Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

car ran like ?????

joe68
08-13-2006, 04:25 PM
hi guys
took the car to a show about 15 miles away, on the way it ran ok, not great, but ok then on the way back" it was surgeing on me .when my foot was on the gas, if i push lightly it was ok, but when i gave it gas it would surge.then it would smooth out after i let off? no backfire and it had to be a really light foot.if i push hard it would get up and go but i had to again backoff on the gas to smooth out. it like riding and bucking horse,like i know what that feel like!
thanks
joe

highlandlake
08-13-2006, 07:56 PM
Hi Joe,
Hmmm, a couple of ideas. Since it ran OK on the way there, perhaps a fuel line loosened up, such as a hose clamp near the carb or fuel pump? Or perhaps a bit of rust/scale broke free from the inside of a fuel line and is blocking the filter when under full draw? Or just maybe the vacuum hose to the distributor is loose and it's not advancing the timing?
Should be an easy fix once you find the culprit I hope.
Tom

ACLineman
08-14-2006, 03:12 PM
Kind of hard to guess when you provide no info what so ever on the car,setup, motor, year, etc......

I would guess since you said it "surged" when you put down on the throttle that it is some sort of fuel issue, meaning it could be vacume as well.

MAybe something worked loose , such as like the other gentleman suggested a fuel line, or maybe a vacume line.

Please tells us your set up & provide some info.

joe68
08-15-2006, 10:00 PM
Kind of hard to guess when you provide no info what so ever on the car,setup, motor, year, etc......

I would guess since you said it "surged" when you put down on the throttle that it is some sort of fuel issue, meaning it could be vacume as well.

MAybe something worked loose , such as like the other gentleman suggested a fuel line, or maybe a vacume line.

Please tells us your set up & provide some info.
sorry guys for late info, working on the cars, well it a 307 so don;t laugh and still has points till fri when new dist. should be here. pretty stock i may be wrong but i think it might have a small cam put it. but i did find things wrong tonight,remove cap and notice weights was not returning to home position, vacum advance was moving ans believe fine, remove fuel filter and change, remove all plugs and replace, old ones was a little dirty but look ok, did a compression check at that time, all cyl. about equal 115 to 120. better then i thought i would fine.check all vacum hoses and fuel line the best i could they all look tight. i will out back together tommorrow and see what happens.
their is a holly carb on it at this pointm but i think about removeing that,
thanks joe

ACLineman
08-15-2006, 10:28 PM
I think you found the problem, It's a 307....:grinyes: J/K of course.
I think your on the right track with the distibutor and installing an HEI (I hope your installing an HEI )

joe68
08-22-2006, 09:33 PM
just a update. well me being stubborn had to see if i can resolve this issue without changing to hei, so i replace the plugs and wires and reset carb change filter, cap, rotor,points and remove dist. and clean and lube really good.hook up to scope and was setting it all and my timming light went to @@@@ .well i guess i go shopping tommorrow.i notice i could not set the idle mixture on carb to run at the highest vacum, withput being a little rough maybe timing issue,not sure, i set timming static at first and then by ear,just to get it going well it run ok but i can get better.maybe a new carb that a little smaller it has a holly but i believe it a 650 and correct me if i am wrong, maybe a 500 on this engine might be better?

highlandlake
08-23-2006, 09:24 PM
maybe a 500 on this engine might be better?

For a 307 - a 500 wouldn't hurt - especially at the gas pump.
I had an Edelbrock 650 on my big block with a cam and it gave it all it ever wanted when my foot hit the carpet.

joe68
08-23-2006, 09:45 PM
well guys i just got in from the garage, the car ran better when all said and done, but at higher rpm she still surges or stumble. so i am changeing the carb to a elbrock 500 and it was going good till i try to hook up the gas line and found i need a diff. fitting. so the conflict conninue.will try again tommorrow. i did take it out for a ride with the old carb and it was a big, big, diff. but it was not the best it could be and the stumble was still their.i am thinking about droping the gas tank next and see what happen.

joe68
08-24-2006, 07:19 PM
ok ,install new carb. and it ran like a champ.well as good as a 307 can run.
so the holly must have been leaking internaly or suck air some how. i had a 64 ss impala and brought a brand new holly and it was always needing some adjustedment. in fact i found it in a a bin of parts.so since then i always brought elenbrock carb. thanks for the help
joe68

highlandlake
08-24-2006, 07:33 PM
Good to hear.

OZBIRN454
08-25-2006, 08:18 PM
Just wondering do you still have a points dist in the 307? If so what did you set them at? I know I had my problems with points got mad enough and bout a new HEI with the external coil and wow so much nicer lol If I remember right points get set to 18. We use to take the 307 badges and put them on the front when there was really a 396 or a 454 under the hood lol Glad to here the carb helped out.

joe68
08-25-2006, 09:22 PM
well at this time i still have the points it running pretty darn good.the dwell is set at 33 and timming is at 3 maybe 4 hard to say, advance is about 10 degree.

joe68
08-25-2006, 09:27 PM
not sure about that 18. that where i started from,most of my tunning was done by ear, after i got it close. i check it on the machines too see where i was .i reset idle mixture and timming alot of times before i was happy,remember if you change one, chances are you will change the others.

joe68
08-25-2006, 09:34 PM
i went and look at my book, and it said 16 on the gap,but dwell about28-32

Add your comment to this topic!