Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

evo & impreza are all out better than skyline

Pages : [1] 2

206wrc
08-23-2001, 03:22 AM
[B]:eek: after read a lot of books, saw a lot of reviews and test cars, i think mitsubishi lancer evolution series are better than nissan skyline in the cars' performance, stability and looks.

200sx
08-30-2001, 10:37 PM
you must be crazy, maybe stock but not when tuned to the max, and you can't even compare any of them to the looks of the R34 V-specII

Guiddy
08-31-2001, 02:33 AM
Too different a class of car! You can't compare them properly!

Autocar said they loved the EVO 6, a real supercar basher, but the Skyline is more of an autobarn stormer, the EVO is a joy machine!

SkylineUSA
08-31-2001, 04:55 AM
YA

Guiddy
08-31-2001, 12:31 PM
I dug out a great article on the EVO 6, and they really loved it!
The Skyline was mentioned, and quote "It has steering the EVO 6 would die for, but ultimately the Skyline is too wide and too heavy to keep with the EVO cross country!"

In this country especially, the Skyline would have trouble keeping with an EVO on aour contry roads, it just isn't nimble enough!

But you used the word performance, and I don't think that is true at all. The Skylines performance is out of this world! I have had the pleasure of driving an R33, and it truly was amazing!
I wouldn't have dreamt of throwing it around like the WRX my friend has let me drive, or the 106 GTI I had at the time, but for the roads you guys have in the States, not a lot will touch it!

Official figures Roger recorded for his R33 were

0-60 4.34 secs
1/4 mile 12.93 (Sorry, no speed!)
405 bhp with I/H/E and engine management mods!

EVO 6 1/4 mile (Local lad, don't know him but got good pics!)
13.1 secs!

Subaru WRX Impreza (Old shape) 13.99 secs 1/4 mile

Guiddy
08-31-2001, 12:34 PM
EVO 6 kicking Cossie butt and running a 13.15!

SkylineUSA
08-31-2001, 04:43 PM
Plus They are UGLY!

Guiddy
08-31-2001, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by SkylineUSA
Plus They are UGLY!

DAMN!!!:mad: You always gotta bring emotion into this!!!:rolleyes:

SkylineUSA
08-31-2001, 05:26 PM
I call it like I see it:D

SkylineUSA
08-31-2001, 05:38 PM
Oh, and it true. They look like Margret Thatcher would after a hard days work in the coal mine. Could image what her hair would look like.:(

verm343
08-31-2001, 08:16 PM
Don't forget how easy it is to get to nearly 1000hp without having to touch the bottom end in a Skyline; try that with a WRX

micro
08-31-2001, 10:44 PM
206 obviously has NO CLUE AT ALL...:bandit:

I mean the skyline isnt cool at all

Guiddy
09-01-2001, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by SkylineUSA
I call it like I see it:D

Yeah, but now you sound like Tommy Boy!!!:mad: :rolleyes:

SkylineUSA
09-01-2001, 04:44 AM
Oh, that one hurt:D

Gtr2.7L
09-01-2001, 09:22 PM
EVO and WRX are meant for autox....fast acceleration, low top speed. The Skyline is meant for circuit racing...a compromise between acceleration and top speed....along with tuneability. The EVO does feel much stiffer....partially due to it's shape (notice how round it is?..shorter wheel base), but put the two against each other from 100-200kph...you'll see who dominates...and by a much greater margin than the EVO lead the GTR in 0-100.

gang$tarr
09-02-2001, 01:04 AM
They don't even compare!!!! The Evo and WRX are rally cars, while IMO Skylines are flat ground racers

and IMO the Skyline looks a million times better than both of them....

Twist
09-02-2001, 10:21 AM
I love the Lancer EVO series. I like it much more than Skylines, but that's not to say that Skylines aren't awesome. I you look at the acceleration for each, the EVO beats out the Skyline up until 100 mph and then the Skyline rockets ahead. They are built for much different purpose.

Conclusion: They are both beasts of cars that dominate their respective fields.

