Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Battery Light AND bRake Light

GtRider
08-25-2002, 10:39 PM
own a 94 G20t,
when i start my car the battery and the brake light stay on?
anyone know why thoses lightz stay on?

eeyore
08-27-2002, 04:50 AM
If the battery warning light stays on, it means the voltage drop between your battery and alternator is too great. Either your battery is knackered, or your alternator is (and if the car is starting ok, then it's likely your alternator). Checked the drive belts recently??

Brake warning light could just be worn brake pads. Each pad has a sensor which displays when the brake pad is very low. If all the pads are ok, then try disconnecting the warning sensors (the sensor is fitted onto the pads and has a connector inline on the wire about 6" back). These sensors often fail.

GtRider
08-27-2002, 05:01 PM
hey thankz fo the help!!!

boingo82
08-27-2002, 10:12 PM
It is your alternator. I and 3 others that I know of have had the exact same syptoms, and all 4 of us needed new alternators, or the existing one needed fixing. (One guy had a coolant leak that was leaking onto the alternator and shorting it out.)

lloyd_nickens
10-07-2002, 05:40 AM
boingo:
Is that if the batt and brake light come on. cause my brake light comes on but my batt light doesn't. (I assume that means it is time to replace the brakes)

boingo82
10-08-2002, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by lloyd_nickens
boingo:
Is that if the batt and brake light come on. cause my brake light comes on but my batt light doesn't. (I assume that means it is time to replace the brakes)

According to my trusty FSM, that means one of two things:
1. You've left the parking brake on.
2. You need to check your brake system for leaks, and check the brake fluid level.

lloyd_nickens
10-09-2002, 07:00 AM
I checked the bake fluid level annnnd tada that was the problem, she was low. After apologizing to my car I added brake fluid to her.

Of course then my dad called me and told me that I have to find my own insurance cause my insurance company is gonna drop me... Not cool. So now I'm frantically looking for insurance (I'm 20) so I don't lose my car... (Of course If I can find an S13 for super cheap I might consider it)

Add your comment to this topic!