Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help me identify this Merc

tdenkler
02-24-2007, 12:13 PM
I don't have pictures, but have run across 2 old Merc. They are full size, huge, and look something like a 65-66 Marauder, but are full fastbacks like the 67 charger. They are both big body not mid size but like i said look like 67 Charger's. Anybody got a guess?
I'm a Mopar guy and don't know much about Merc's, but these are very unusual

Thanks,
Tom Denkler
tdenkler3853@earthlink.net

cj750
03-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Sounds like a '68 Mercury Monterey.
Big but cool cars, virtually unknown and highly underappreciated these days, IMHO.
http://media.livedigital.com/pictures/13/f8/13f8a3ec1fda916a993c6accdb9a7a43.jpg

tdenkler
03-03-2007, 11:56 PM
Thats the guy. Are they valuable. Like I said, i saw 2 sitting on a hilltop. Look like they've been ignored for years.

Anyone interested?

cj750
03-04-2007, 04:56 PM
Unfortunately they aren't worth a great deal. They were never that common and with most of the attention being on pony cars and intermediates by '68, they didn't have a chance to develop much of a following.
Plus, although drivetrain parts are common with other Fords and Mercs of the era, no one reproduces much in the way of interior or trim parts for them, so a restoration of a car that isn't in decent shape to begin with would likely be difficult and costly.
Still, a nice fastback or convertible Monterey with buckets and floor console and one of the optional big blocks would probably bring decent money. The more typical bench seat/column shift version with a 2 barrel carb would be a harder sell.
A fastback with the optional "yacht panel decking" might be worth something for the novelty value, but doesn't much appeal to me.
http://media.livedigital.com/pictures/a0/db/a0dbbf262810614cae8efed5ac3834a8.jpg

Perhaps the Monterey's biggest claim to fame is that the band Green Day (who obviously could have had any car they chose) picked a '68 Monterey (convertible) for a couple of their videos. Doesn't seem to have impacted the demand much though.

Add your comment to this topic!