200sx
09-02-2001, 02:02 PM
true that , i think that out of the evo and the wrx i would rather have the wrx, i think it looks better plus its lighter

gang$tarr
09-02-2001, 10:15 PM
i would much rather have an Evo over a WRX but i'd rather have a skyline over both of'em

i think the skyline looks alot more sporty.... i don't really like 4 door cars

R33
09-03-2001, 02:11 AM
It's 2 different categories of cars. But the thing is, all these cars are driven on the road and track. I mean, how many EVO and WRX owners drive their cars on rally track?:rolleyes:
The idea that these cars could beat the gtr up to 100 mph is preposterous!:rolleyes: If the cars are stock, I would say the EVO and WRX would be in front in 1st gear, in 2nd, the GTR would catch up and by the time it hits 120kph (about 80mph) it's bye bye bye! I shopud know as I had done that with the boost controller switched off.
On the track, I had wrapped up the EVOs and WRXs without the GTR even breaking a sweat. That'e my 2 cent's worth.

Twist
09-03-2001, 10:15 AM
When I said a EVO could beat out a Skyline up to a 100 mph I was comparing 0-100 acceleration times. Up until 100mph, the EVO and Skyline are fairly close with the EVO occasionally in front. After 100 mp/h though the Skyline rockets off while the EVO trails (but it's no slouch mind you!!). I can't remember what evolution and what r series I was comparing when I looked at this, but I was merely trying to make a point. Namely that they're built for much different things. The EVO is built for the quick acceleration needed for rallying, while the Skyline is built fort the speed and agility needed on the track. They are both excellent cars. On a side note: It is quite possible for the mph in this test to be kph :rolleyes: which would confirm R33's post. It's been several months since I've done this comparison.

Twist
09-03-2001, 10:27 AM
Here are acceleration times for the Skyline and EVO. I was right about the the mph being mph but wrong about the EVO beating the Skyline up until 100mph. The EVO keeps up with the Skyline or beats it slightly up until about 90 mph. Sorry about that! :D BTW, I got these times from Lancerz's site www.lancerz.com Check it out. It's quite impressive.
_____________Lancer Evo VI_______ Skyline GT-R R34
0-30 mph_______ 1.8 sec____________ 1.8 sec
0-40 mph_______ 2.4 sec____________ 2.5 sec
0-50 mph_______ 3.5 sec____________ 3.5 sec
0-60 mph_______ 4.4 sec____________ 4.6 sec
0-70 mph_______ 5.9 sec____________ 5.7 sec
0-80 mph_______ 7.3 sec____________ 7.4 sec
0-90 mph_______ 9.2 sec____________ 8.9 sec
0100 mph_______ 11.2 sec___________10.8 sec

Standing quarter mile 13.3 sec / 108mph 13.2 / 111mph
Standing kilometre 24.0 / 134mph 23.1 / 137mph

micro
09-03-2001, 04:26 PM
twist, you are a moron. okay now that we have resolved that, then lets take a look at those numbers you posted again...notice how they are even at 30 and at 50? then notice how the evo lags a bit at 70? then again at 90? whoopie freakin doo....and also b/c someone says something, it doesnt mean that they are right and everyone else is wrong. And i went to your site...and i got this msg "This Domain Name is currently parked. Please check back soon." I am sure if i wanted to spend my time looking for 0-100 speed times i could find some that say the skyline is way better, and vise versa, its all a matter of opinion b/c you arent the one that chose which runs to post, you werent there to drive the cars yourself, and you dont know the conditions of each car/track/weather/whatever else effects the times that cars run. So next time you feel the need to bold your incorrect opinion, please do it in the EVO board where it will be appreciated, and not in the Skyline board where everyone is going to tear you to shreds....we dont need another Tommy in here boasting about his bullshit and then not having anything to back it up. And no i dont really think you are a moron i just used that for shock value. and one other note, have you ever looked at either an EVO or a Skyline? I mean FREAKING DUH THE SKYLINE IS MUCH FRESHER! but alas i am too poor to have either, and also in the wrong country...:bandit:

