Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

350Z vs. G35 coupe

ParadoxxNYC
09-21-2002, 11:54 PM
Don't roll your eyes just yet. :rolleyes: I've been a Z fan since I could drive a car. And I'm just waiting for my lease to run out so I can get the new one. But from what I've seen about the G35 coupe, it looks damn good. And performance isn't very far behind the Z either. The car looks more sophisticated, more refined. Same engine, different suspension, different handling. And the price is only 4-6 grand more than the Z. I'm a bit perplexed here. I'm dying for the Z, but now I see its more "grown up" cousin from Infiniti. I like both, but I know that soon I will have to decide. What are your thoughts on the G35 coupe, from what you've seen/heard anyway.:confused:

350z4me
09-24-2002, 03:41 PM
I believe that the G35 coupe has 315hp and has rear seats wtich is a plus, dont get me wrong i no the z is a sports car but.... no rear seats kind of turns me off but i'd still drive one. I've also seen ppl say that the G35 will have a turbo version but i would think that would have a realy larg price tag, to big for me.

MattyG
09-24-2002, 04:07 PM
Tough call. They both look to be awesome cars. I like the look of Infiniti a little better, but the Z seems more sports oriented.....too close to call.

ParadoxxNYC
09-24-2002, 05:57 PM
See, that's my point exactly. Too close to call. Thank god I'll be in the new car market only next August so both will be available for a test-drive. And btw, the G35 is around 280 ponies, from what the infiniti website says. If, after I drive both, I don't see a drastic difference, I'll probably go with the G35. I know, I should be burned at the stake for saying that. But I'm not going to race every 18 year old whose daddy dumped 40G into a Vette. I'm getting a car for personal love of driving a performance vehicle. For all rice-heads out there, and penis-measuring kiddies, what I'm saying may sound dumb. But I'm 25, and if I'm spending my money on a car, I want to be sure that I'm getting the best car I can get in my price range.

w0mbat
09-25-2002, 02:21 PM
I have a bunch of friends drooling over the G35 coupe already. At least 2 of them will be buying it within a year. Also, with a base of 29K, this car might end up being the Honda Accord of the near-luxury market. I like to think that the 350Z with its unabashedly sports car orientation and only 2 seats will be a little more exclusive. Also, there is a lot of history behind the Z that just makes the deal for me. My first foray into non-Bavarian sports car land has to be in something with a heritage.
Its a close call but I'm going with the Z.

tomlong
09-27-2002, 09:23 PM
I have the same problem I will have to make the decision because I will own one or the other within the next year. I like the rearend, tailights, and turn markers on the G35 better; however I am keeping my accord as a daily driver since I spend the large majority of my day driving around.So the reasoning for me buying a SPORTS car is to not have a back seat, however the G35 has been changing my philosophy.
In regards to performance it is a mute issue because within the next two years there will be so many aftermarket parts for both of them that you'll be able to make them perform as well as you want or can afford.

Very hard call! G35, no Z, no G35, no Z because they can be bought in that Flame orange paint.

VroomGal
09-30-2002, 01:38 AM
Ok - according to the October 2002 issue of Motor Trend that I hold in my hand right now the Infiniti G35 SEDAN has the base engine that is a 3.5L/260HP DOHC v-6 While the COUPE has the optional 3.5L/280hp DOHC v6. The curb weight of the infinity is 3336lbs. while the curb weight for the Z is an estimated 3150lbs. The base price is $27,100 to $30,000.. I assume the optional engine either starts at the $30k mark or is somewhere close to it. While the styling is more refined and it does have a back seat, it also carried the "grand-pa wanted a sports car look" Thats just my opinion. I dont know the track record on Inifiniti's but wouldn't it cost more for parts and service on one than a Nissan? I speak biased b/c I just put a deposit on my 350z on Friday and I'm 1/2 way trying to convince myself that I'm making the right decision as far as ordering now instead of waiting to see if I like the G35. The Z is on the G35 chasis, uses the same engine and all.. but I'd say the basic difference is sport vs. luxury. It's obvious that the Inifiniti is going to be the luxury version of the Z.. lacking in performance while gaining a few pounds (maybe the infiniti logo isn't on a restrictive diet like Nissan) I think your decision should be based on luxury or sport.. which one do you want more?? The G isn't quite as refined when it comes to power but if you want a great combination that and luxury and creature comforts.. I say go for it.. The Z is geared towards a younger audience who wants more sport and less frills. How old do you feel??

