Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine Squeaking

DarkWarriorXII
11-16-2006, 08:17 PM
Hi. I have a 94 Plymouth Acclaim. For the past couple of months, I've noticed the engine would squeak (sometimes rather loudly) whenever it was moist outside. Moist could be anything from rain to mornings with a lot of dew to fog. However, over the past couple days/weeks it has started squeaking all the time, no matter what the whether conditions are. I took it to the shop and they said all the belts were fine (they were just replaced a couple years ago). Anyone know what the problem may be? Thanks for any advice. :)

(Oh yeah, I noticed that it seems to squeak less when I'm accelerating while I'm driving. Any time I take my foot off the gas it gets louder.)

stompin60
11-17-2006, 02:48 PM
Take it someone else, I find it hard to believe that they sent you away without some sort of reason for the squeak. It definitely sounds like a belt, or belt tensioner. If you can not change the belts yourself, it would not be a bad idea if it has been a couple of years anyway.
I will assume that you have not done this. Pop the hood, start the car, try to determine if it seems that the sound is coming from the belts.
Sometimes when a belt tensioner is bad/broken, when you give it gas, the torque from the motor will hold it tight enough that the belt does not come off.

Other possibilities, water pump (but would have nothing to do with the weather), You could have a small leak in the radiator, or hose that is spraying onto the belts, but when driving or giving it gas the belt is staying hot, or the leak is being redirected by the air flow under the hood.

kingkevin8
01-15-2007, 06:23 PM
You could also go to autozone and getting some grease and put it on the belt or some wd-40, and it'll help the squeaking for maybe a few days, but other than that i'd change the belt/s. And also check to see if theirs any oil leaking and getting on the belt, because that could also be the problem.

jthorn11
03-15-2007, 08:48 PM
i had the same problem and actually just replaced the tensioner pulley. the squeak sounded like it came from the alternator but i decided it probably wasnt the problem because is new. when i gave the car gas the squeak would stop. new tensioner pulley solved the problem

J-Man145
01-16-2008, 07:27 PM
Hi. I have a 94 Plymouth Acclaim. For the past couple of months, I've noticed the engine would squeak (sometimes rather loudly) whenever it was moist outside. Moist could be anything from rain to mornings with a lot of dew to fog. However, over the past couple days/weeks it has started squeaking all the time, no matter what the whether conditions are. I took it to the shop and they said all the belts were fine (they were just replaced a couple years ago). Anyone know what the problem may be? Thanks for any advice. :)

(Oh yeah, I noticed that it seems to squeak less when I'm accelerating while I'm driving. Any time I take my foot off the gas it gets louder.)
Yea i have the same problem with my 93 acclaim and what you want to do is take a screwdrive and set it on your alternator and put your ear up to the handle and if you can hear the noise then it could ver possibly be your alternator bearings...

Add your comment to this topic!