Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Overheating ????!!!!????

earlimart
09-23-2006, 09:12 PM
I just bought a 91 range rover that has 107000 miles on it. I started to drive it home and it started to overheat. Then the heater radiator under the dash blew out while on the side of the road. I took it to a mechanic in santa paula called mannys (because it was close and have had decent work done there before) and he said the heads needed to be done. So I go for it. The heads have been totally redone and the whole shabang as far as that goes and that should solve the problem other than the heater right? Wrong, i go to pick up the car and it starts right up. I go down the road and in like five minutes its over heating, he said he changed the thermostat and that the water pump is perfect as well as the fan. :shakeheadI dont know what it could be and apparently neither does he. Oh yeah, and it had been REALLY hard to start, and still is. he says compression is good and all that. He says that there was a recall on it for the ecu (is this true)? and that it has not been done and that could be the problem, CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME? Any ideas so that i can try to help this poor mechanic fix my car? I have to inform him it seems because he obviously is having toruble. PLEASE HELP. I dont htink he is doing it on purpose so i would like the info so that i can help him out and get my car back. Thankyou everyone:confused:

avtuner
09-26-2006, 08:59 PM
get a new car that would be the first.
but if u really want to keep it to the dealer u might pay a little more just they know what they r doing and if they fix something and that doesnt fix it u can take it back and say u fucked up. but thats my advice sorry if its not much of a help

SilentNinja
10-13-2006, 10:57 AM
have you tried a radiator flush...you can get one of these at a radiator shop or a lube place(express oil change, lube express, etc...but watch them do it...because some mechanics are shade tree and they will charge you for what they didn't do...)....some radiators over time will rust and clog...trust me i know...i have a 73 nova(also a 91 range rover)....yeah....also just a thing i normally do on a overheating vehicle....turn the heater on...takes some of the heat off....

cassquervo
06-18-2007, 08:55 PM
I just bought a 91 range rover that has 107000 miles on it. I started to drive it home and it started to overheat. Then the heater radiator under the dash blew out while on the side of the road. I took it to a mechanic in santa paula called mannys (because it was close and have had decent work done there before) and he said the heads needed to be done. So I go for it. The heads have been totally redone and the whole shabang as far as that goes and that should solve the problem other than the heater right? Wrong, i go to pick up the car and it starts right up. I go down the road and in like five minutes its over heating, he said he changed the thermostat and that the water pump is perfect as well as the fan. :shakeheadI dont know what it could be and apparently neither does he. Oh yeah, and it had been REALLY hard to start, and still is. he says compression is good and all that. He says that there was a recall on it for the ecu (is this true)? and that it has not been done and that could be the problem, CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME? Any ideas so that i can try to help this poor mechanic fix my car? I have to inform him it seems because he obviously is having toruble. PLEASE HELP. I dont htink he is doing it on purpose so i would like the info so that i can help him out and get my car back. Thankyou everyone:confused:My problem turned out to be a breach in the engine causing the overheating. The dealer nor 3 certified repair centers could find this problem. My friend who happens to be a mechanic found the problem and told me the best thing would be to replace the engine. The dealer's quote was more than $10,000.00 for the engine only, no installation or additional parts. I said forget it, it will be a big flower pot in my back yard before I pay that! My friend said let me take care of it and a rebuilt engine,50,000 miles and $7,000.00 later no overheating even while towing a travel trailel trailer up the grape vine.

Add your comment to this topic!