Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Loose Steering Column

Paul Scanzillo
09-06-2006, 04:05 PM
I have a '91 Sierra with tilt steering. The steering wheel is very loose. It moves up and down, left and right. The u-joint seems to be tight so I'm able to steer the truck ok. Something is definitely wrong. The main nut that connects the steering wheel to the shaft is tight to the shaft and I'm able to see the shaft moving. My first thought was a problem with the tilt steering but this wouldn't be the case since the steering wheel moves left and right. I would think a problem with the tilting could make for a loose steering wheel (up and down). The plastic shrouds that wrap the column do not seem to have a split so they aren't removeable without pulling the steering wheel (I think?). The dealer tells me their's an upper and lower shaft which is not clear on the cutsheet they faxed me. They say the lower shaft is discontinued, so if this is the problem, I will have to find a used column?? I'm not sure how to proceed with tearing into this. Any ideas??

Thanks,

Paul Scanzillo

maxwedge
09-06-2006, 07:25 PM
The 3-4 bolts that hold the tilt mechanism to the bowl are loose and the dealer didn't know this, almost every older GM tilt wheel had this. Check this link. proibhttp://www.gnttype.org/techarea/suspension/t_steering.htmllem.

Paul Scanzillo
09-06-2006, 08:23 PM
Thanks Maxwedge!!! I printed a procedure from a Roy Bond on how to do the job. His procedure list is quite detailed, so I'll give it a try. I'll have to buy a "Locking Plate Remover" for $15 and a "Pivot Pin Remover Tool" $?? to do the job. Otherwise, he says a good shop will do the job for $100.

Add your comment to this topic!