Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Food Dehydrator For Drying Paint

Pages : [1] 2

freakray
10-08-2002, 07:37 AM
Hey all,
I have heard of using a food dehydrator to dry paint quicker before, but I was looking for as much info as I can gain on the matter.
So far, all I really know is that it's recommended to get a unit with an exhaust fan, but other than that, not much.
Is there a specific temperature this thing should work at, can it get too hot, how variable is the temperature.
Any advice you can give me would be great.
Thanks in advance.
Ray

Veyron
10-08-2002, 08:25 AM
Definitely get one! Mine has a fan but it isn't an exhaust fan, it just moves the air and that makes it work quicker than the kind without. The moving air will pull the gases away from the paint allowing it to cure faster. The lid has a vent that is best to leave open, they make plenty of heat without closing them up. It's especially effective on enamels, making them much harder, which is great for polishing. My dehydrator almost runs 24/7, they have an amazing life span. I use mine for heating spray cans, drying parts after washing/painting and curing parts that have been decaled. :)

935k3
10-08-2002, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Veyron
Definitely get one! Mine has a fan but it isn't an exhaust fan, it just moves the air and that makes it work quicker than the kind without. The moving air will pull the gases away from the paint allowing it to cure faster. The lid has a vent that is best to leave open, they make plenty of heat without closing them up. It's especially effective on enamels, making them much harder, which is great for polishing. My dehydrator almost runs 24/7, they have an amazing life span. I use mine for heating spray cans, drying parts after washing/painting and curing parts that have been decaled. :)

Have you ever had any warping problems from using one? Bill Geary(I know you are familiar with his creations)used to use one but he said he had some warping problems and doesn't use it any more.

Veyron
10-08-2002, 08:55 AM
any warping problems

Never! Again, I don't close it up all the way, it isn't necessary to. I've never had any melting, warping or cracking problems. Dehydrators are one of the best investments a modeler can make, it saves so much time in the building process.;)

flyonthewall
10-08-2002, 09:55 AM
What do they look like?

freakray
10-08-2002, 10:01 AM
Chris,
I guess they are something like this, although I should think we would want something less fancy:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?cat=77938&dept=2637&product_id=1120727&path=0%3A2637%3A77938
I am still not convinced about it though......kind people here have to convince me yet.:)

Ray

ZoomZoomMX-5
10-08-2002, 10:24 AM
I've been using a very simple dehydrator for years. It's been plugged in constantly...for years.

Mine is a simple arrangement w/a small heating coil in the base, and simple plastic racks, and sliding vents top/bottom. I bought it at Big Lots years ago for about 12 bucks. It was photographed in Scale Auto Enthusiast after I tried it and it worked so well, and told Pat Covert about the discovery. It's a cheaper version of the same style used by Ronco. No motors, no fans.

It works magic, it basically makes the paint/primer/putty process go much quicker. Same with decals. My dehydrator only gets up to about 110 degrees, so nothing has ever warped or blistered inside of it. Other more powerful units can be modified. You can probably have good results w/any dehydrator as long as you can measure the inside temperature. Anything much over 110 degrees can start problems. You might need to make spacers for the racks and open up some extra vent holes if it's too hot.

I've heard someone say that the drying time is reduced about 50% for each 10 degrees over ambient temperature that a paint drying system accomplishes. That means compared to room temperature (70 degrees F), my 110 degree dehydrator speeds up the drying time to 1/16th that of ambient temperature. One day in the dehydrator being like 16 days of room temperature. And the results I've had seem to make me think that's just about right. I've been able to paint, mask, paint a second color, unmask, dry, polish, and completely build and detail paint a curbside model in the period of one day-a stretch of about 12-14 hours of not-continuous work, but a bit here and there. I could not have done that w/o the dehydrator.

freakray
10-08-2002, 10:40 AM
Zoom-Zoom,
I don't suppose you could post a photo of your could you, please?
I am trying to get an idea of what I need to look for.
Thanks

Ray

ZoomZoomMX-5
10-08-2002, 12:41 PM
I don't suppose you could post a photo of your could you, please?

I'll try, right now my photo server is down for maintenance. Someone else was asking me for the same information, probably have a pic on Wednesday.

Prelude2War
10-08-2002, 01:12 PM
it would make my model smell like beef jerky...

Prelude2War
10-08-2002, 07:37 PM
how long would you keep a model in the dehudrator after painting?

freakray
10-08-2002, 08:02 PM
Prelude2War,
I hate to point this out, but that is all explained above in the posts that were in response to my question:)
Long enough to make it smell like beef jerky?