Twist
09-03-2001, 06:19 PM
micro, i am sorry to have offended you. Lancerz told me that the site was up, but it was negligence on my part for not checking it. the website definitely works at www.lancerz.cjb.net Sorry about that. Also, i bolded my words to avoid this exact situation. i wanted to show that the lancer was only ahead by a nose. Not destroying the skyline. The bolding of the 90 mph was to show that i was incorrect about 100 mph. The Skyline and the Lancer are both spectacular cars. I absolutely love Skylines. If anything my posting of the 0-100 times proves that Skylines are better. They have a much better power band not to mention power from those marvelous turbos. :D After 90 the Skyline beats out the Lancer easily. NEVER did I say that Skylines were trash and that EVO's were "God's personal car of choice." I posted here to try to show that they're both great cars and that they're designed for different purposes. Shock value: registered.... ;) BTW, I really like the styling of both cars, but there's something about having a fourdoor car that is that powerful that appeals to me....

Twist
09-03-2001, 06:22 PM
oh and i totally and completely disagree with the topic "evo & impreza are all out better than skyline." You simply just can't compare the two (or three) cars. My final opinion is that they are all 4WD (or AWD or whatever) Turbocharged Beasts. I'd love to have any of them, but sadly they're not available in the US for any one with as small a wallet as mine. :D

micro
09-03-2001, 09:08 PM
hehe, glad to see you are in high spirits, i had reread my msg and i realized that it was kinda harsh, glad to have ya in our forum, well i guess i am not even "a part of the group yet" gotta start posting more and more to gett my special 100 posts! but anyways. glad to have ya and glad you have a good sense of humor and dont freak out..btw i would drive an evo if i was given one too, but until that happens, back to savin every penny for my 'line :bandit:

stayinRice
09-03-2001, 10:53 PM
WRX lighter than an EVO? When did that happen? Which models where you comparing Gang$tarr?

Anyway, I personally don't think these cars are too different, thay're all made to go as fast as hell!:devil: Anywhere......

Numbers to me means nothing, I guess it depends on taste, and purpose. On a track, the baddest boy will kick all asses! EVOs and WRXs would play catch-up till the finish line. But, on real world streets and highways on the other hand, how many of us are willing to go past 100mph......ok ok 140, to ditch someone. Traffic will certainly slow u down, then its all up to driver's skill.

But, I also read somewhere a japanese tuning company has tuned a EVO5 and a R33, the EVO5 was slightly quicker(!) around the same track, same day, same driver.

I don't know fellas, a small 4 door or a large 2 door? In my dreams all 3 cars are avail, and I know which is for me, but don't put other cars down cuz its not you.

One day, I'll see all you GTRs at the stop lights!

R33
09-03-2001, 11:56 PM
LOLFor sure the EVO and WRX are better in one respect ie when you drive these cars at 100mph, all the engine vibration would feel like your back being massaged by the seat. No such effect in the GTR!:D LOL...

206wrc
09-04-2001, 02:20 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: when i said about evo/wrx and skyline, i mean every part of driving. a car will never be the best unless it is better in any kind of road. to me skyline is one of the worst cars when it comes to cornering as compared with evo and wrx (they're all 4WD). in my country, a tuned skyline never win the evo/wrx when it comes to cornering (in a racing competition) and you all still say that skyline is good. now, how about it??

Guiddy
09-04-2001, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by 206wrc
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: when i said about evo/wrx and skyline, i mean every part of driving. a car will never be the best unless it is better in any kind of road. to me skyline is one of the worst cars when it comes to cornering as compared with evo and wrx (they're all 4WD). in my country, a tuned skyline never win the evo/wrx when it comes to cornering (in a racing competition) and you all still say that skyline is good. now, how about it??

It's tommy all over again innit guys!:rolleyes:

I can't be bothered with this crap!!!:(

SkylineUSA
09-04-2001, 04:29 AM
And you thought I was the second coming of Tommyboy.

Here is another kid that doesn't know a damn thing about cars. Go figure. I'm with you Guiddy.

