Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

sr20det swap help

schaffs240
02-25-2007, 02:00 AM
i have a 1989 nissan 240 sx and i just recently swaped 1992-93 sr20det into it. I finally got all of my hoses hooked up. i cranked it over and got it timed to where it is sapose to be. but its currently blowing out alot of smoke and isnt running perfectly smooth and when i rev it i do hear the turbo spoiling but the BOV never blows at all. there is some kind of leak on down by my turbo and exhaust manifold. i took of the piping thats right after the turbo and its dark and has an oily substance on the inside of the piping. i blieve its comming out from the manifold some where. i was wondering if anyone has any clue of what i should do to get it running better... get the leak sealed... and for the BOV to blow??. i think something might be messed up with the waste gate but im not sure on any of that.

assad_l
02-25-2007, 02:16 AM
back wen i did a trainee ship for a mechanic one guy was doing an engine transplant on a car and when he cranked it it was blowing alot of smoke too the problem was a few of the hoses were hooked up in the wrong places.. if i was you id go check the hoses first, thats my only suspicion no idea wat else hopefully its just the hoses loll but probly not..

klohiq
02-25-2007, 08:12 AM
turbos shot and engine is dead...might as well swap a ka-t into that thing

GrimL3
02-25-2007, 09:08 AM
I had the very same problem with the oily substance on my pipings, turned out to be bad Turbo gaskets, you should replace both of them, the turbo to manifold and turbo extension. As far as it not running smooth and blowing a lot of smoke, thats usually normal right after a swap for a while, make sure your CAS is properly installed,and double check all your pipes to ensure theres no real leaks. The blown gaskets could be the reason your BOV wont go off, it might be losing a lot of pressure through them.

hope this is helpful maybe

schaffs240
02-28-2007, 03:38 PM
there is a hole at the bottom of my exhaust manifold aftert the turbo.. but right before it goes and hooks up to the rest of my piping which goes unerneath my car. does anybody know what that is used for? or what belongs there?

HoosierDrifter
02-28-2007, 04:56 PM
there is a hole at the bottom of my exhaust manifold aftert the turbo.. but right before it goes and hooks up to the rest of my piping which goes unerneath my car. does anybody know what that is used for? or what belongs there?

emissions bs.... block it off

HoosierDrifter
02-28-2007, 04:58 PM
and yea... sounds like your turbo is shot... :( make sure your vacuum lines are right... which probably arent

schaffs240
03-01-2007, 11:11 PM
alrigth ill block that off then and see what i get out of all of that. thanks alot everyone for the help. just a quick question, since the turbo just berily fits under the exhaust manifold... what would you do if your looking to get a bigger turbo?

or what would you do just for more power? but you dont want to spend alot. because i have a friend that gets turbo's for cost so im jw?

Skylindrftr
03-02-2007, 12:27 AM
There are many bottom mount turbos that can make adequate power, or you can go with a top mount setup that has the exhaust manifold flipped and a external wg mounted to a flange on the bottom end.

schaffs240
03-03-2007, 02:04 AM
do you know of any bigger turbo that would go well with the sr20det and would still fit in the bottom mount postion?

Hit_N_Run-player
03-03-2007, 05:28 AM
a T28 is a nice SR turbo.

Skylindrftr
03-03-2007, 08:46 PM
any t28 will work well, from the s14, s15, or even a pulsar (what i have currently, thank you ross petty!)

schaffs240
03-29-2007, 04:47 PM
thanks for all the info. my engine isnt runnin right and once i umplug my maf it usually runs better. im guessingthe my maf is fried. i think that i should get a new one but im not havin much luck. i have found the maf off of an older 240 that is said to saposibly be able to work with the new SR motor. from everything i read its true but i had just wanted to make clear of it?

schaffs240
04-16-2007, 11:02 PM
i just replaced my maf and my car doesnt run right. when i rev it up it doesnt stay constant and back fires a little. it also puts out a little bit of grey smoke and sometimes the idle drops down low and doesnt almost dies. what shold i check or fix to try to get it running better?

slideways...
04-17-2007, 04:31 PM
check compression. then check the condition of the ignition system.

perrenial151
04-25-2007, 08:47 PM
Make sure there is no vacuum/ boost leaks. You cant really hear the stock bov

Add your comment to this topic!