Oh yeah.. and I love the look I see people get in the Z.. the classic "that's a nissan?!?!" look.. I think that look is well worth the price :)

devaraj
09-30-2002, 04:39 PM
I am (a very young) 54 years of age and have been driving Sport Coupes for many years. I now want a real sports car, and the 350Z blows me away with its looks and performance. Believe me, the Infiniti G35 is beautiful, but it will always just be a Sports Coupe - - the Z is definitely my Sports Car of choice !!

Stangduo
10-01-2002, 05:16 PM
I agree with Vroomgal, Luxury vs Sport is the choice you need to make. Will you be able to make the G35 fast, yes, but you will probably never be able to whip it around corners like you can the Z. By the same token if you want 2 people besides you in your car then the G35 is the option. Either way I dont think you will lose.

Best just to test drive both and pick the one that makes your heart sing with joy.

VroomGal
10-03-2002, 12:55 AM
Wooohooo, I got my new issue of Motor Trend today and uh.. buddy... there's a purdy little article in there about the G35 coupe.. It's very pretty, inside and out. Although, since for the past 4 weeks my eyes have seen nothing BUT the z's.. it actually looks a little awkward.. you know, so similar but not? The interior is GORGEOUS though, especially compared to the not so pretty interior of the Z... so again, its luxury vs. sport!!

boingo82
10-03-2002, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by VroomGal
.... I dont know the track record on Inifiniti's but wouldn't it cost more for parts and service on one than a Nissan? ...

Actually most of the mechanicals for these cars are the same, so nothing stops you from getting either car serviced either place. Infinitis typically have better reliability that Nissans, because they are assembled in Japan, but both makes are still excellent. Infiniti service locally is $75 hourly, and so is Nissan, the difference being that Infiniti washes/vacuums your car and gives you a loaner if the service is warranty. However that is the local Nissan dealership, I don't know what the national policy/price is.

I think in the G35 vs. 350Z decision, it all comes down to whether you prefer pure performance or you'd rather have a little more lux. It's a personal decision, and in my humble opinion, you can't go wrong with either car.

the_bode
10-06-2002, 03:58 PM
Ugh... Tough call... I just put down a deposit for a 6sp Touring 350Z, which is going to run me about 35K + tax (DVD navigation and other small extras bump up the price). The G35 looks awesome, definitely more refined, but it is a little longer, heavier, and tuned more for comfort than for pure performance. Also, the Touring package on the 350Z has pretty much all the same little luxuries (leather, Bose audio, heated seats, etc.) as the G35. Too close to call, like others have said.

It all comes down lifestyle in the end, I guess. I'm 28, unmarried, and at this point the Z looks like the better choice (especially w/ La Mans Sunset exterior! :) ), but if I were ten years older with a wife and kids I would probably opt for the G35. As it stands now, one of my friends is getting a G35, so I'll have ample opportunity to compare the two--I look forward to running circles around him! :)

tomlong
10-10-2002, 08:40 PM
I have a question. You said you just put down a deposit on the 350Z 6M touring edition in LeMans Sunset. I was about do do the exact same thing; however I want to check out the interior of the Track Model and rate the stereo in the touring model. What made you decide that the leather and stereo were a better choice than the Brembo's, superlight wheels, and zero lift rearend? I wish that nissan had not offered two top of the line models with different options. I want a track model with the Bose stereo and leather interior. It does not make much sense to me, but I would like to know if you had the opportunity to compare radios, and comfort(seats) between the two models.

