Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Some Race Cars, Not All

Dyno247365
07-30-2006, 04:19 AM
I was going to buy a cool 4th generation Trans Am, until I searched realized that it never really was a road racer. Even the camaro, which has almost..all the same stuff is a terrific race car (I saw 8 camaros in one AGT race) and still the ratio from camaro race cars to firebird race cars is..well I've seen one, in pictures, yeah..

So I'm thinking, what is it about a car that's so much like another that there is a vital difference that means it won't be a race car? What do you think that difference is?

Dyno247365
08-01-2006, 10:49 PM
Glad to see you're all awake...

TVR Cerbera Sp. 12
08-11-2006, 07:26 PM
Hi,

I am new to this forum but I do know alot about cars.

There are alot of different factors. Maybe the suspension is weaker or maybe the steering wasn't as good. If you ask a racer that has driven both on a track, has might be able to give you better insight.

TVR Cerbera Sp. 12
08-11-2006, 07:26 PM
What happened?

drdisque
08-11-2006, 11:20 PM
what do you mean "race car"?

I know several race series that the 4th Gen TA was legal for and used in.

Dyno247365
08-12-2006, 01:38 AM
what do you mean "race car"?

I know several race series that the 4th Gen TA was legal for and used in.

Yeah I just learned myself they had TAs in the IROC series. It's just that I haven't been able to find many racing recently compared to 4th gen camaros. I was also wondering if they had an IRS as opposed to a solid axle for better handling.

cybersdorf
12-15-2006, 07:13 AM
The IROC T/As aren't really T/As. :wink:
As a rule, no unmodified road car is a racecar. The degree of modification then makes things complicated, to the point where the name and maybe the silhouette are the only connection between the road and race model. n sportscar racing in the sense of Le Mans, ALMS, or GrandAm style racing the degree of modification is quite extensive. The prototype classes don't bear any resemblance with road cars at all, of course.

Add your comment to this topic!