Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Is a SUV or Van a truck?

FormulaLT1
12-01-2006, 01:52 AM
I recently had a dispute with someone over a SUV being a truck. I said it was a nice truck and the other party said it was not a truck but a SUV to which I stated that a SUV is a type of truck. Then we got into GMC trucks and if they are GM's truck division and they make a SUV it must be a truck. Then they stated a van is not a truck either. So I was wonder if it is just me or do you guys as well consider vans and SUV's to be truck.

666_speed
12-01-2006, 01:56 AM
Is a suv or van a truck... Yes or No?

I'm not sure how to vote, but I'd vote closer to a truck. I don't think a van is a truck.

Genopsyde
Yes, always have been, always will be.

cuda_dude
are suvs and vans considered a truck is what he means

cuda_dude
12-01-2006, 01:57 AM
a truck is a truck, a car is a car, a van is a van and an suv is an suv.... what is so hard about that concept

FormulaLT1
12-01-2006, 02:03 AM
a truck is a truck, a car is a car, a van is a van and an suv is an suv.... what is so hard about that concept
Hey, everyone. Guess who I was disagreeing about this with :uhoh: .

:lol: , its a truck. In NY and NJ I know for a fact if you have a work Van, you have to get commercial TRUCK plates. Also GMC trucks makes vans.

Genopsyde
12-01-2006, 02:04 AM
when "suv's" first came out, the term "suv" didn't even exist, they were called trucks. Therefore they are still considered trucks on a sub-level.

Genopsyde
12-01-2006, 02:05 AM
For example, I own 3 cars and 1 TRUCK!

cuda_dude
12-01-2006, 02:06 AM
thats like saying a car isnt a car, it's an automobile...

cuda_dude
12-01-2006, 02:07 AM
Hey, everyone. Guess who I was disagreeing about this with :uhoh: .

:lol: , its a truck. In NY and NJ I know for a fact if you have a work Van, you have to get commercial TRUCK plates. Also GMC trucks makes vans.
In michigan our plates aren't class specific they are only commercial and non commercial a van is registered as a van, an suv is registered as an suv and a truck as a truck...

cuda_dude
12-01-2006, 02:10 AM
has anyone seen the 1st truck ever made? It oldly looks just like the trucks chevy and gm still market as trucks...

FormulaLT1
12-01-2006, 02:11 AM
thats like saying a car isnt a car, it's an automobile...Oh man, that is so sig worthy :lol: . I think you just made everyone just a little more stupid for having read that post and with this bunch that aint easy :uhoh: .

J/K :icon16:

Genopsyde
12-01-2006, 02:12 AM
thats like saying a car isnt a car, it's an automobile...
My IQ went down a couple points after reading that.

both trucks and cars are automobiles, just different categories.

look at it like this..

AUTOMOBILES
........>Cars
...............-Wagon
...............-Coupe
...............-Sedan
........>Trucks
...............-Pickup
...............-Van
...............-Sport Utility

cuda_dude
12-01-2006, 02:28 AM
no it's more like this
AUTOMOBILES

>Cars
-Wagon
-Coupe
-Sedan

>Trucks

-light duty
--pickup (such as ford ranger)

-medium duty
--pickup(such as silverado)
--dump

-heavy duty
--pickup(hd silverado, dualy etc)
--dump(such as cargo truck etc)

>Van
-cargo
-passenger

>Sport Utility
-full size
-mid size

etc...

Genopsyde
12-01-2006, 02:40 AM
uhh, no.

FormulaLT1
12-01-2006, 02:44 AM
uhh, no.
:lol: , Werd :grinyes:

cuda_dude
12-01-2006, 02:47 AM
if suvs and vans are trucks then why isnt it a Van Truck or a Sport Utility Truck? instead we have pickup trucks, dump trucks, cargo trucks... etc...

