Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 Acclaim Question

mezz01
02-26-2007, 04:05 PM
Hello everyone!!
Hopefully someone can help me out.On my way to work this morning I got about 1/2 way on my 12 mile trip when I stopped at a light.When I accelerated again the car would not go over 20 miles an hr,started jerking then the oil light came on and the vehicle stopped.I restarted the car 2x and was able to make it to work.Afterwards I went to a mechanic and got a new oil change and fuel injection cleaner.The mechanic said that he didn't see any problems-the oil wasn't low or out,just dirty and couldn't find any other problems.I was able to get to about a mile from home when it started again.I filled my gas tank and was able to get home but I am wondering if I am going to have this problem again in the morning.The car has 83,000 miles on it and is probably only driven 26 miles a day.Any help or reccomendations are greatly apprechated
Thank you!!!

jthorn11
03-15-2007, 08:42 PM
i own a 91 acclaim myself and had a similar problem. i got to about 35 mph and noticed it was jumpy.. i floored it and the rpm actually dropped then the car turned off!! i thought it was maybe a fuel pump or filter. changed the filter but nothing. ended doing to the cheap stuff first and changed the distributor cap and rotor for maybe 20 bux... and bingo. that was it. the cap and rotor were pretty worn. u may want to give that a try.

Add your comment to this topic!