Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

I Dropped My Bike!!!!

es_class
04-04-2007, 03:09 PM
I Am So Embarrased. I Was Coming To A Stop But... I Had On A Pair If Timberland Boots With A Short Heel And My Foot Got Stuck On The Peg. I Had Been Riding All Day And Was On My Way Home...but Had Been Riding Lazy With My Foot All The Way Forward Hanging Downward On The Peg. I Was A Bit Hard/rough On The Front Brake And The Bike Started To Lean To The Right But My Heel Got Stuck And I Started To Panic So Instead Of Lifting My Foot Up And Off...i Tried To Slide My Foot Off And Was Forced To Lay It Down. I Cracked My Right Side View Mirror And My Wind Shield. Plus Some Minor Scratches On The Side Of The Plastics. Im So Hurt. (emotionally...lol.) Plus As I Laid The Bike Down...the Peg On The Left Side Ripped Up My Leg From The Ankle To Mid Thigh. Some Blood, Swelling And A Hell Of A Black And Blue Bruise Up My Whole Leg. Wtf? I Wasnt Even Moving!!! This Is The Kinda Sh#t I Hear About But Could Never Understand How It Could Happen. Im So Pissed. My Baby Was So Smooth And Perfect. I Know It Could Have Been Worse But Damn!!!

speediva
04-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Bummer, man. Seriously. :(

I remember when I dropped my dad's bike in a parking lot... thank heavens I dropped the bike at 0 speed....

and on the same side my dad had dropped it on the day before! :lol2:

rubix777
04-04-2007, 11:30 PM
that's gotta hurt. did you drop the ex or the zx?

richtazz
04-05-2007, 05:58 AM
First, I'm glad to hear you're ok. It sucks that you nicked up your ride, but let this be a lesson to you. You're a little bruised, but you still have your limbs and life. Just a moment of inattention on a bike can be dangerous, even at very slow speeds. Be glad this didn't happen at speed, like a car pulling in front of you and you not being able to get to your pegs for evasive maneuvers. I've seen a lot of inattention while riding, as well as bad highway peg placement on crusiers where there is no way you could quickly get your feet to the shifter, rear brake, etc... in a sudden emergency. Take care of yourself and fix-er up, and get back riding. I'm very glad to hear it's mostly your ego and feelings that were hurt.

aussieidiot
04-05-2007, 02:27 PM
welcome to the club!

i doubt theres a rider out there who hasn't got complacent and had a minor moment.

newbies that note. the old saying "its not if you drop your bike, but when"

glad your not seriously hurt dude and remember chicks dig scars and battlescars prove your trying

jeffcoslacker
04-05-2007, 04:40 PM
I've been very fortunate (and damn careful), never wrecked on a bike, and only flopped like that once...pulling outta my driveway with my 1500 Vulcan and right as I leaned over and gassed it to turn into the street at very low speed, it sneezed and died, and flopped over instantly.

I was lucky enough to get my lowside leg outta the way and ended up straddling it as it went down...was able to help it fall a bit, nothing got hurt...except my back, when I picked the 800 pounder back up to it's wheels...hadn't learned the proper way to pick up a bike back then...

es_class
04-12-2007, 09:23 AM
rubix777 its a zx-11. almost 650 pounds wet. and to the rest of the forum....thanks guys i feel better knowing im not the only one stuff like that has happened to. and yeah the scars are cool...lol!! but only if i lie and come up with a better story behind them!! lol!!! thanks for the love.

es_class
04-12-2007, 09:25 AM
jeffcoslacker....can u enlighten me as to what the proper way to pick up a bike is? thanks. anybody feel free to add on.

richtazz
04-12-2007, 05:12 PM
A guy your size just grabs the little thing anywhere convenient and flings it like baby poop ES, :lol: Us little guys have to use things like leverage and center of gravity, things you would never have to worry about.

speediva
04-12-2007, 05:59 PM
A guy your size just grabs the little thing anywhere convenient and flings it like baby poop ES, :lol: Us little guys have to use things like leverage and center of gravity, things you would never have to worry about.
I think the others in the hotel think I'm nuts because I just laughed my ASS off at this!

The technique I've heard of working best is to (well, obviously, shut the bike off if it's still running) approach the bike backwards with your back to the bike. Cut the handlebar so it's at the stop on the "down" side. Grab the handlebar with one hand, and another sturdy part (tail hand grip). Bend at the knees, and slowly walk backward and bring the bike with you.

Torch
04-12-2007, 11:42 PM
I nearly had a bad accident on mine ('84 Honda Shadow VT700C)...

I was cruising down the street at 40mph, it was my first or second time of putting my feet on the foot rests that are bolted to the engine guard instead of keeping them down with the shifter and rear brake pedals.

Something spooked me and I wanted to bring my feet back down but found that my right foot wouldn't move, the end of my pants had gotten caught on the rear brake pedal and wouldn't come off. I hit the kill switch and coasted to a stop then freed myself, it took three months before I would put my feet up there again, now I do it all the time.

Masonovsky!
04-25-2007, 06:58 PM
jeffcoslacker....can u enlighten me as to what the proper way to pick up a bike is? thanks. anybody feel free to add on.

the first time I dropped my bike I had no problem picking it up because I was so pissed...i guess use you legs and don't hurt yourself....sorry if I barged in..

jeffcoslacker
04-26-2007, 09:31 AM
I think the others in the hotel think I'm nuts because I just laughed my ASS off at this!

The technique I've heard of working best is to (well, obviously, shut the bike off if it's still running) approach the bike backwards with your back to the bike. Cut the handlebar so it's at the stop on the "down" side. Grab the handlebar with one hand, and another sturdy part (tail hand grip). Bend at the knees, and slowly walk backward and bring the bike with you.

You got it..

http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/pickup.html

That's how the MSF teaches you to pick one up...a small person can lift a large bike safely using that method...you are letting physics and leg muscles do the work, not your back and brute force...

http://www.pinkribbonrides.com/Videos/104-0473_MVI.mpg

Here's a video!

Steel
04-26-2007, 08:28 PM
ha! my bike dropped ITSELF! Last year, i brought out the DR, got ii started and was letting it run a but as i popped my helmet and gloves on. I had my back turned to the bike. As i'm just finishing putting on the helmet i hear "CRASH!", and the bike is lying on its left side with a broken clutch lever.

Of all the goddamn.

jeffcoslacker
04-26-2007, 11:05 PM
ha! my bike dropped ITSELF! Last year, i brought out the DR, got ii started and was letting it run a but as i popped my helmet and gloves on. I had my back turned to the bike. As i'm just finishing putting on the helmet i hear "CRASH!", and the bike is lying on its left side with a broken clutch lever.

Of all the goddamn.

My friend had that happen with his Sportster, only it fell over and took out the bike sitting next to it too :lol: ...Sporty side stands are notorious for letting them flop...

I won't let a bike run without me on it unless it's faced uphill slightly...level or downhill even a bit and they can "walk off" while running..

MOSSMAN50
04-27-2007, 02:46 AM
I had a brain fart when i dropped mine. Stupid me put the kick stand down while it was in the grass as i went to open up the building doors to park it for the day. While i was opening the doors, the sound of my bike suddenly sounded different. I turned around and the soft ground gave way.:screwy: I felt like such a jackass. Had to dig dirt and grass out of every little hole, nook and cranny and felt like a moron the whole time. This is the first time I ever mentioned it. Probably the last time too. Just glad it was my Honda and not my harley! :grinyes:

Add your comment to this topic!