FormulaLT1
12-01-2006, 02:51 AM
if suvs and vans are trucks then why isnt is a Van Truck or a Sport Utility Truck? instead we have pickup trucks, dump trucks, cargo trucks... etc...
Why is there a Sports car and you never hear sedan car or wagon car :rolleyes: . Now you are really reaching :lol: .

hotrod_chevyz
12-01-2006, 03:55 AM
Example 1: full size ford bronco. Remove the top, its now a truck.

Example 2: full size blazer. Remove the top, its now a truck.

Example 3: international scout. remove the top, its now a truck.

These were considered "all-terrain passenger vehicles". They were considered part of each companies truck line. This was before "suv" was marketed.

Just because they added cup holders and the tops of suv's arent removeable, doesnt in my opinion make them any less truck. All they did is took a truck chassis, removed the partition between the bed and cab, and threw a back seat in it and a lid on it to suit sales.

van definition:

1.a covered vehicle, usually a large truck or trailer, used for moving furniture, goods, animals, etc. 2.a smaller boxlike vehicle that resembles a panel truck, often has double doors both at the rear and along the curb side, and that can be used as a truck, fitted with rows of seats, or equipped with living quarters for traveling and camping.

SUV definition:

sport utility vehicle: n : a high-performance four-wheel drive car built on a truck chassis.

car definition: 1. an automobile

>By definition a van and suv is a kind of truck and they are all cars.

wrightz28
12-01-2006, 10:20 AM
I have 2 words for all of ya'll:

el Camino :lol2:

twospirits
12-01-2006, 11:12 AM
I have 2 words for all of ya'll:

el Camino :lol2:

Well, there goes that theory.:lol:

Seriously, since my insurance company classifies my suv as a truck, it is therefore a truck. (Even if its rides "car like" and never seen any off road debris). Its still a truck, not because its called Sports utility Vehicle (actually (Surburban Use Vehicles) but because it is based on a truck platform.

Its funny, back in 2004 (http://itd.idaho.gov/transporter/2004/020604_Trans/020604_SUVs.html) from one of my assemblymen prosed this brainiac idea. :shakehead

Personnally I think its an ongoing evolution of cars. It was only two types, cars and trucks, cars gave birth to station wagons, trucks (uncovered) gave birth to vans (covered trucks) which gave birth to minivans. Somewhere along the way, the SUV became a marriage of the station wagon and minivan. Nowadays, even the SUV is morphing into the cross over vehicle (even though I think the Dodge Magnum is a station wagon on steriods).

TS out

cuda_dude
12-01-2006, 11:13 AM
an el camino is a truck

wrightz28
12-01-2006, 11:20 AM
an el camino is a truck

I look at it this way:

A Explorer is enclosed rear Ranger, thus it's a truck, same as Expition = F150, Tahoe, Escalade, Silverado = 1500, so, all the same platform of a truck.

This makes an el camin a trunkless Monte Carlo (Chevelle in it's earlier days), a car, you loose. :smooch:

alphalanos
12-01-2006, 11:20 AM
I consider SUVs and Vans trucks. Depends on what type of frame they build it on. Im guessing an El Camino was built from a truck frame? Other wise people would try to carry stuff then complain when the frame broke only to have Chevy say "well its not actually a truck" etc.

Earlsfat
12-01-2006, 04:32 PM
First of all (GENO!) an Oldsmobile Bravada doesn't qualify as a truck... it's too girly. :lol:

Second; NJ also has Pole-Smoking Governors, so what their license plates say means absolutely nothing. :rofl:

Third; I'm with Dylan, the chassis dictates the type of vehicle... :thumbsup:

Fourth; Allstate considered my 97 Z71 a "wagon" so what insurance companies say is tripe. :disappoin

And FINALY --- A SPORT UTILITY VEHICLE IS NOT NECESSARILY A TRUCK. If you would consider a Hyundai Sante Fe, and Acura MDX, or a Lexus RX400 (or whatever the hell it is) or any of the "sport-cutes" a truck then you are a SERIOUS, limp-wristed fag. :iceslolan :grinyes: However! I do agree with the Ford Ranger / Explorer, Chevy S-10 / Blazer, GMC Jimmy / GMC S-15 (Sorry Geno, Olds didn't make a truck version of the Bravada... :eek: yours is a CAR...:smooch: :rofl: :swear: )

SUV definition: sport utility vehicle: n : a high-performance four-wheel drive car built on a truck chassis.

