Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Painting carbon fiber

banshee555
10-22-2006, 03:39 PM
may sound silly but i think i have come up with an idea on how to paint carbon fiber.

am doing a Tamiya F1 ferrari and after trying to add carbon fiber decals to the suspenion arms and not getting anywhere,i was thinking of another way.

heres what i have come up with.first i painted the arms silver and placed a 1/24 scale mesh grill over the arm and gave it a blast of semi gloss back,it came out ok but there was too much silver,so i shall paint the arm black then silver and see if the results are better.

if it all works i shall post pictures but ill have to think a bit more about it.
if anyones tryed it let me know.

reguards

karl:naughty:

Robi J
10-22-2006, 03:54 PM
Karl,

I tried something similar weeks ago, after reading a topic here at AF. I started spraying the body with semi-gloss black. Then I wrapped a piece of lady stocking (20 den) around the bodywork and sprayed with light gun metal, waited for a few minutes and removed
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a163/RJ1108/Various/202_0263.jpg

The next day I sprayed the bodywork with Tamiya PS smoke, and this is the result
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a163/RJ1108/Various/203_0309.jpg

I guess this technique could be applied to small/intermediate parts but not over bodyworks.

Bye: Robi :)

banshee555
10-22-2006, 04:31 PM
Robi that looks amazing.nice idea with the stockings.

Lownslow
10-22-2006, 05:08 PM
is pantyhose the same thing? i wanna try this trick

drunken monkey
10-22-2006, 05:26 PM
on a related note, does anyone have the actual tamiya mask for carbon paint effect?

Robi J
10-22-2006, 06:32 PM
is pantyhose the same thing? i wanna try this trick

I'm not sure, but I think so. The important point is the fabric weight, the ones I used were 20den, light enough to let the paint goes through.

Robi :)

Gamerxz
10-22-2006, 11:30 PM
Rob ... u just gave me the answer on a easier way to do a CF enzo lol...

carlisimo
10-23-2006, 02:20 AM
This is going to be interesting...

"Hi, I'll have a pack of gum, and uh... this pair of stockings..."

Al Terego
10-23-2006, 04:38 AM
This is going to be interesting...

"Hi, I'll have a pack of gum, and uh... this pair of stockings..."

"And some purple nail polish too. It's for my car models..........yes really.":rofl:

Al

kiltman
10-25-2006, 04:18 PM
What is "20 den"? My wife didn't know either. Would I find this information on the package somewhere?

Lusitano
10-25-2006, 05:12 PM
What is "20 den"?
I think it relates to the thickness or density of the fabric. Higher "dens" mean more dense material.
*You shoulda seen my wife's face with this question :uhoh: *
**Just wait till someone finds a good modeling use for fishnets or something. I ain't gonna ask then; no siree!... :p **

Cheers,
Lusitano

bvia
10-26-2006, 01:44 AM
Robi,
try a cheesecloth based tack-rag as a mask for compound curves. The adhesive used in the tack-rag (found at auto painting stores)is wax based and allows you to get a uniform pattern over the compoud curves without the stretching and distortion the nylons/hose give.

hth,
Bill

bvia
10-26-2006, 01:46 AM
Rob ... u just gave me the answer on a easier way to do a CF enzo lol...

Much, MUCH easier to use SMS decals and make your own templates than to try and paint the surface. That's what I did on my bare CF enzo and what I'll be doing on my Bare CF FXX.

hth,
Bill

Robi J
10-26-2006, 08:33 AM
kitman > As Lusitano said, 20den is the density of the fabric. At least in Italy this is measurement system and it's clearly shown on the box. Just to give you an idea, available there are stocking from 10den to 60-80den, so I choosed one of the lightest

bvia > thanks for the tip !

Robi :)

kiltman
10-27-2006, 07:57 PM
Thanks, I'm going to go pickup some "pantyhose" tomorrow.

Renelsisc
09-09-2007, 01:59 PM
hi sir,

after painting the black basecoat, how are you wrapping it with a pantyhose? I'm trying to do the hood with this method, but dont know how stretched out i should wrap the pantyhose. Thanks!

stevenoble
09-09-2007, 02:23 PM
hi sir,

after painting the black basecoat, how are you wrapping it with a pantyhose? I'm trying to do the hood with this method, but dont know how stretched out i should wrap the pantyhose. Thanks!

You need to pull the pantyhose tightly around the part you are painting and use very light,almost dry coats of paint.

Renelsisc
09-09-2007, 02:30 PM
ok i'll tape it tightly on the hood and spray it lightly. How do i know when i have sprayed enough?

stevenoble
09-09-2007, 03:06 PM
How do i know when i have sprayed enough?

It's trial and error.Just make sure you cover the whole hood because it will be impossible to line up the pantyhose again if you miss a section.If in doubt try a small test first to get the hang of it before you commit to doing it on the hood.

Add your comment to this topic!