Murco
10-09-2002, 12:39 AM
What everyone has written is right on the money! This is a cheap tool that will really speed up work projects and it works wonders on drying enamels. I got one at Big Lots about 4 years ago, use it for everything I paint. I also cut the bottom from one of the trays and double-stacked 2 together so I could fit bodies in it, has worked great!
http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/738078dryer1.jpghttp://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/699306dryer2.jpg
This is what it looks like
Good luck!

Prelude2War
10-09-2002, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by freakray
Prelude2War,
I hate to point this out, but that is all explained above in the posts that were in response to my question:)
Long enough to make it smell like beef jerky?

o HA.. helps if I read it all huh ;)

thats the same dehydrator i have but the bottem is that brown clear plastic...

Jay!
02-01-2003, 10:02 PM
So my buddy and I went halvesies and picked one up today, since we only really have the weekends to work on our stuff, so we'd prefer to maximize our modeling time. ;)

We got a "NESCO" brand one from WalMart for $40. :o (I got tired of bugging the clerks about them at BigLots! :o) It's got the fan and heater in the top and an air outlet on the bottom. It looks like I'll be doing the same as Russ mentioned: gutting one tray layer and making a compound layer deep enough for the car bodies. You guys ever have any trouble with anything being too tall for two trays' depth?

And what do you do with the free jerky seasoning that came with it? :silly:

daggerlee
02-01-2003, 10:22 PM
Yeah, I went to my Walmart and in the Food Dehydrator they don't have ANYTHING. It's on the top of my to-get tools list (along with Dremel and airbrush stand) but I can't find anywhere else that has it. And what's Big Lots? :uhoh:

clatescivicr
02-01-2003, 10:32 PM
From the looks of it, it seems like you couldn't fit a car body in there :( I really should get one of these to speed up the time! Ray if you find one post it up, and if I find one I'll post it up!

Chris,
I guess they are something like this, although I should think we would want something less fancy:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?cat=77938&dept=2637&product_id=1120727&path=0%3A2637%3A77938
I am still not convinced about it though......kind people here have to convince me yet.:)

Ray

clatescivicr
02-01-2003, 10:56 PM
Ray I did some searching and found these....

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000059L4A/104-9231774-5141556?vi=glance

http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Dehydrators-Nesco-Gardenmaster

http://www.epinions.com/Back_To_Basics_Food_Dehydrator_Small_Appliances

http://www.discountjuicers.com/dehydratorcompare.html

Hope this helps!

Diesel2NR
02-01-2003, 11:02 PM
HEY! Murco has the same dehydrator I do, and from the same place:cool: I think the temperature in my dehydrator gets up to about 120 degrees F if I recall correctly. That's with the vents all the way open. They do work wonders, and so far, I've had no problems with any warping.

clatescivicr
02-01-2003, 11:05 PM
Whats the name of it?

Originally posted by 94 Mustang GT
HEY! Murco has the same dehydrator I do, and from the same place:cool: I think the temperature in my dehydrator gets up to about 120 degrees F if I recall correctly. That's with the vents all the way open. They do work wonders, and so far, I've had no problems with any warping.

Diesel2NR
02-01-2003, 11:59 PM
I can't remeber anymore. I know I picked it up from Big Lots about a year (or maybe more) ago for about $10. It gets the job done. Maybe Murco will remember.

clatescivicr
02-02-2003, 12:17 AM
Anyeone remember who it was amde by, because there is a $10 one in those links..

Originally posted by 94 Mustang GT
I can't remeber anymore. I know I picked it up from Big Lots about a year (or maybe more) ago for about $10. It gets the job done. Maybe Murco will remember.

Jay!
02-02-2003, 04:13 AM
I ended up cutting out two of the 4 shelves. :o

BigLots = Pic-N-Save = MacFrugals = cheapo overstock out-of-season-merch store.

integra818
02-02-2003, 05:01 AM
My brother works at big lots, so I'll probably get an expensive one for cheap :smoker2:

I definatly need one.

freakray
02-02-2003, 10:21 AM
Clate,

I got one a while back now, it is like the ones John and Murco have, but I found it at K-Mart....
I chopped out the top 2 trays to make space to set a body in it.
I haven't actually used it yet because I honestly haven't sprayed a body in a while, but I may get around to spraying today.

Jay, sprinkle the seasoning on the car body when you put it in the dehydrator and it should get a better flavor;)

Ray

clatescivicr
02-02-2003, 11:12 AM
I guess I gotta go ask mommy where to get one cheap. :D

BWheel
02-02-2003, 01:54 PM
Hey guys,

Useful site, Dealtime (http://www.dealtime.com) I've found all sorts of good deals on there. People rate the sites they use too, so useful.

Go to the following:
http://www1.dealtime.com/xKW-dehydrator/NS-1/GS.html for all different Dehydrators (just searched on the word). Unfortunately, I'm in the UK, so looks like i'll be shipping one long-distance, or maybe pick one up next time I'm in Chicago...