R35
09-04-2001, 09:15 AM
Man I really missed you guys:( and all this time I thought you had gone out and shot Tommy, only to learn that he's back and as brite as ever:rolleyes:

Come on Guiddy, give him a good smack down for the rest of us:devil:

micro
09-04-2001, 12:54 PM
206, your original statement...
after read a lot of books, saw a lot of reviews and test cars, i think mitsubishi lancer evolution series are better than nissan skyline in the cars' performance, stability and looks...proves you have no taste and no idea what u are talking about, as to your second statement, i cant even understand what u are trying to say, lemme just give you 1 bit of advise, gran turismo is NOT REAL it is only a game :bandit:

R35
09-04-2001, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by micro
gran turismo is NOT REAL it is only a game :bandit:

SAY WHAT?!:eek: NO NO NO Take that back! Not true!:bloated: :alien: :licker:

Guiddy
09-04-2001, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by micro
gran turismo is NOT REAL it is only a game :bandit:

You mean I don't really own 67 cars, including a Mines R34, A Nismo R34 and the LeMans winning Mazda 787B?

Bugger, Bugger, Bugger!!!:(

Guiddy
09-04-2001, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by 206wrc
:a car will never be the best unless it is better in any kind of road. to me skyline is one of the worst cars when it comes to cornering as compared with evo and wrx (they're all 4WD).

I mean, what is the basis for this crap? You haven't driven any of these cars, you don't base any of it on experience!:(

How would you know how if the Skyline's crisp steering resembles the famous 205 GTI, or if an EVO 6 has the same chuckability as a 106 GTI, or the same confidence building chassis as a Lotus Elise! You haven't driven any of these cars, yet you give your opion as if you have!

We spent the last two pages quoting our own experiences of driving all these motors, telling you how you are wrong, or how some things you can't compare, or perhaps in some areas you are right, and your 2nd reply is that rubbish I quoted above!:rolleyes:

I mean "to me skyline is one of the worst cars when it comes to cornering as compared with evo and wrx!" IS THE BIGGEST PIECE OF AUTOMOTIVE TOSH I HAVE EVER READ!

The Skyline is one of the meanest cornerers around! This thing will chuck it's Ass out sideways and scare you silly, but all the time holding itself just on the limit, the computers ready to haul it back inline if your next steering response tells it to! One of the worst cars my Ass!

If you had said the Skyline is prone to nervous twitching on bumpy roads, or the weight of the car makes sudden direction changes difficult, you may have had a point!

Whereas "skyline is one of the worst cars when it comes to cornering!" Makes us fear the worst!

:flamer:TOMMY IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gang$tarr
09-04-2001, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Guiddy

IS THE BIGGEST PIECE OF AUTOMOTIVE TOSH I HAVE EVER READ!
[/B]

nice touch :)

gang$tarr
09-04-2001, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by stayinRice
WRX lighter than an EVO? When did that happen? Which models where you comparing Gang$tarr?

are you talkin to me?? I never said the WRX is lighter than the EVO :confused:

R33
09-05-2001, 03:17 AM
Skyline cannot take corners? That must mean that the JGTCC is a 300km straight line race! (JGTCC is JAPANESE GRAND TOURING CAR CHAMPIONSHIP for you - not Grand Tourismo which is a game). And the EVO is not even there. The WRX is there but is in a different class.
Skyline cannot take corners? Than Gandhi must be a German!:bloated: :rolleyes:

F20C
09-05-2001, 03:24 AM
This thread is funny. When did king of the road in Japan that is Skyline take second seat towards Evo7 and STi?

