Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

4-point racing harness

x3xdelsolx3x
11-26-2006, 11:14 PM
i have a '93 del Sol and i purchased racing seats with 4-point harnesses as well. the seats were a pain in the ass to mount because i used the brackets from my stock seats and tore it all apart to fit the new seats. i was wondering about installing the harnesses. is there a pre-existing hole for each point to be screwed into, or do i have to drill and tap new holes to mount the belts?

TheSilentChamber
11-27-2006, 01:34 PM
To properly install them they would need to be anchored to welded in plates; or to a roll cage. You dont need them for street driving, and in most places it will be illegal to wear while driving on the street.

x3xdelsolx3x
11-27-2006, 01:42 PM
...but if i wanted to install them?

TheSilentChamber
11-27-2006, 01:58 PM
You could be like all the other ricers and drill holes and your floor and put a regular bolt though it. It wont protect you against much, as it will rip out of the sheet metal.

x3xdelsolx3x
11-27-2006, 11:36 PM
any other suggestions anyone?

94SolGrl
11-28-2006, 11:51 AM
take it to a welding/fab shop and have them either weld in plates for you or fabricate a harness bar for you... pricey, but it's the only way to really stay safe in them.. make sure the shop is an auto welding shop, as well.. they would be up on SCCA/NHRA safety specs, as well as knowing the proper mounting angles, etc, for harnesses. An improperly installed harness can break your back in half in a wreck. I'd rather shell out more money now and get them installed correctly than spend a CRAPLOAD of money in the hospital getting my back put back together.. kapische?

AudioGuy93DelSol
11-28-2006, 06:05 PM
Also in most states you have to have the origanial seatbelt to pass inspections so don't rip that out if you want to stay legal.

Add your comment to this topic!