Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Trunk Neons/LEDs?

Galuple
10-20-2006, 02:40 PM
I'm thinking of getting a couple of these to line the inside of my 92 Civic's trunk:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10031870&catid=#

I've seen them in store an they look pretty cool. so my question is, is it possible to just patch them in to the pre-existing trunk light wiring?

00accord44
10-20-2006, 03:48 PM
I don't think there is enough power running to the interior lights to light the 12V bulb. I could be wrong though. I know the headlights and taillights use 12V but it seems like the interior lights wouldn't need that much. You could wire them into your parking lights and then they would only be on when its dark enough to make a difference.

EDIT- Now that I think about it, everything in the car should operate at 12V since they all use the same power source. I guess this is when paying attention in physics class would help. Dizamn

Galuple
10-20-2006, 07:59 PM
I don't think there is enough power running to the interior lights to light the 12V bulb. I could be wrong though. I know the headlights and taillights use 12V but it seems like the interior lights wouldn't need that much. You could wire them into your parking lights and then they would only be on when its dark enough to make a difference.

EDIT- Now that I think about it, everything in the car should operate at 12V since they all use the same power source. I guess this is when paying attention in physics class would help. Dizamn

Meh, my physics teacher always spent time hitting on the asian girls in my class, although ironically enough he worked his way thru college by doing custom audio setups for people...

Anyways, thanks for the confrimation, just needed at least one person to give a second opinion:grinyes:

fiberglasscivic
10-26-2006, 07:55 AM
You can do it without much problem, but if you wire too many up to that single line then you're going to need to replace the fuse for that line with a higher amperage one. Personally I wouldn't purchase the ones that you're looking at online. Varad is a great company but that price is way too much. You can pick up a 15" tube by Optx for about the same price without shipping at advance auto parts or checkers.

Galuple
10-26-2006, 12:50 PM
You can do it without much problem, but if you wire too many up to that single line then you're going to need to replace the fuse for that line with a higher amperage one. Personally I wouldn't purchase the ones that you're looking at online. Varad is a great company but that price is way too much. You can pick up a 15" tube by Optx for about the same price without shipping at advance auto parts or checkers.

Funnily enough, I went into the store and I got the Varad one for about half that price:grinyes:

Thx for the replies!

fiberglasscivic
10-26-2006, 01:09 PM
You got a good deal then. Have you installed them yet?

ThiRteeN
11-21-2006, 01:58 PM
I say F the neons, go with LEDs. I got an underbody LED 7 color kit for $100 plus S&H.....go to www.ledunderbody.com (http://www.ledunderbody.com) thats where I got them. They are nice.

hondaman09
02-15-2007, 08:32 AM
hey i have some l.e.d.'s in my trunk. i don't know if you'd have enough power if you wired it in with the lighting that's already there. but i dunno. this is what i did. i ran a 12 gage wire from the battery to an inline fuse and then to a switch. i grounded the switch and ran all the + and - wires under the door sills, like i would a sound system. that's how i did it, i'm new to that kinda stuff so i don't know if it's the best way. but it worked for me so it can't be that bad right? the switch and all the wiring was about 10 bucks so it's cheap too.

roadrage69
10-10-2007, 02:14 AM
I love the Leds, make sure you get Flat (wide angled) LEDs though, or you will end up with SPOTS. Neons and Led Lighting is a cool effect and cheap., I like my guys at Mobile-Emotions (http://mobile-emotions.stores.yahoo.net/neonlights.html)- They even have a customized 12pc Light Kit that is out of this world. The other place I have recently found is CarXtc (http://www.carxtc.com/servlet/the-Motorcycle-Lighting/Categories). (they even have motorcycle lighting) I have tried the streetglow and the others, but I prefer these truely.

Galuple
10-11-2007, 09:54 PM
lol old topic

zendengoh
10-25-2007, 07:37 AM
may be u can try the flexible LED bar, which is easy to deco, no matter interior or exterior:p

00accord44
10-26-2007, 09:02 PM
this thread is still alive???

Add your comment to this topic!