Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

expensive rivet tool options

mdshumaker
08-31-2006, 02:42 PM
Hey all,
I've got a '91 Mustang LX. The power door lock actuator rivet has broken.
I've gotten this big ol' rivet (T-rivet)from my local Ford parts department, but it's too big for my little hand riveter. I've done some online searching and found that a proper tool to do this is $40-$50. (it's a 1/4" rivet)
Is buying and $50 tool to install one rivet my only option??
Marc

motorjock205
09-05-2006, 01:20 PM
Check your local equipment rental stores where you can rent power equipment. A lot of them also rent hand tools that are specialty tools for a reasonable rate.

directory
09-08-2006, 10:47 AM
renting odd/ one off tools is the way to go. its a lot cheaper (and space saving). i know of the rivets you are talking about. a friend of mine had to rent the rivet tool when the same rivets broker in his cougar.

KimMG
09-08-2006, 12:42 PM
I was unable to locate the rivet tool in question for the window regulator in my Ford. I ended up using 6mm nuts and bolts with locktite.

smurfmobile
02-28-2007, 12:51 AM
go to the shop portion of just about any body shop and ask anybody around a toolbox if they have a rivit gun that will fit the rivit. i give freebies all the time, if for no other reason than pissing off the boss.

flybynight
03-06-2007, 07:50 PM
shouldn't be that hard to find any major tool distributor should have it even your local autozone should be able to rent you one for whatever it costs to buy it and then when you return it they'll give you all your money back

Add your comment to this topic!