Wonder if they have features like 'Will take a standard Tamiya car body in each tray'???

SpoonMan Dos
02-02-2003, 02:13 PM
I bought my dehydrater about two yrs. ago. The first time I used it was on a Tamiya R34 Skyline. I warped it because I fully covered it. Now the lid is never fully closed. And I also cut out the trays so I could fit the car inside. And that's on the paint stand. Mine is made by Deni.

Jay!
02-02-2003, 03:16 PM
Jay, sprinkle the seasoning on the car body when you put it in the dehydrator and it should get a better flavor;)Roger that! ;)[
Originally posted by SpoonMan Dos
And I also cut out the trays so I could fit the car inside. And that's on the paint stand.I was just going to ask about that... I use wire hangers for painting jigs, so how do I get it off the jig when still tacky?

daggerlee
02-02-2003, 03:32 PM
Switch to Snapple bottles! :)

Jay!
02-02-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by daggerlee
Switch to Snapple bottles! :) Snapple bottles are just as tall as my jigs. :confused:

daggerlee
02-02-2003, 03:54 PM
Hmm, get a small block of 2x4, long enough to rest a body on, and use that inside the dehydrator. It'd be relatively easy to grasp the body from under the roof to transfer from the bottle to the block.

Jay!
02-02-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by daggerlee
Hmm, get a small block of 2x4, long enough to rest a body on, and use that inside the dehydrator. It'd be relatively easy to grasp the body from under the roof to transfer from the bottle to the block. And what, then, for cars w/out trunks to rest upon. For example, shall we say, a WRX Wagon? :p

daggerlee
02-02-2003, 03:59 PM
Two pieces of 2x4, cut just long enough to fit inside the dehydrator to support the front and back pieces of the roof? Getting it off the bottle would be hard, wouldn't it, would need some pretty big hands to fit around the long roof to take it off..

SpoonMan Dos
02-02-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by jay@af
I use wire hangers for painting jigs, so how do I get it off the jig when still tacky?
I don't take my model off of the jig until it'c completely dry. I usually secure the model with painters masking tape. I usually make my jigs about the same width and length of the car, with handles on both sides.
So I can safely place the car in the dehydrator without jacking up the paint. It's not as Tall as a Snapple bottle, even with a car on it.

clatescivicr
02-02-2003, 06:18 PM
Great news! I was talking to my mom who is back at home and there is a "Big Lots" near me and I never knew!! Anyone have a picture of the box of theres or can you give me as much info as possible! Thanks a lot inadvance!

Jay!
02-02-2003, 10:11 PM
I don't take my model off of the jig until it'c completely dry. I usually secure the model with painters masking tape. I usually make my jigs about the same width and length of the car, with handles on both sides.
So I can safely place the car in the dehydrator without jacking up the paint. It's not as Tall as a Snapple bottle, even with a car on it. Any pics? :confused:

Oh, and what temps did you guys get warping at? I guess I'll leave mine on 95° until I braver. :o

freakray
02-02-2003, 10:15 PM
Hmmm....well that depends on what type of jerky you are making.... :p

The most common and trusted setting I have heard is not more than 110 degrees, but I have heard you are safe up to 120....personally, I like the idea of staying below 110 just for the reason that it is the temp everyone feels safest about.

If you look on page one of this thread Jay, Bob gives a good explanation of all the how to's of using the dehydrator for model drying

Ray

Jay!
02-02-2003, 10:28 PM
The most common and trusted setting I have heard is not more than 110 degrees, but I have heard you are safe up to 120....personally, I like the idea of staying below 110 just for the reason that it is the temp everyone feels safest about.

If you look on page one of this thread Jay, Bob gives a good explanation of all the how to's of using the dehydrator for model dryingI ask only because both SpoonMan Dos and 935k3 mention warping w/out even ballparking a temp. And I'm paranoid about my new toy ruining my other toys. :(

(and BTW, this thread is still only one page for me. ;))

freakray
02-02-2003, 10:34 PM
and BTW, this thread is still only one page for me.

In that case, start at the first post in the thread, and read from the top:p

P.S Is that a setting I missed?

EDIT: Forget it, I found where to change the setting:p

Jay!
02-02-2003, 10:51 PM
In that case, start at the first post in the thread, and read from the top:p Regardless of how many times I read it, it still doesn't say...what temps did you guys get warping at?

:rolleyes:

:right:

SpoonMan Dos
02-02-2003, 11:55 PM
Hey Jay, as far as temperatures go, I've never measured it. But here are some quick photos of my setup.
http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/959091Dehydrator001.jpg
http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/390845Dehydrator003.jpg
http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/928976Dehydrator004.jpg
This is all the space needed (with vents open) to dry vehicles.
http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/943410Dehydrator005.jpg
Hoped I helped a fellow modeler out.
Russ

Jay!
02-03-2003, 12:43 PM
Exactly what I was looking for. ;) Thanks!

clatescivicr
02-03-2003, 12:49 PM
Hey do you leave it that opened while its on? Sorry for the noobie question, but have never used or seen a food dehydrator and I want to buy one in the next few weeks. Thanks inadvance!