See immediately preceding paragraph. And smack whoever you copied that bullshit from. Most "High-performance four wheel drive cars have axles that would burst into a million pieces if actually used in a manner for which they are marketed... let alone would they have the clearance to get more than about 15 inches off any paved surface. :screwy:

car definition: 1. an automobile >By definition a van and suv is a kind of truck and they are all cars.

By definition any vehicle that moves with it's own propulsion system is an automobile. Cars, trucks, vans, mini-vans, motorcycles, suv's are all automobiles. A van / truck is NOT a car, and an SUV can be either depending upon the chassis.... usually not when referencing an "SUV" produced by a foreign automobile company. :owned:

That being said... I consider a Pickup Truck or any variant a truck, and anything else a car / wagon / van depending on size.:2cents: :eek7:

My Father in law calls his Chrysler Town & Country a truck, but what does he know... he's from Michigan. :cwm27:

hotrod_chevyz
12-01-2006, 04:49 PM
i got those definitions from http://dictionary.reference.com/

Perhaps the definition is correct, and the vehicles they sell as that type dont fit into their own classification.

Rally Sport
12-01-2006, 04:52 PM
BTW, just to add stuff.. there is such a thing as SUT..

http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/HummerH2SUT/Images/LeftFrontMud.jpg

The Avalanche and Cadillac Escalade EXT (Avalanche look alike) fall into that SUT category.

Anyway, my useless opinion is that a van and suv are trucks..
and jim, just because some SUVs were built "sissier" than others doesnt change their designation, just means they are for sissies.. :lol2:

No offence, TS. :)

hotrod_chevyz
12-01-2006, 05:07 PM
By any definition of "SUV" they are supposed to have 4x4, and most made these days are 2x4. Sounds like an error in classification. maybe they need to come up with a new classification for the 2x4 versions. "FUV", flaming utility vehicle.

ZL1power69
12-01-2006, 05:20 PM
u guys are making this way to complicated :shakehead :lol:

Rally Sport
12-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Actually, they make 4x2 SUVs to sell in more volumes.. main reason why there is a v6 Camaro then a Z28.

ZL1power69
12-01-2006, 06:02 PM
well most 4x2 suvs are sold to people who A. live down south or out west due to the lack of snow that would need 4x4, and B. people who want to lower them and make a street cruiser. v6 camaros are for those who want lower insurance rates and lack the additional $$$ for a v8 but still want to have the coolness of a camaro. heres my take on the suv topic:
- SUV is a truck unless its based on a car chassis and frame.
- an elcamino/rancharo is its own "breed" (although some insurance companies classify them as a trucks)
- a van is a van (mini van, cargo van, astro/safari van, converson van)
- the traditional truck is a pickup
- SUT is an suv with a pick up bed that can be converted in some way (avalanche, escalade ext, Hummer SUT, envoy xuv)

stepho
12-01-2006, 07:40 PM
By definition any vehicle that moves with it's own propulsion system is an automobile.

Sorry Jim, Trains and Planes are not automobiles.

The first person I heard call a van a truck was Canadian. So I'm going with a van is not a truck. I would agree however that a SUV is a truck. If you have a truck with a cab and seats in the bed its still a truck.

twospirits
12-01-2006, 08:04 PM
Anyway, my useless opinion is that a van and suv are trucks..
and jim, just because some SUVs were built "sissier" than others doesnt change their designation, just means they are for sissies.. :lol2:

No offence, TS. :)None taken. Besides its not as bad as being indirectly being called "a SERIOUS, limp-wristed fag" by Jim. :lol:

BTW, bite me Jim, my insurance company does say TRUCK as the designation for my Santa Fe. So there. :p

TS out (riding my Truck/Car/Extended Wagon hybrid thing-of-a-ma-jig)

cuda_dude
12-01-2006, 08:08 PM
Sorry Jim, Trains and Planes are not automobiles. that is the definition the dictionary provides

poormillionaire2
12-01-2006, 08:24 PM
You guys are getting way to into this. As far as my worthless 2 cents, I think SUV's could be considered trucks. However, I don't think a van could be considered a truck.

