Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Timing belt

billyray63
01-27-2007, 05:05 PM
I bought a 1999 300 this week and has all the toys on it that Chrysler has to offer. The bad news is it has 160.000 on it. When I got it home I started to hear about the timing belt and that has never been changed. I'm not going drive it tell I put in a new one but should I replace the water pump too. The guy took care of it and and he got it new. He was a old fart like me as I have been a retired mechanic for a few years and I added up what he spend on it as I got all the paper work with and it and it was more then I paid him. If you guys think of something else I should check let me know but new sway bars bushings, tires, rotors, and the list goes on.
Thanks

tinmanwpk
01-30-2007, 07:08 AM
You should definitely replace the belt, and now! They should be replaced at 100k miles along with the water pump and the belts and a couple of other items. You can get all the definitive information at 300mclub.org. I'm a regular contributor on that site and it has all the helpful info. Go lurk for a while if you want. Try the search feature on "timing AND belt" and you will find over 250 threads. Check it out. It will be the best thing you can do today for you and your M. These people love their M's and it shows.

billyray63
01-30-2007, 09:25 AM
I went to the 300m club and join. Thanks for letting know about it. I'm reading there some guys could spend up to $2000 to have the job done. I check at rockauto and I see the belt and waterpump are about 50.00 each. what am I'm missing and what else should I replace with them. Could you list the parts that I need to get. I want to do the job right and I'm going do it myself. I would like to start driving the car but it's going sit in the garage tell I get this done.. I talked to the guy that I got the car from and the garage told him replace the ac and alt belt which he did but nothing about the timing belt.

tinmanwpk
01-30-2007, 09:37 AM
Go to the website. Find the "search" feature. Type timing AND belt .

When the responses appear, count down 11 threads to "Thermostat Change w/Timing Belt/Water Pump Change".

Read the thread and you will get your answer. While you are in that search mode, read some of the other threads on your topic or type some other search engine questions for additional answers.

billyray63
01-30-2007, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the help. I read all the threads and the one you told me about. I retired back in 92 when I was fifty four so it has been a few years since I have been in the trade. I have always been a GM guy but when I saw the 300 I thought nice car. Now I'm not sure if I should have got it after reading the threads. I have a nice car in the garage that I'm a scared to drive tell I get a new timing belt on it. I have a Chev pickup and my old Buick to drive so I'm ok for wheels. You have a member named Vegas that saids I need special tools and don't go by the timing marks on the engine as they could be off and some members say don't buy a car with that kind of miles on it that the belt has not been changed. I gave 2800 for it which I thought was good deal and the car is nice but I did not think I would have to put 3or 4 hundred or more then that if I took it to a dealer before I can drive it. I guess I'm from the old school that you drive them tell they stop and then you towed them home and fix the problem. Thanks again for the info.

tinmanwpk
01-31-2007, 08:27 AM
Glad to help. You will find the folks in the 300Mclub are most helpful and will answer your questions the best they can. Vegas was knowledgeable, but is no longer around. Once the belt is changed out your car should be great to drive for a long time. This is my second M and I love my car. They ride great, look fantastic and have some good performance. I hope you can work it all out.

billyray63
02-01-2007, 08:36 PM
I was over at the 300 club and went to new topic and on top wrote timing belt and then in the box with what I was having trouble with as I started working on the car and hit submit and have no idea what happen to my question. I am a member as I checked so I'm not trying to come off as a jerk but with this forum we are in now I have sent in question on different cars I have own and have no problems. Maybe you can help me here. Pulling the top shroud I got all the bolts out but behind the grille are two rivets on the shroud with straps going down behind the grille. What more do I have to do to get the shroud off. I am not that great on a computer but I checked there on FAQ at the 300club and it looked like I did things right. I have a book coming but I would like to get started. I think I will just have to use the 300club for answers from other people questions as I have been back there a lot and can not find out what I did wrong.
Thank again

tinmanwpk
02-05-2007, 08:47 AM
A couple of things. First, you must be logged in in order to post on the forum. Perhaps that was the problem. Second, check this thread. In the thread is an exploded view of the timing belt "system" showing bolts, pulleys, etc. Maybe this will help:

www.300mclub.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13480&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=1a2217421999ee934319a9cb43daf233

billyray63
02-05-2007, 11:17 AM
Your right I was not signed in. I want to thank you for the help. I printed that thread off you told me about. If I have any more questions I will ask them over at the club.

Thanks again

tinmanwpk
02-06-2007, 07:29 AM
Let us know over at the 300mclub site how it all went.

JBRONCFAN
04-02-2007, 02:59 PM
Hey tinman, why don't you do us all a favor and STAY over at the 300m.org website that you are OBVIOUSLY spamming for.

Jesus Christ, every other word in EVERY post of yours is "go check out the site", "go check out the site". Fuuckin pathetic.

HEY, if it's such a great site to be at then, WHY AREN'T YOU THERE NOW!!!

If it's such a great site, why don't you do us all a favor and STAY over there!!!!!

tinmanwpk
04-03-2007, 02:36 PM
Hey tinman, why don't you do us all a favor and STAY over at the 300m.org website that you are OBVIOUSLY spamming for.

Jesus Christ, every other word in EVERY post of yours is "go check out the site", "go check out the site". Fuuckin pathetic.

HEY, if it's such a great site to be at then, WHY AREN'T YOU THERE NOW!!!

If it's such a great site, why don't you do us all a favor and STAY over there!!!!!

