Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

cool places along 95

gouldie1903
04-25-2007, 09:41 AM
in about 2 weeks me and a few friend are going to take a road trip from daytona beach to Massachusetts with my 01 mustang and 67 c 10. we're looking for some cool places not to far off 95 that we could visit and also any local car shows.

we're gonna be taking about a week for the trip.

thanks,

chris

fredjacksonsan
04-25-2007, 09:52 AM
Sounds like a cool trip! There are lots of things to see and do...you'll likely hear about "South of the Border", a big tourist trap at the SC/NC border. :lol2:

I'm in VA, so will stick to this state. You'll be passing through Richmond, which has a lot of historical things to see, a pretty good Science Museum, and is surrounded by Civil War battlefields. To the north is Fredericksburg, which has more Civil War stuff. (FYI north of Fredericksburg, traffic sucks, don't even try to go through DC between 3pm and 7pm or you'll regret it).

Washington, DC has the Smithsonian Museum, which is almost all free. If you've never been this might be the time to spend a day or two. DC itself has many touristy places and things to see as well. But bring your own food, because it's hella expensive to eat.

I don't know how far off of 95 you're willing to go, but Luray Virginia is about 80-90 miles west of 95, and Luray Caverns has one of the best cave system tours in the east. You're coming from Florida, so Virginia Beach probably won't be so great, but is only about 70-80 miles to the east of Richmond.

If you're not into museums and cities, you might want to consider coming up route 77 through NC, and skirting DC to the west, along I 81. It's a prettier drive and you'll probably have less traffic.

I'll post up more if and as I think of it, but enjoy the trip!

WickedNYCowboy
04-25-2007, 01:11 PM
The crossbronx is awful at all hours of the day. I'd go around 12-3 am and that's only time I'd try to go threw. That's all I have to offer.

Cl0ak
04-25-2007, 02:22 PM
The crossbronx is awful at all hours of the day. I'd go around 12-3 am and that's only time I'd try to go threw. That's all I have to offer.

I take 684/287 to NJ from CT and on the way back I go 95 back to CT and going over the cross bronx is a friggin nightmare. Took me an hour and a half yesterday just to make it through those tunnels. Turned my 2 hour trip into NJ, into a 4 hour trip back. I usually make that run around 3-4am so I didn't expect it to be that bad when I was in the area around 9am.

To answer the original question...95 sucks theres nothing cool. I don't know where you are going in MA but in Springfield right off 91 there is the basketball hall of fame, you'll see it right off the highway theres a huge basketball shaped dome and its all lit up at night looks pretty cool.

(95) to exit 47 - puts you onto (91) than take exit 6. Thats like 40 miles or so out of the way but worth the trip if you're into that sort of thing.

gouldie1903
04-25-2007, 03:40 PM
thanks for the input

i've done this trip by myself 3 times already but only got off the highway to get gas and food (i live in mass and go to school in daytona).

fredjacksonsan-the caves sound pretty cool i think we can handle the extra time

thanks again and keep the ideas coming,

chris

Damien
04-25-2007, 04:59 PM
Va Bch is too far outta the way and is no diff from Daytona or Cocoa. I used to live there I know. Definitely the caverns though! And DC. Best places to stop and amazing things to see under and above ground.

WickedNYCowboy
04-26-2007, 11:51 AM
I take 684/287 to NJ from CT and on the way back I go 95 back to CT and going over the cross bronx is a friggin nightmare. Took me an hour and a half yesterday just to make it through those tunnels. Turned my 2 hour trip into NJ, into a 4 hour trip back. I usually make that run around 3-4am so I didn't expect it to be that bad when I was in the area around 9am.

To answer the original question...95 sucks theres nothing cool. I don't know where you are going in MA but in Springfield right off 91 there is the basketball hall of fame, you'll see it right off the highway theres a huge basketball shaped dome and its all lit up at night looks pretty cool.

(95) to exit 47 - puts you onto (91) than take exit 6. Thats like 40 miles or so out of the way but worth the trip if you're into that sort of thing.
Yes that's true. I forgot about 684/287. But I believe they are doing construction. You can't win either way.

Cl0ak
04-26-2007, 02:30 PM
Yes that's true. I forgot about 684/287. But I believe they are doing construction. You can't win either way.

Yeah they are doing construction on 287, a lot of it is all potholes and choppy pavement, nightmare when you have an unstable load of glass.

Add your comment to this topic!