SkylineUSA
09-05-2001, 06:59 AM
We all know this kid has no experance in either car, except in gameland. :rolleyes:

N/A
09-05-2001, 12:53 PM
I have to say, to me the R32 & R33 Gtr is not the best in handling... well for me atleast. I would rather have a steet race in cornering in a WRX or an EVO. All 4 car i have driven.. for those who do not know, my current ride is the 33. Only time i get the GTR to handle as good as "i like it" is with the ETC on and dialed up... WRX and EVO's feel more flat corner wise.... i like this.... probably smaller in comparison too... but then again, my gf's FTO feel better than the GTR... im suspecting im doing a much higher speed or the accelaration is so quick is more dangerous...
i dont know about the R34 though... um... for example, i believe the reaction time with the 4wd system is like 1/1000 of a sec compared to the 33 which is 1/100 of a sec... Accelaration wise... geez.. for those who say the GTR slower than an EVO or WRX.... your either lying or a fool.... all i can say is... feel the POWER, TORQUE and RESPONSE

Well, anyway... everyone has their own opinion... this ofcorse is opinion as appose to FACT.... btw sounds like that kaiira guy again...

Gtr2.7L
09-05-2001, 04:15 PM
Does anyone want to bring up the fact the R34 broke the record at the Nurburging track in Germany two years ago....for fastest stock production car in the world (around that particular track)....that is until the 911 GT2 came along.....
That pretty much lays it out right there.

Guiddy
09-05-2001, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Gtr2.7L
Does anyone want to bring up the fact the R34 broke the record at the Nurburging track in Germany two years ago....for fastest stock production car in the world (around that particular track)....that is until the 911 GT2 came along.....
That pretty much lays it out right there.

Did you guys read about the BMW X5 covering the Nurburgring in under 8 minutes!!!:eek:

This thing had the engine from the BMW LeMans car!!! Covered the circuit in 8 secs under the 8 minute mark!!! Just Awesome! 192 mph down the straight!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :D

gang$tarr
09-05-2001, 05:13 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: can you point me to some links so i can read about this? That is one fast A$$ SUV!!

Guiddy
09-06-2001, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by gang$tarr
:eek: :eek: :eek: can you point me to some links so i can read about this? That is one fast A$$ SUV!!

I read about it in EVO magazine today at work, no link as such!

It was driven by Hans Stuck! Nutter whop indeed!:D

micro
09-06-2001, 06:04 PM
here ya go...if ya can read italian
http://www.motorsport.it/include/pagina.php?id=00520

if not then heres the english pages...
http://www.bmwnation.com/NEWS/010628_a.html
http://www.bmwacaportland.org/News/bmw_news_pages/06-28-01.htm

not that i read italian, b/c if i did i would probably live in italy and have my skyline by now, GO USA!!!!:bandit:

madman
09-14-2001, 08:06 PM
Couple of points I just had to mention.. Why the amount of people (both here and to my face) tell me how easy it is to make a Skyline produce 1000bhp. It took me a LOT of saving to get to a mere 450bhp. If I save for the next 4-5 years, I doubt I would have the free money to get 1000bhp. Honest folks, it isnt easy unless you have a big bank account. By that I mean very big bank acccount.

Next bit, I've also been in an EVO 6 and a WRX. Neither impressed. Both felt 'closer to the action' I would even say the Impreza felt faster than my R33. I *KNOW* it wasn't, but the way it transmit the power makes it feel a lot faster (to me anyway). The EVO just didnt impress. For a 2 litre engine it is stunning. But It looks like a real pig (Not that I think my R33 is pretty).

Finally, this cornering thing. I have seen a lot of quotes (mainly magazines) saying the Skyline would be the looser on country roads. I'm making a stand! I disagree. I think if you stick a newbie in all 3, the Skyline would loose. Yes. But someone who understands how the computers do their job would have no prolems at all. I very much doubt that with 3 experienced owners the skyline would get stuffed!

madman
09-14-2001, 08:15 PM
Oh yes, Missed something out..

I have seen so called official figures of around 11 seconds for the EVO 6 in its 100mph sprint. Yet so many independant reviews get figures that they consider disappointing of closer to 13secs. (not that I am saying this is disappointing).

Brings me to the point of how hard/expensive it is to get to 60 quickly in an Impeza/EVO. To get these stupid 100mph times yo have to dial up 6000rpm and dump the clutch and hang on. Very expensive and not really recommended.

The transmission on a Skyline does a 0-60 far happier and faster in REAL use. The rear wheels will spin slightly and bleed away some power rather than killing the clutch. I've done the 4wd rally car thing. Ive replaced clutches at 3000 miles and I don't really enjoy the cost.