I apologize if you are offended by my trying to help someone. The only reason I tried to direct folks to that website is because they have more collective knowledge than both you and I and anyone else here, most probably. A group who specializes in that particular vehicle platform can work together to better serve than just one or two folks, and I was under the impression we were here to help. Why don't you try to help folks instead of shouting out insults?

billyray63
04-04-2007, 07:53 PM
Hey how did I got into this. the 300 site is a good site and they help me out a lot. I agree with JBRONCFAN every hit on this site Tinman should not have to say go to the 300 site. There is a lot of members there that know a lot but a lot of the members take it to a dealer or shop and a guy next door to do the work on the 300 site. I think a lot don't don't like to get there hands dirty. One thing don't make a joke there as I said the belt was tight getting on and I wish my wife was that tight as I still would be married to her and they cut it out as the said they have ladies on the site. I could have I been saying that she is tight with money. I told about a bout eight ladies that I know and they all laugh. Some guy was talking about a drain cock and they cut. So just ask about car info as not much of a sense of humor there.

tinmanwpk
04-05-2007, 07:06 AM
Billyray63, you are not in the middle. The other fellow was giving me grief because I may not be as knowledgeable as others so I direct folks to a site where folks do know more than most about this model car. Heck, even you said they helped. I do have to agree with you about being a little uptight about even slightly off color jokes. I have been hammered in the past, too. Sorry if I "dragged" you in. I was only trying to help.

billyray63
04-05-2007, 08:12 AM
Hey Tinman. I was not bother by this at all. Just wondering why my thread was picked. I think both sites are good. The 300 site told me about a short cut on installing the timing belt and saved me a lot of work. I like this forum as I have a pickup and couple other cars which it has helped me on. These are the only two auto forums I have on my computer. Say question. I got rid of dex-cool out of the pickup a few years ago and went with the green stuff as I heard what crap it was. What about the same with the GO-5 ? Any harm. I know you have to flush the hell out before switching. I buy the green stuff in bulk as I have some equipment I use it in so I have a lot on hand.

tinmanwpk
04-05-2007, 03:46 PM
GO-5 is the only anti-freeze to use in the M.

JBRONCFAN
04-06-2007, 09:16 AM
I said what I said tinman cause, when you look at all your old posts almost EVERY POST says go to the other 300m site. ALMOST EVERY ONE!!!!

So do us all a favor and go hang out over there since it's so much better a forum!!!

JBRONCFAN
04-06-2007, 09:30 AM
Here are some cut/pastes from your posts tinman:

"your tranny goes into "limp" mode only driving in second gear and the speedo doesn't work. Once again, check our 300mclub.org for details.

Try stillen.com or trenz.com for high end billet grilles. Check out 300mclub.org for all the information you would ever want to know about your M.

Your best bet is to get on the 300M website at 300M.org. I can't answer your question,

The best forum around for the 300M is at 300mclub.org. Ask them.

Check out 300mclub.org of which I am a member. This topic has been discussed many times

Can't help much with the wiring, but I can lead you to some folks who can - 300mclub.org.

Present your problem at 300mclub.org. I am not saying we can answer it

The mileage issue may be something as simple as your downstream O2 sensors or may be something else, too. Once again, use the search feature on the 30M site.

Check out the following:

http://www.300mclub.org/forums/viewt...ing+wheel+play

http://www.300mclub.org/forums/viewt...ing+wheel+play

If these don't answer, then do a search on the site and type in:
steering AND wheel AND play"

20% of your posts, that I could find, had REFERALS for members here to go to the other 300m forum. Pretty fuuckin obvious and pretty fuucking pathetic.

Another funny thing is, you don't start any threads, you just answer them and promote the other site. The site that BEGS people for member's fees even though it's a "free" site.

I'm sure if I REALLY looked, 20% could easily spin up a lot higher.

Get lost.

car5car
04-10-2007, 08:39 AM
You should replace timing belt tentioner/pulleys and all seals (crank,cam and maybe more).
I would replace oil with half quart ATF as cleaning (poor ATF and run 5 min at 2000 RPM before draining oil.)

JBRONCFAN
04-11-2007, 07:53 AM
You should replace timing belt tentioner/pulleys and all seals (crank,cam and maybe more).
I would replace oil with half quart ATF as cleaning (poor ATF and run 5 min at 2000 RPM before draining oil.)

You're saying to lose .5 quart of motor oil and POUR in .5 quarts of ATF fluid??? Never ever heard of this!!

billyray63
04-11-2007, 08:56 AM
I did the job all ready and seeing I did not have to pull any of the pulleys to get the belt on but checked the seals and they were dry. I'm going pull the covers in about 10,000 just to check the belt and seals. I have used ATF fore years in my diesel equipment but I put it in my fuel. Years ago I had a diesel pickup and had some injectors rebuilt from the truck I had and the shop told me ATF was the best thing for cleaning the injectors so every once in a while I would put in a quart in the fuel and I still do on my equipment. I don't see any harm putting in the oil. ATF is just a high detergent oil. I'm not a big fan of additives but I like sea-foam. I use some in chainsaws, mowers, etc. Had a car once that the lifers sounded like they were changing holes when running and put it in the oil and it took care of it

car5car
04-11-2007, 10:11 AM
You're saying to lose .5 quart of motor oil and POUR in .5 quarts of ATF fluid??? Never ever heard of this!!
Before you change oil poor 1 quart ATF in oil and run at 2000 RPM for 5 min (don't drive.) Change oil as usually

Add your comment to this topic!