I live in the middle of nowhere and my local dealer just got his Nissan Franchise two months ago so needless to say he will not have any to check out for another month or so, and I am very hesitant to place my order without comparing the two up close.

squallz3
11-12-2002, 10:31 AM
I think the infiniti is better because of the Brembo breaks, I've got them on my Supra and that right there is worth the 3 grand

ZRocka
11-12-2002, 02:15 PM
I disagree. The Z350 is sportier, better handeling and value for dollar I think is the best sportscar you can buy. The Brembo brakes are available on the Z just as on the G35. You seem to have more options to go with the base package or the Track, where as in the G35 you are limited. The 2+2 is bennificial if you are looking for extra room or somewherer to stuff the kids. But for Myself, if I was concerned about backsets... I wouldn't consider the Z in the first place. I have had the chance to test drive both. I love the Z and put my deposit down. :) Happy driving all.

Got DSM
11-12-2002, 04:19 PM
My opinon is as follows. I'm pretty sure that Nissan had made the idea for the 350Z before this G35 car and Infiniti looks like it pretty much stole the design except for the front and backend. The G35 is just 7 hp short of the 350Z with 287. Personally if anyone is wondering which one to buy, I'd go with the Nissan. I think it looks a lot cooler than the G35 and the 350Z is an add on the the Z collection. :flipa: INFINITI!!!

boingo82
11-12-2002, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Got DSM
...:flipa: INFINITI!!!

They're the same company. :rolleyes: I like the looks of both cars - I think which you'd prefer depends on personal choice, but I'd choose the one with more seating.

realz1
11-22-2004, 12:16 PM
Ok, ive done all the research and all the test drives for both cars before I purchased my g35 coupe, and let me tell you from a personal standpoint, like a lot of you say, its all about personal preference. Living in the Cali Bay Area, ricers are a dime-a-dozen here with every kid having a 2-fast-2-furious complex. (being a former ricer pre-fast&furious in the early 90's) and basically, mommy and daddy buying whatever car they want (for those of you who BOUGHT their car, props!). All i know in my area is kids thinking they are cool cuz they can quarter fast, but cant freeway run for shhhhh! When I got the job i got, making a very good income, I had to stear away from ricers, cuz it was getting to expensive for fix-it tix, blown cv boots, replacement axles, not to mention mods up the a$$ that really have no significance for owning your car in the long run (besides, asian kid + ricer = easy ticket! you feel me). I got the g35 coupe purely for style. I have eyed the car since its concept days in Japan, and wanted one ever since. I love the z series, so i aint a car hater, but I'm hating on certain Z drivers out there who think they are the better car. There really is no better car when you look at the facts. Both the Z and the G have decent HP (Z has 7 more) BUT the G has a better torque/HP ratio which, for you who know your engines, is where the catch is, being that the closer the ratio, the better the performance. The G gave me a more mature feeling while the Z comes across as a ricer. And when it came to the streets, I got no funk from other g35 drivers, but I have received plenty of heat from Z drivers. So seems to me that the Z community seem to be in the state of racer-nirvana while the G35's have been more laid back. I dunno. Its stupid, and I got my G to steer away from ricers like that. I let them fly away and I just enjoy saving myself GAS! Suckas! Anyways, to go further into my research, Infiniti has a more difficult financing program for those of you credit-impared. But, the warranty is better on the Infiniti (ie 7 year 70000 vs 5 year 50000 powertrain), the dealerships are more mature and they give you a g35 to drive while they service your g35, the RESALE value is MUCH higher than the Z, the trade-in's are higher for the Z than the G (meaning people are trading their Z's for G's than vice-versa). This is not fabricated, do your research. (1 year of research, check out Car and Driver) Plus, the g35, 2x car of the year! Best in class for 2004! You cant go wrong. Dont assume you know the facts, find out for yourself before you talk. it goes beyond websites and forums. Go to the dealerships. Performance, price and whos faster is small talk compared to how you can finance, whats your coverage and warranty etc. But like i said, preference. It boils down to style. BUT WE ALL ARE NISSAN HERE, SO FOR ALL YOU HATERS REMEMBER, ITS THE SAME FAMILY. STICK TOGETHER AND STOP THE STREET HATE. BE SAFE AND SAVE THE RACING FOR THE PROS. peace.

realz1
11-22-2004, 12:21 PM
They Are The Same Company! Infiniti-nissan, Lexus-toyota, Acura-honda! There Is No Stealing. Nissan Is Being Manufatured In The Us While Infiniti Is Still Imported. F Who? Your F'ing Yourself! And Who Cares About 7 Hp, Have You Seen The Torque/hp Ratio? Infiniti Has That Advantage.

