Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How do you get to the Rear Window Motor??

bigdawg703
02-04-2007, 08:11 PM
Is there an easy way to get into the rear door where the window motor is? I know there is the panel that comes off but I cant really do anything from there.

Thanks

Truck
02-05-2007, 08:00 AM
Once you lower the tailgate, and remove the panel, you have to get the glass out of the way before you can think about the motor. You can kinda "pull" the glass up from the bottom, but eventually, you have to pull it from the 'top' side of the tailgate or you'll get caught in the window regulator (which looks like a three foot scissors.) Once you get the window all of the way ''out" you can repair the motor. (You might try just removing the panel if the window is stuck so you can't lower the tailgate, but the motor is between the outside skin and the regulator. (Make sure you support the window if you pull it out when the tailgate is down.)

visor mirror
02-13-2007, 12:23 PM
What is the problem? Window will not operate? I have had 4 Bronco's over the years and never had a problem with the tailgate window motor. The wires that feed the gate usually break. This occurs mostly in the jam, which requires stripping the protective covering to revel the wires. Other possibility is the safety switch located on the latch mechanism left side, but will require removing the window to access. Good Luck

visor mirror
02-14-2007, 09:01 AM
The only access to the motor is through the panel. Once the panel is off and the water shield (thick paper layer under the Access Panel) there are two large open spaces divided by a vertical panel, directly behind the panel is where the motor mechanisms is located. There are three or four bolts that attach it to the gate.

As the gentlemen that replied to you first indicated the motor is part of a rather large assembly. This entire assembly needs to be removed before the motor can be removed. Which again required the glass to be removed first.

Hope this helps.

jrsrs
04-06-2007, 09:10 PM
Once you lower the tailgate, and remove the panel, you have to get the glass out of the way before you can think about the motor. You can kinda "pull" the glass up from the bottom, but eventually, you have to pull it from the 'top' side of the tailgate or you'll get caught in the window regulator (which looks like a three foot scissors.) Once you get the window all of the way ''out" you can repair the motor. (You might try just removing the panel if the window is stuck so you can't lower the tailgate, but the motor is between the outside skin and the regulator. (Make sure you support the window if you pull it out when the tailgate is down.)

I have a 1996 Bronco. The tailgate will not open if the window is up. The window will not go down. I have removed the panel, checked the wiring, tried running a jumper from the battery to the motor and it won't work. Is there an easy way to get to the motor, besides having to cut a hole in the outside of the tailgate?

Thanks

visor mirror
05-09-2007, 01:15 PM
The window motor operates on reverse polarity, which means that the positive and negative connections switch to operate the window up or down. Normally this occurs in the switching mechanisms either in the key operated switch at the gate or the one on the dash. To have the gate operate remotely by use of jumpers it is necessary to bring both positive and negative jumper wires to the motor harness. Connect the wires and depending which way the window operates, switch the wires to go the opposite way. This should get the window down.

The window safety device is the reason the gate will not open if the window is not completely down. There is rod that the window pushes down on; this in turn pulls another mechanism that allows the gate latches to operate. If the window is down enough to get by the top and you won’t break the window you can remove the inner panel and pull down on the rod and open the gate. The rod is located behind the window on the outer panel side about in the middle of the gate.

Good luck.

jrsrs
05-30-2007, 01:37 PM
Thank you for the information, especially about the reverse polarity. This allowed me to finally get the window down. It turned out that the motor was ok after all. There was a bad switch, couple of broken wires that I epoxied back where they belonged and now window & tailgate are usable again. Appreciate your help.

Add your comment to this topic!