Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

paint

LOUDCRXSi
04-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Im getting ready to paint my car. The weather is breaking and now is the time to fix my car. I already have my paint picked out. I need to do a few body repairs which im going to do myself. Im probably going to primer the car myself because i have a few rust spots on diff parts of my car from the salt over the winter.

Im looking to have my car painted right. I know a guy that paints car and im going to have him paint my car. He told me he'd paint my car for $200 or less but i need to buy the paint. (i was going to no matter where i went due to how specific i am with the paint) What i want to know if what are the best things ill need. Since im going to primer my car with primer out of a spray can would it really affect the color that much to buy primer and have him do that as well?

I also need to know how much paint to buy. I have a 90 CRX. I was told before that i wouldnt need more than 16 oz. Im looking to have 2 or 3 coats unless someone knows a better amout of coats to do and i wana make sure i have enough paint. Also are there any clear coats that are better than others. i originally had everything picked out from house of kolors but im getting the base paint from a different company. I've never painted a car before but i have a basic understanding about the processes. i just want to make sure everything i have is good if not just average matterials.

if you read through all of this and have input thanks.

Greenblurr93
04-05-2007, 08:42 PM
wow.. ok... first... the prep is the hardest part of painting a car. so if you know enough to prep a car, you should know enough to paint it. second dont use rattlecan... it has a very good chance of reacting with the paint... and if it doesnt, it probably wont last. third.... you can hire the BEST painter in the world to just do the color, and if there is the slightest flaw in the prep, it will magnify it a lot.

alphalanos
04-07-2007, 07:51 AM
Id have the guy do both prep and paint. Its worth the extra money.

Add your comment to this topic!