Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 Mark VIII LS

JRTBandit
09-17-2006, 09:35 PM
Hello,

I was hoping to see if you folks would be able to help me. The car is my Uncles and I am trying to help him out, it's a 1997 Mark VIII LS 32 valve V8 with 100,000 miles (can’t remember exactly liter size).
The problem started a while back and just out of the blue the car would get a erratic idle and the car wouldn't want to run and it was almost impossible to drive. He took it to a mechanic and they scanned it and it came up with transmission overdrive idle something or another. The mechanic told to take it to a trans shop, when he went there they said they wouldn’t know what it is until they take it apart, but said he could shut off the overdrive and he may be able to drive it for awhile.
This was around 6-8 months ago and finally after a few times of the problem happening he would shut it off and it would reset itself or whatever it was doing until this last time, he said it wouldn’t clear itself so he had it towed to the trans shop. It cost him about 1200.00, it was around 550.00 in parts and the rest labor so he figured this would resolve the problem but out of the blue he said the problem happened again that it didn't want to run and he shut it off and start it again and it was fine.
I do know the car needs a tune up but if the car ran like this all the time I know the tune up may help this problem, does this sound like a problem that is common among the Marks? He is not getting any check engine light coming on so I don't know what else it could be.
Sorry about the long E-mail just want to get as much info out there.

Thanks Jeff

BlackiceLSC
10-07-2006, 11:19 AM
sad to say, it never was the tranny. it is sad that a transmission shop can legally charge you $1200+ to repair the transmission when that wasnt the problem. I am sure at 100k miles, there was some wear to the tranny, and a rebuild is something that could have been done, but that wasnt the initial problem. sad.

but, too late now

the problem is most likely the IACV (idle Air Control Valve). It meters the airflow at idle speed, and basically, keeps the engine running when at idle.

The bad news is, the part is only about $100
the good news is, on a 97-98 Mark VIII, it is so simple to change, it hurts.

when you open the hood, you will see the long black plastic inlet tube from the airbox, leading to the throttle body, top/center of engine. Bolted to that throttle body is a small silver cannister with a plug coming off it. It is about the size of a film cannister(maybe slightly larger).

replace that part, and 90% sure the problem will be solved.

the IACV or "Iac" (pronounced "eye-ak") is a common problem on many Ford engines. Just be glad your Uncle doesnt have a 93-96 Mark VIII...the part is located at the back of the engine, near the firewall, and cant even be seen from the front of the car.

Here is a picture of a 97-98 Mark VIII engine, with the part identified for you(it's one of my Mark VIII's, and this image was made for me to share this info with others, about a year ago because this question come up all the time)

http://x402.putfile.com/4/10708134153.jpg

Add your comment to this topic!