<SSR>David
12-23-2004, 12:59 AM
Many of you guys said this already but I test drove both cars and a few more before I bought my 350z. The 350z won't have the comfort, or the luxury, but it does have more of a rush when you drive. I don't know I think its only me but when I drove the G35 I felt like the car was trying to hold out on me. The power is almost the same as the 350z or thats what infinity claims but when I drove it it felt a little bit weaker. Even though it was lacking power ( in my opinion ) the luxury part really amazed me. I mean all Infinity calls are awsome cars and they did not stop with the G35. The seats were just awsome, the dashboard was perfect very stylish and the gauges were in perfect view, but I wasn't looking for a luxury, comfortable car.

When I drove the 350z I felt a really big rush. The power was awsome. the cornering force of the 350z really amazed me. From the moment I put it in first gear and drove off to the moment I stopped I felt a huge rush. The seats weren't as comfortable as the G35, but I really wasn't looking for a car that was comfortable. I was at the time looking for a car that I could improve and still drive daily. I was looking for huge power and that is what I felt with the 350z.

What I'm trying to say is that if you are trying to decide over the G35 or the 350z think if you want luxury or full out performance.

One more thing. I really didn't like what Realz put on his post about asian + ricer = easy ticket. It kind of feels like he is saying only asian kids drive ricer cars you feel me?

realz1
12-27-2004, 09:20 AM
SOrry david, i must have not been clear on my message. Being in the area that im in, and BACK IN THE DAY circa early 90's when it was primarily an asian dominant thing IN the area I LIVE in, we were easy targets. It was a mentality of the PD that modded car and asian kid must be an easy target, and we were. Simple pop and pull. In fact, you can say i was singled out just cuz i am filipino and i look young. Regardless, i was all smog legal but they pop you for the easiest things like ground clearance etc. I NEVER SAID ONLY ASIANS DIRVE RICERS. I implied myself as an easy target. So im sorry if i offended you David, but dont be offended. Its a hard knock life whether you like it or not. And in response to YOUR comments, hey, like i said, whatever you prefer. Also, insurance played a big part in my decision too. Sports car vs luxury, my g got a lower rate. anyways, much love and dont forget, WE ALL FAMS in here, NISMO baby! Peace. -ReaLZ1

<SSR>David
01-03-2005, 01:59 AM
=) we still kind of are. Not as much but we still are and I think we will always be an easy target. I hope they stop >.< but that is only a dream. =) and realz where you from?

realz1
01-03-2005, 09:56 AM
From the gateway to the silicon valley...bay area, cali.

Lol wat?
01-18-2010, 12:34 AM
I just wanted to point out that you don't own your car so techinically a driver of 1985 Grand Marquis gets more respect than a person who leases a car. How can you call yourself an ethusiast with a car you can barely modify? :shakehead I saw this thread while searching for "g35 vs Z nissan"

BruceThomas
02-06-2011, 12:51 PM
This entire thread is pointed in the wrong direction, what you guys are juxtaposing would be like comparing a 350z to a Nissan Pathfinder JUST because they share the same engine.

The G35 is not a luxury version of the 350z, and the 350z is not a sporty version of the G35, they are two different models altogether.

The 350z comes from the Fairlady Z line of cars from Nissan, as I'm sure all or most car enthusiasts will know.

The G35 is a re-badged version of the Nissan Skyline V35.

The Z and G35 are totally different cars with similar suspension, engine type, and engine layout (Front Midship engine layout popular with new Nissan performance vehicles)

Look up a 2003 Nissan Skyline and you will see my point, The G35 and Skyline V35 are built in the same city, use all the same components, even the same paint job lol. Having this argument is like saying a Nissan Skyline GT-R is a "luxury" version of a 1994 Nissan 300ZX, the two cars are completely different.

crzytuner2
04-21-2011, 08:40 PM
I'm glad someone knows what they are talking about. It's a nice comparison from the skin out. but that is about as much as you can say.

Add your comment to this topic!