So my point ermm.. Even a straight 0-100 times doesnt say it all. Maybe we should all start quoting 40-140 times. That would seperate the men from the boys ;-)

gang$tarr
09-14-2001, 08:30 PM
who would ever say it's easy to get a 1000hp out of a skyline? It's hard to do that on any car (and keep it street legal)
A skyline with 600hp is a BEAST!

R33
09-16-2001, 02:14 AM
Ahem....ermm....are u referring to my 33?:D BTW, drove the EVO 7 today on the track.....better than the 6 around corners but on the straight the 6 feels more brutal!

gang$tarr
09-16-2001, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by R33
Ahem....ermm....are u referring to my 33?:D

hehe, i was actually thinking of yours when i wrote that :D

Gasara
09-16-2001, 08:25 PM
I think Evo 5-6 looks real GREAT, though the new 7 looks FREAKIN OOGLY!

http://www.junauto.co.jp/democar/evo5/g001.jpg
http://www.junauto.co.jp/democar/evo5/g002.jpg

VEHICLE MITSUBISHI LACNER EVOLUTION V CP9A
ENGINE TYPE 4G63
BORE / STROKE 85.5mm / 94.0mm
TOTAL ENGINE DISP. 2159cc
COMPRESSION RATIO 8.5 : 1
MAX BOOST 1.9 kg/cm2
INITIAL SET PRESSURE 1.1 kg/cm2
MAX POWER 598ps / 6950rpm
MAX TORQUE 74.3kgm / 5400rpm
SETUP PARTS
CAMSHAFT JUN High Lift Camshaft
INT 272-10.8 / EXH 272-10.8
VALVE (Stock)
VALVE SPRING JUN Racing Valve Spring
VALVE RETAINER JUN Titanium Vavle Retainer
HEAD GASKET HKS
PISTON JUN Super Piston
CONNECTING ROD JUN Super Connecting Rod
CRANKSHAFT JUN Full-counter Crankshaft
TURBINE TRUST TD06SH 25G-10cm2
WESTE GATE TRUST TYPE-C
BOOST CONTROLLER TRUST B.SPEC
INTERCOOLER TRUST 3 Layer Type
PIPING JUN Prototype
INT MANIFOLD JUN Prototype
EXH MANIFOLD JUN Prototype
MUFFLER JUN Hyper Muffler (Titanium Prototype)
OIL COOLER TRUST 16 Layer Type
ENGINE OIL NEO 15w-40
RADIATOR JUN 3 Layer Type
FUEL CONTROLLER HKS F-CON V PRO (SPL-DATA)
FUEL INJECTOR JUN Injector 890cc
FUEL PUMP SARD 280l/h
CLUTCH CUSCO twin
TRANSMISSION GSR-SPEC
DIFF RATIO ---
LSD CUSCO RS
TIRE ADVAN A048-S-255/40/17
WHEEL ADVAN RG 9.5J-17+35
SUSPENSION ZEEL

YUM!

SkylineUSA
09-16-2001, 08:36 PM
Thats a Bad little car, not too streetable though.

SkylineUSA
09-16-2001, 08:39 PM
Well I should say, its streetable, but man it should have a good lope.

Chickenbum
09-16-2001, 08:41 PM
anyone forget about the Z???? ive beaten a WRX on the highway :) .....and yes he was racing ;)

Chickenbum

SkylineUSA
09-16-2001, 08:45 PM
There is always someone thats is faster. What does your car run in the 1/4?

Gasara
09-16-2001, 08:46 PM
It is streetable, they were running that baby at Nurnborging and the car got a temporary German license plate and was allowed to travel on German roads.

SkylineUSA
09-16-2001, 08:46 PM
Sorry,

Nice ride.

And welcome to AF.

SkylineUSA
09-16-2001, 08:49 PM
You can look at the cam, and tell how streetable it is. That's a fairly big one. You can tell it built more for racing than the street.

Add your comment to this topic!