Genopsyde
12-02-2006, 03:31 AM
(Sorry Geno, Olds didn't make a truck version of the Bravada... :eek: yours is a CAR...:smooch: :rofl: :swear: )

Bravada is the same thing as an Envoy or Trailblazer dude.

ZL1power69
12-02-2006, 09:58 AM
Bravada is the same thing as an Envoy or Trailblazer dude.
and it was the same as a blazer or jimmy up until 01 or 02

Genopsyde
12-03-2006, 12:33 AM
i know, and those are trucks like the S10's

Earlsfat
12-04-2006, 11:12 AM
Geno, lol... Oldsmobile never made a truck. Still don't, and probably never will.

Stepho, I used the word "vehicle" to segregate anything that uses the pavement, I was going to say anything that is self-propelled but THAT would include shit like the NASA space crafts. So spank me and call me Sally, but I drive a TRUCK and a CAR and my wife drives a VAN, all automobiles, all vehicles and NONE are SUT's, SUV's, or whatever.

And I'm still going to think anyone that considers a Sante Fe, Outback, Escape or the like a truck is a complete "a SERIOUS, limp-wristed fag", lmao. That's just like a little man's complex... describe yourself and your stuff in big words to accomodate for their "smallness". (jkg) "YEP, took the ol' truck (Suzuki Raider, Kia Sportage, etc) up the mountains (20 ft above sea level) and did some serious off-roading (drove around in gravel parking lot and spun wheels for 2 minutes). Almost had to break out the winch to get her out of the river I had to cross to get there (2' wide mud puddle), but thank god to the clearance this baby has (all of 6") we powered through it and made it home (with all 185 hp / 170 ft lbs of torque)."

Admit it... unless it REALLY is a "SPORT UTILTY VEHICLE", you have a damned car. Something that's rear axles could have a hole poked in one end them and be used to sew a sweater doesn't qualify as a "high-performance" off-road vehicle, truck or SUV. Lol.

(EDIT: btw, I had and 86 blazer with the 2.8 in it... (actually for a lot longer than I'd like to admit). Yes it was technically built on a truck frame, but to me, it was a car. So, if you want to call your Bravada a truck I understand, but still disagree... we're both entitled to our opinions.)

(Edit2: Bravada is the same thing as an Envoy or Trailblazer dude. - both cars imo - even more so than yours... the newer ones are less like trucks than ever.)

Genopsyde
12-05-2006, 07:35 PM
Geno, lol... Oldsmobile never made a truck. Still don't, and probably never will.

The bravada is a truck whether you like it or not.

viperh
12-05-2006, 11:18 PM
damn, No a van or suv is not a truck. Just like a compact car is not a sports car. Granted yes most of the frames are that of truck to help with the cheapness of being built but they fall under their own categories. thank god I'd hate to own a van then pay the insurance rates of a full sized truck. Van=van and suv =suv. simple.

Earlsfat
12-06-2006, 08:23 AM
The bravada is a truck whether you like it or not.

:disappoin........................................ .. :cwm27: :lol: :rofl:

FormulaLT1
12-06-2006, 08:36 AM
damn, No a van or suv is not a truck. Just like a compact car is not a sports car. Granted yes most of the frames are that of truck to help with the cheapness of being built but they fall under their own categories. thank god I'd hate to own a van then pay the insurance rates of a full sized truck. Van=van and suv =suv. simple.
I Completely disagree and so does the majority. In most rental companys , insurance and auto manufactors, SUVs & vans are listed in the truck sub section. Also Geno made a very good point of stating, long before there was such a thing as "SUV"'s they were just called trucks.

