Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

"threw a rod"?

MetalHeadZaid
08-22-2006, 08:32 PM
if somebody says an engine has thrown a rod, does that mean a connecting rod has disconnected from the crank shaft? which would most likely shoot the rod and piston through the head?

Greenblurr93
08-22-2006, 08:39 PM
"threw a rod" generally means the connecting rod broke somehow and is no longer directly connected to the crankshaft.. and no sometimes it wont got through the head..too much metal... they gernerally go out the side of the block and snap valves and other drastic stuff.....

MetalHeadZaid
08-22-2006, 08:43 PM
thanks for clearing that up. also, what is rod knock? im sure this must have been covered before, but i couldnt find anything. if you can direct me to a thread or something, that would be great.

Greenblurr93
08-22-2006, 08:47 PM
i believe (make sure you read the first part)..... when a bearing gets worn out and there is a little play in the rod it could "knock" a bit...its not a term i hear a lot so im not completly sure...

TheSilentChamber
08-22-2006, 10:19 PM
threw a rod can mean that its physically broken or disconnected like said above, general used to discribed a bent rod also, and also used to discribe a spun bearing. Rod knock is used to discribe the sound of the rod hitting something, weither it be a spun or busted bearing, bent rod hitting the block, ect.

MetalHeadZaid
08-22-2006, 10:46 PM
thanks alot guys.

JustSayGo
09-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Broken connecting rod bolts let the rod become disconnected. I think the bigest rod knock happens when both rod bearing shells stack up in the connecting rod causing the piston to hit the head and pound the crankshaft at the same time.

brian88
03-28-2007, 02:03 PM
rod knock is where there is excess bearing clerence on a conecting rod and it is slaping as the crank moves around in the journal it is reconzied by a knocking noise that gets louder as the engine warms up / oil thins out taking up less space also increasing bearing clearence and a thrown rod is a rod that became disconected in some way.:wink:

Mazdaspeed Ed
04-02-2007, 01:29 AM
All that it means is that the rod broke and is no longer directly connected to the crankshaft. Hope that it helps.

Add your comment to this topic!