This is all the space needed (with vents open) to dry vehicles.
http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/943410Dehydrator005.jpg
Hoped I helped a fellow modeler out.
Russ

SpoonMan Dos
02-03-2003, 04:19 PM
Yes, I leave it open like that while it's on. If not, the heat becomes too hot for the plastic, and causes it to warp outta shape.

Jay!
02-03-2003, 04:45 PM
Yes, I leave it open like that while it's on. If not, the heat becomes too hot for the plastic, and causes it to warp outta shape. Does yours have any sort of thermostat? Mine can be set anywhere from 95° to 155°. I had it running at ~105° for a couple hours last night with no ill effects...

clatescivicr
02-03-2003, 04:48 PM
Yeah, I know this might sound like a stupid question, but how do you know when its "done"?

ZoomZoomMX-5
02-03-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by clatescivicr
Yeah, I know this might sound like a stupid question, but how do you know when its "done"?

Basically when the "fresh paint" smell is gone. Enamels are usually fine after overnight. Lacquers tend to dry faster, acrylics really depend on the brand.

clatescivicr
02-03-2003, 05:06 PM
Thanks a lot

*I think this is a VERY GOOD thread and should be in the next FAQ. Jay What do you think?*

freakray
02-03-2003, 05:10 PM
Finally something good came out of one of my posts.......lol:p

SpoonMan Dos
02-04-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by jay@af
Does yours have any sort of thermostat?
Nope. No thermostat. I can "smell" when it's done.

daggerlee
03-28-2003, 11:17 AM
The Ronco I got from Amazon.com finally came today. $40 flat, with Super Saver shipping - ordered about 2 weeks ago. First impressions: It's pretty 'cheaply' made, not in the term that it's poorly made, but it's so simple. Just a heating coil and some plastic racks. It's got vents on the bottom and top that never fully close.

It's plugged in right now, looks like I'll have to cut out one or two trays like everybody else. There's no fan or temperature setting, I don't have a thermometer other than ones used for measuring body temperature, so I honestly don't know how hot it gets. If I discover anything more I'll post in this thread..

Deejay27
04-06-2003, 06:24 AM
I would advise you add a fan to that if you haven't already done so. I picked up a used Ronco for $15 and added a 3" radio shack fan that I had laying around on the bottom tray to help circulate the air. Without the fan you will get hot spots.

Gallen Wolf
03-23-2004, 08:56 AM
I read that a food dehydrator can significantly reduce the drying time of paints... can I just stuff my car into a camera drybox? Or a air tight box filled with silica gel? Will I get the same effect as a dehydrator?

Thanks!

GW

freakray
03-23-2004, 09:05 AM
You know, that forum search feature is really something special......

BTW, no a drybox or air tight box WON'T work.

Gallen Wolf
03-23-2004, 09:22 AM
Good day!
I did use the search, but came up nil.... in any case, how does a dehydrator work to dry paint fast?

GW

sweetwhiteCAV
03-23-2004, 09:25 AM
you want the fumes to get out of the box, so air-tight container isnt a good idea...

freakray
03-23-2004, 11:08 AM
Good day!
I did use the search, but came up nil....

:bs:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68343&highlight=dehydrator

MPWR
03-23-2004, 03:32 PM
A food dehydrator works by blowing hot, dry air onto the food in the dryer, keeping a constant convection to essentially carry away moisture. Some people appearently have good luck with drying paint, but it sounds questionable to me. It all depends on the type of paint you're using. Acrylic is water based, so it does more or less, dry- water/alcohol based solevent evaporates out. However, enamel and laquer do not just dry. These paints need to cure, a process that goes on long after the paint is 'dry' to the touch. Putting a car freshly painted with enamel or laquer can be a bad thing- it's possible to over dry the outer surface of the paint, making it partially/completely impermiable. This can interfere with the curing of paint beneith this surface layer- not a good thing.

The simple truth is that paint needs a while to cure before you start cutting/polishing/handleing it. Trying to rush this can be a bad thing. Sick of waiting? Avoid enamels. Arylics and laquers tend to dry and cure much quicker.

935k3
03-23-2004, 08:58 PM
After buying one last year i have decided this is one of the best investments in the hobby I ever made. I paid 40 US at WalMart and it has a thermostat(95-155)and fan. I love it. It's also good for warming spray cans. Don't buy one without a thermostat or you could warp your model.
105 degrees seems to be the perfect temp for me.

Add your comment to this topic!