Genopsyde
12-06-2006, 09:21 AM
the poll results speak for themselves.

Earlsfat
12-06-2006, 09:26 AM
I Completely disagree and so does the majority. In most rental companys , insurance and auto manufactors, SUVs & vans are listed in the truck sub section. Also Geno made a very good point of stating, long before there was such a thing as "SUV"'s they were just called trucks.

I gonna get it now :lol: ...

1. The majority was wrong when they thought the world was flat. :grinyes:
2. How could you call an SUV a Truck before SUV's were invented? :disappoin
3. When it was invented, just because it had the wrong name doesn't mean it should be left that way. :screwy:
4. As in my last post, or one of them anyway, a Sportage, Santa Fe, Raider, Escape, etc hardly qualify as a truck, let alone as a sport utility vehicle. :cwm27: (Yeah... I'm just busting Geno's balls, the S-10 / S-15 was the same platform as the Blazer, Jimmy & Bravada. BUT! The new ones (Envoy, Trailblazer, etc) are getting farther & farther from be able to be considered a truck.)

Ima shut up now, because it seems as though certain persons are gettin mad. :eek:

Earlsfat
12-06-2006, 09:32 AM
the poll results speak for themselves.

LMAO! A poll of 13 people, most of whom drive / own a car (more likely to consider anything taller than a camaro a truck) on whether an SUV is more like a car or a truck is not something I would consider as unbiased. :rofl:

FormulaLT1
12-06-2006, 09:47 AM
I gonna get it now :lol: ...

1. The majority was wrong when they thought the world was flat. :grinyes:
2. How could you call an SUV a Truck before SUV's were invented? :disappoin
3. When it was invented, just because it had the wrong name doesn't mean it should be left that way. :screwy:
4. As in my last post, or one of them anyway, a Sportage, Santa Fe, Raider, Escape, etc hardly qualify as a truck, let alone as a sport utility vehicle. :cwm27: (Yeah... I'm just busting Geno's balls, the S-10 / S-15 was the same platform as the Blazer, Jimmy & Bravada. BUT! The new ones (Envoy, Trailblazer, etc) are getting farther & farther from be able to be considered a truck.)

Ima shut up now, because it seems as though certain persons are gettin mad. :eek:
1. We are talking about interpation of a vehicle type (which is based on majority's view) not a matter of fact.

2. Please don't start trying to be a wise ass, you know exactly what I meant as can be seen by your question 3 which means you know exactly what I meant.

3. The name it was given was based under the standard base vehicle type it was, the SUV title was given as another divider to split it from the main frame of the typical truck.

4.You can't pick and choice what type of vehicle it is based on the name on it. If you pull a corvette emblem off a corvette and stick a Cavalier emblem on it, it does not stop being a corvette.

Earlsfat
12-06-2006, 10:33 AM
the SUV title was given as another divider to split it from the main frame of the typical truck.

ummmm.... thanks you made my point.

4.You can't pick and choice what type of vehicle it is based on the name on it. If you pull a corvette emblem off a corvette and stick a Cavalier emblem on it, it does not stop being a corvette.

Those were just examples. I'm just saying that the "definition" that a SUV is a performance off-road vehicle would preclude MOST of the SUV's from being an SUV. (if that made any sense, lol.)

You guys can call your SUV's what you want... anyone who drives a C/K1500, F150, RAM 1500, or one of their variants, etc is just gonna shake their heads (or laugh) when you call your [insert model name... RAV4, Envoy, RX400, etc] a truck.

hotrod_chevyz
12-06-2006, 11:29 AM
so....

SUV With actual trucks frame/steer/susp. = worthy

SUV with "other" frame/steer/susp. = not worthy

A bravada has a truck frame. Same as blazers. you can get lift kits for them and run on 33's. They are light too even the ones with a 2.8 v-6 will do some mudding. But nothing compares to a 70's cj5 jeep when it comes to real four wheeling. What about jeeps anyways? truck? SUV?

