM
What the 3 series needs is a 250 horsepower engine, smg transmission, heavy steering, and a real rear spoiler included with the sport package. The little curled up portion of the trunk isnt a spoiler in my book. I took a test drive in the bmw m3 with smg because while we were sitting in it, the guy at the dealer was like i was planning on taking this out for a spin you guys wanna come? Ohh man that transmission is sweet :p He wasnt able to access the S6 mode because it isnt available until 1200 mile break-in is complete, but the s5 mode was incredible. Not to mention 333 horses. He fooled with the automatic mode for a while and then as he was coming back the the driver put it in manual mode and floored it out onto the highway, he shifted to 2nd, bam, the gear switch was so incredibly fast, you bearly feel it, no rocking forward, just mmmmMMMMM! mmmmmMMMMM. (thats an engine sound) The smg automatically revvs the engine while downshifting to about 7000 rpm to increase the engine compression braking effect to take some strain off the non-cross drilled american M3 rotors. This throttling on downshifts makes you feel like you screwed up, but in reality its helping out. If you are braking on downshifting itll slow you down faster, if your passing someone, yeah. I think this SMG technology is simply incredible. I would pay the $2400 for it on the 3-series if it was available in America. I wish i could afford the m3 :bloated:

Vertigo
02-21-2002, 10:04 PM
If I could get another 25 ponies in a 3 series I would place my order right now. Does anyone know of a hp upgrade in 2003? Or for that matter any changes for 2003?

gang$tarr
02-21-2002, 10:45 PM
if you want the 3 with some more hp buy the M3

Vertigo
02-22-2002, 11:06 AM
Even better, I found a local dealer that is authorized by Dinan to sell and install parts so I think that might be a good option. I love love love the M3 but the long wait times and the over sticker prices are really unattractive:mad: . I would be happy with around 250 horses. Secretly I just want to be able to keep up with those damn S4s:biggrin2:

Add your comment to this topic!