Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How can I mount my boost gauge to my extra DIN - pic

AbsoluteGTR
08-08-2006, 12:39 PM
Alright, when I bought the car, it had no radio and the boost gauge was ziptied to the steering column. So I have already installed the radio in the upper part of the two section din. As you can see in the pic I want to install the boost gauge in the lower part of the two section DIN and I am asking how I can install it, to make it both secure and make it look nice.

Also if there is away I can make it tilt up just tad bit that would be awesome!

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/8901/pict0014kb0.jpg

crunchymilk55
08-08-2006, 03:10 PM
man I don't think that's a good place for a boost gauge. In order to watch it you wouldn't be able to see the road at all. Also while driving it your peripheal vision can't see it.

AbsoluteGTR
08-08-2006, 04:45 PM
man I don't think that's a good place for a boost gauge. In order to watch it you wouldn't be able to see the road at all. Also while driving it your peripheal vision can't see it.

I know, but that is the only place I would like to mount the gauge.

Any methods on how I can mount it?

Killa
08-08-2006, 04:50 PM
why dont you buy a gauge pod, that you can mount under the winshield ( your left ), but I think you have to drill pod in.

AbsoluteGTR
08-08-2006, 04:55 PM
why dont you buy a gauge pod, that you can mount under the winshield ( your left ), but I think you have to drill pod in.

Because all the wire are already running to that location including the vacuum line, and I dont want to re-run them.

Also single gauge pods are like $50 (after S&H) on ebay and triple ones are like $25????? And I would want a singlk.e one.

Any suggestions on how to mount?

sganc4life_4
08-08-2006, 05:00 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-96-97-98-99-ECLIPSE-CLUSTER-GAUGE-POD-DASH_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ46100QQihZ015QQite mZ250014415885QQrdZ1

I have something like that, just for visibility issues, its a great place and it keeps the car somewhat as a stock look...It would definately be a better idea to mount the boost gauge to where you can see it, that was if youre boosting 30psi, you know to stop....its a crude example but its for the best.

AbsoluteGTR
08-08-2006, 05:05 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-96-97-98-99-ECLIPSE-CLUSTER-GAUGE-POD-DASH_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ46100QQihZ015QQite mZ250014415885QQrdZ1

I have something like that, just for visibility issues, its a great place and it keeps the car somewhat as a stock look...It would definately be a better idea to mount the boost gauge to where you can see it, that was if youre boosting 30psi, you know to stop....its a crude example but its for the best.

Thanks but I have a 1G. I would like to mount it here. My eyes are always down by the radio, constantly changing. All i need is just help on how to do a nice looking installation.

Also, is there anyway that I can get rid of the tinted glass on the boost gauge?

Blackcrow64
08-08-2006, 05:50 PM
I didn't read anything, but from the title and the picture I'm assuming you wanna make a bracket to hold the gauge there. Make a piece of aluminum to fit in there and then use a drill with a holesaw on the end to cut out for the gauge. I think it would look nice with a little time and work. :2cents:

gthompson97
08-08-2006, 07:42 PM
Make a fiberglass mount for it (or them). That would be the really only good way to make it look stock. There are some good glassing articles on Tuners under the Tech section, check them out.

NOFX0617
08-08-2006, 07:47 PM
I remember seeing one that was made online somewhere...I thought it was MachV but I looked on there and it wasnt there....I swear I saw it on someones website though....I will keep looking...

Nayr747
08-08-2006, 11:10 PM
Or you can just use a piece of plastic. I've seen this done before with a piece that looks exactly the same as the rest of the din. Or use a piece of flat carbon fiber (sold on ebay I think and lots of other shops). Just cut a hole for the gauge to slide through, and possibly make a bracket for it on the inside of the plasic/carbon.

Here's some examples:
http://www.machv.com/cafiplsh.html
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Carbon-Fiber-DIN-Panel-for-2-Standard-2-Gauges_W0QQitemZ8060287880QQihZ019QQcategoryZ40017 QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I agree though, that's not the best place for a boost gauge. But it's not like you need to look at it that much anyway.

AbsoluteGTR
08-09-2006, 08:14 AM
Make a fiberglass mount for it (or them). That would be the really only good way to make it look stock. There are some good glassing articles on Tuners under the Tech section, check them out.

This is what I was thinking all along. I have never done tried to make anything out of fiberglass before, but I think that would be a fun project. Thanks.

nova1313
08-09-2006, 11:48 AM
http://www.diamondstarmotorsport.com/gaugeparts.shtml

check that page at the bottom they have what you need.