What did they call it back in WWII? They didnt say "lets hop in the SUV and go kick some ass over and out!"

Earlsfat
12-06-2006, 12:39 PM
so....

SUV With actual trucks frame/steer/susp. = worthy

SUV with "other" frame/steer/susp. = not worthy

z'actly... imo.

A bravada has a truck frame. Same as blazers. you can get lift kits for them and run on 33's. They are light too even the ones with a 2.8 v-6 will do some mudding. But nothing compares to a 70's cj5 jeep when it comes to real four wheeling. What about jeeps anyways? truck? SUV?

What did they call it back in WWII? They didnt say "lets hop in the SUV and go kick some ass over and out!"

I had an 86 blazer that went up just about every hill in Cumberland and Potter Counties in PA, great damned vehicle, even with the 2.8 and the catalytic conversion conversion (hollowed out). Never rolled it, but came awfully damned close a couple times. If the electrical system and brakes hadn't both failed at 300,000 miles and cost so much to fix I'd probably STILL have it. I think the only (semi) major repair was a blown heater core once, and a frozen caliper around 150,000 miles.

Jeep = Jeep.

Rally Sport
12-07-2006, 05:07 PM
They called Jeeps, Willy's Jeep in WWII, also Ford made Jeeps back in WWII but they called em model names like GP and crap.

SLPbirdy00
12-07-2006, 05:34 PM

Not excatly...Take the new Honda truck "Ridgeline"...Its a rebadged "Accord" based minivan.

Earlsfat
12-07-2006, 07:40 PM
Not excatly...Take the new Honda truck "Ridgeline"...Its a rebadged "Accord" based minivan.

No shit??? I was under the impression that the ridgeline was new from the ground up, and all truck.

Sneaky bastards.

iroczman
12-11-2006, 10:43 AM
I belive that if a suv is based on a chassis then it could be considered a truck and if not then it is a form of van/or wagon that only is drove by chicks and in the word of earlsfat SERIOUS, limp-wristed fag. and the el camino is a cruck. half car half truck= cruck

Laced
11-15-2016, 11:05 PM
Necropost after a decade, I know. But guys, you gotta understand, there is someone I found here on the Internet, who is *wrong*! See why I had to do it?

Earl: that everyone used to believe the world was flat is not true. It's a misconception that was popularized most during the 1800's when authors wrote about how Columbus was told by everyone that his ships would fall off the edge of the world! But alas, it is apocryphal.

As far back as Ancient Greece, which borders on the oldest written records we can find, it was well understood that the earth was a sphere. People noticed that below a certain line south, there was a time of day when the sun would be exactly overhead. For example, the deep bottom of a well would be illuminated. However for anywhere north of this line (which we now know is the Tropic of Capricorn... Or cancer? mea culpa) there wasn't. Above that line, there's come a time of day your shadow would get verrry short... but never all the way. The sun would never be exactly overhead above that latitude.

Eratosthenes tried to use geometry to estimate the earths circumference around 200 bc, and the number he calculated was within ~15% of the true value we now have satellite-precision measurements for--not too bad for someone living 2000+ years ago!

At any time throughout the last 2000 years, there almost certainly had to be pockets of ignorance where certain groups thought the earth was flat--that's true even today (look up the Flat Earth Society, there forums are a hoot). However the majority of humanity, that is the general knowledge base of humanity, has known the earth was round as far back as we have preserved documentation to account for.

haroon.gits
12-06-2016, 11:27 PM
An SUV is a truck if it is based on a truck chassis or its own original chassis. Full size SUV’s are built on massive truck chassis and are considered trucks.

Nicolasa Haskett
12-11-2016, 11:20 PM
SUV is sports utility vehicle. It is under a truck category perhaps because it is built on a light truck chassis

Add your comment to this topic!