Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Jetta's AC emits foul odor

mare833
11-29-2006, 07:39 AM
I'm driving a newer model '05 Jetta. Recently, we had some high water due to flash flooding that I was forced to drive my car through. The car has been running perfectly - I've put several thousand miles on it without problem. However, the car's AC/heat gives off a foul odor everytime I use it. It's slightly musty and a bit acidic, but doesn't smell like coolant. It's almost like the smell that your car gets if you leave the windows down in a rainstorm. Does anyone have any insight as to what may be causing this? I'm hesitant to take it to the VW dealer because they often recommend unnecessary and expensive fixes.

Thanks!

veedubmechanic
12-13-2006, 12:13 PM
if your interrior carpet got wet than the padding under it is most likely moldy. You can usually save the carpet by removing it drying it, but the pads and carpet will never dry unless you take the pad out ofthe car. (remove the entire interrior) Your insurance would have covered it then but since you waited some time they most likely wont now.

airgiguere
07-18-2008, 08:03 AM
My buddy works for a company named AirSept that makes products just for your type of issue. They got their start making chemicals and special tools to clean a car's ac evaporator. Mold and other microbial growth can grow in your evaporator and cause the stench. I know a lot of VW dealer's carry their evaporator cleaner and coating.

You can get info here: www.airsept.com (http://www.airsept.com)

Add your comment to this topic!