LouieAWDTSi
08-09-2006, 02:58 PM
A little cheaper. ---> http://store.straightlinespecialties.com/index.php?cPath=25&osCsid=9422b27724da1d9cf0b4129016472009
I used a guauge pod for my boost gauge. Maybe 20 bucks I spent. I also bought one of the din bezels that is black(not silver) and holds my cd player and s-afc1.

this civic part my even work http://store.straightlinespecialties.com/index.php?cPath=25&osCsid=9422b27724da1d9cf0b4129016472009

eclipsed at 3am
08-09-2006, 04:40 PM
on my 91 eclipse a few years ago i mounted the boost gauge in the fresh air/recirculate knob. Set it to fresh and cut out that part, and the gauge fit in there perfectly, a 2 1/2 inch gauge i think. To hold it in, I wrapped a whole roll of electrical tape around it, and then wedged it in. then i could change the angle of it and everything. Best part of all, it looked good, like it was supposed to be there.

err after about a year the tape started drying up, so everytime i would really hit the gas the boost gauge would fall out and it looked like Terminator's eye falling out of socket, with wires and vaccuum line dangling out lol

Thor06
08-09-2006, 04:59 PM
http://x11.putfile.com/11/31617012429-thumb.jpg (http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=11/31617012429.jpg&s=x11)

Heres what we did in my buddy's car until his guage pod got there. :lol:

I am going to take out my HVAC controls and put guages in there.

AbsoluteGTR
08-10-2006, 10:00 AM
on my 91 eclipse a few years ago i mounted the boost gauge in the fresh air/recirculate knob. Set it to fresh and cut out that part, and the gauge fit in there perfectly, a 2 1/2 inch gauge i think. To hold it in, I wrapped a whole roll of electrical tape around it, and then wedged it in. then i could change the angle of it and everything. Best part of all, it looked good, like it was supposed to be there.

err after about a year the tape started drying up, so everytime i would really hit the gas the boost gauge would fall out and it looked like Terminator's eye falling out of socket, with wires and vaccuum line dangling out lol

I like this idea alot. I will look into this.

Thanks guys.

eclipsed at 3am
08-10-2006, 05:31 PM
its pretty easy to get to, take off the whole vinyl(i think?) cover on that part of the dash, the bolts and everything are pretty straightforward. I think there is one screw in the vent that you have to take the vent off to get to, and one on the top left side facing the opposite direction(head of screw facing the engine) thats a little tough to get at. This was like 3 or 4 years ago so im not 100% sure, but i do know it was pretty easy, anyone with half a brain and a couple different tools could do it. after you get that cover off and the hvac control panel(big black plastic thing with the knobs on it)you'll have to take off a harness or 2 or 3 and the 3 (white?) lines running from the knobs. whichever knob you are gonna mount your boost gauge on, just cut or zip tie the corresponding line out of the way. i used the fresh air/recirculate knob(any of the other ones would be stupid cuz those are needed) so I ziptied the far right line out of the way, in case i wanted to return to stock someday. get all wires and lines off that panel and take it off.

be careful cutting. i sliced my finger using a razor and almost lobbed another finger off with pruning shears when cutting the plastic. i eventually ended up using a hacksaw (dsm ingenuity). i just cut a big square out. as long as the hole is cut out, the area around it doesnt have to look pretty, as it will be covered by the vinyl (is that material vinyl?) dash cover. make sure to keep any screw holes intact.

when you finish cutting, bold everything back up except the voer, and run the boost gauge vaccuum line up through that spot (might have to take out radio) and the power and ground wires. remember to not have a whole lot of excess vaccuum line as it will cause the gauge to be innaccurate. put the dash cover back on AND THEN connect your gauge to the lines and wires. use whatever it takes to hold the boost gauge in there. rubber bands, electrical tape, maybe make a nice bracket, whatever. anyways, good luck.

Thor06
08-11-2006, 01:19 AM
Yeah, thats what I am going to do except the boost, oil pressure, and another guage is going where the knobs are and if I feel so inclined another two are going in the spot where the vent is.

SLoe
08-11-2006, 08:25 AM
Or you can just use a piece of plastic. I've seen this done before with a piece that looks exactly the same as the rest of the din. Or use a piece of flat carbon fiber (sold on ebay I think and lots of other shops). Just cut a hole for the gauge to slide through, and possibly make a bracket for it on the inside of the plasic/carbon.

^This is what I would do. You can get ABS plasic plates from model car/hobby shops for little to nothing.:2cents:

eclipsed at 3am
08-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Yeah, thats what I am going to do except the boost, oil pressure, and another guage is going where the knobs are and if I feel so inclined another two are going in the spot where the vent is.

put an SAFC in the vent! :grinyes:

Thor06
08-11-2006, 03:21 PM
:lol: Or a backet coming out of there to hold my laptop for DSMlink.

rs97eclipse1695
08-14-2006, 09:34 PM
if you need any help on how to fiberglass ill be more than glad to help you...just send me a message...

by the way...id go with the idea of putting it where the fresh air/recirculate knob is like eclipsedat3am said:2cents:

AbsoluteGTR
08-14-2006, 10:02 PM
Oh god, I would LOVE to learn how to fiberglass. Check you PM's.

gthompson97
08-14-2006, 11:41 PM
Oh god, I would LOVE to learn how to fiberglass. Check you PM's.

Google it. There's a TON of information out there.

Add your comment to this topic!