Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Jerking Car!!!!!!!!!!

triton1
02-13-2007, 07:11 AM
I have a 98 mystique, When your driving down the road it jerks
somtimes fairly hard, I replaced the fuel filter seem to work for a day now it is back the same way.
Could it be a filter in the tank? It does not matter if it is overdrive or not
but it is a real pain trying to drive when it feels like it will put you threw the winshield when it gets jerking.
Any suggestions ?:screwy:

robberblind
02-24-2007, 07:00 PM
I have a 98 Mystique as well. Auto, 6cyl, 2.5 L. I have also noticed that I get a jerking motion, whern my car shifts from first to second gear...seems to happen after the car has been running for about 10-15 mins or after 15 - 20km. If I pop it in neutral and turn off the engine and then turn it back on, it corrects its self, well until another 10-15 mins or 15 - 20km have past.. I thought maybe it was a computer problem because it seems to stop when the car is first turned on, but I don't know for sure...any help would be helpful ...

triton1
02-26-2007, 01:27 PM
Hi there mine is only a 2.0L 4 cyl. but more than likely the same trouble.
I fixed mine on the weekend I replaced the Timing belt and reset the timing.
It was a very simple job that only took about 4 hrs to complete and 50.00 for a new belt. The old one was stretched and it had jumped time a cog or two.
But it is running great now. I :banghead: On the wall for a long time now and this was the last thing to try.

pbrittain71
04-15-2007, 03:03 PM
I also have a 1998 Mercury mystique I had the same problem with it!! My car would loose power and speed as well!! Have you had your transmission serviced lately? Get it done I really am serious!!! I had to replace the wiring harness and the transmission as well!! Please go to the nearest ford motor company and spend the little bit to have it put on the machine!! I could save you to have to replace major parts. Do not Drive your car anymore until you get it fixed!!!

pbrittain71
04-15-2007, 03:06 PM
Your problem is possibly the fuel pump in the fuel tank!! There is a small pump they have put in the tank that could be causing your problems.

enigma6979
08-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Don't know if you ever figured out your issue, but I figured I'd throw my 2 cents in. Your car could possibly be going into "limp home mode". After several mechanics telling me I needed to get my tranny rebuilt at a price of about $1500, I finally found out from a tranny place that it wasn't my tranny, it was simply a sensor even though my check engine light was not on. My car was jerking because our dumb vehicles are made to do so if you have a sensor going to FORCE you to change the sensor. This is called "limp home mode". The repair that solved my problem ended up being a $26 neutral safety switch that is simple to install. Imagine how mad I was after 2 months of jerking and 3+ shops telling me it was my tranny.
Hope this helps.

AngelClawz
01-11-2008, 06:42 PM
I have a 99 auto v6 2.5l that jerks as well. I thought timing belt or transmission. I had them both checked out, and both came back in good condition. Try your sensors maybe, or fuel pump or fuel injector.

3100guy
03-05-2009, 10:06 PM
I've tried looking all over the internet for a quote on a wiring harness for my 95 mystique with a 6 cylinder. Could you please let me know what you paid so I have an idea on what's a good deal provided I can find a supplier. Thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!